GENERIC NAME: atomoxetine
BRAND NAME: Strattera
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
USES: Strattera is used for the treatment of ADHD in children, adolescents and adults.
SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects of Strattera in children and adolescents are:
The most common side effects in adults are:
- Problems sleeping
- Dry mouth
- Decreased appetite
- Upset stomach
- Nausea or vomiting
- Problems urinating
- Sexual side effects
Other possible side effects include:
Possible serious side effects:
- Serious allergic reactions
- High blood pressure
- Liver failure
- Abnormal heart beats
Other serious side effects and adverse events include:
- In rare cases, Strattera causes allergic reactions, such as fluid accumulation (edema) or hives, which can be serious.
- Strattera may increase blood pressure and heart rate. Blood pressure should be measured before starting Strattera, following increases in dose, and periodically while on therapy.
- Strattera may cause severe liver injury, and patients should be instructed to contact their physician immediately if they develop symptoms or signs suggesting liver injury such as pruritus, dark urine, jaundice, right upper abdominal pain or unexplained "flu-like" symptoms.
- Priapism defined as painful and nonpainful penile erection lasting more than 4 hours have been reported in pediatric and adult patients treated with stimulants. The erection usually resolves when the drug is stopped. Prompt medical attention is required in the event of suspected priapism.
Quick GuideADHD Symptoms in Children
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.