Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Causes

What caused your athlete's foot?

Comment from: MIP, 55-64 Female Published: January 20

I've had athlete's foot for 11 years now. It acts up more severely in cold weather, whether I wear socks around the house or not. I've used prescription creams to no avail. I have seen doctors, and they prescribe the creams with little sympathy. I do not have flaking, just itching, swelling, redness and blisters when it's really bad.

Comment from: Roberto, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had athlete's foot between my toes for almost a year. My doctor prescribed Lamisil for one week (no effect), clotrimazol for six weeks (little improvement), and ciclopirox olamine for two weeks (no effect). The only thing that has worked is "toe socks" (they are like gloves for feet), made with silver fibers. They are slightly expensive ($17 a pair) but in 12 days, my skin was clear and the itching and smell were gone. Important: they must be made of silver fiber (it seems the silver kills fungi).

Comment from: DiscoInfiltrator, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have mild athlete's foot because of my job. I work as a summer camp counselor, which means I do a lot of hiking and swimming, always with shoes on for safety. This means I spend hours everyday in the heat wearing wet sock and sneakers. Luckily my case is mild with just some redness and flaking between my toes.

Comment from: Ihategivingshowers, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 13

I work as a CNA had to give showers at first of shift and then go 12 with wet shoes and socks. I decided quickly to take dry shoes and socks to change during lunch. Not really sure I have athletes foot but they are VERY dry and now is first time I've ever had stinky feet so I assume I do.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

In some (possibly mild) cases of athlete's foot special cedarsoles are a good remedy. My sister made best experiences by wearing such antifungal insoles. Maybe it helps affected persons.

Comment from: MIke, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

While watering the back yard lawn and front yard plants, I walked around alot in bare feet in old, open sandles. Both became waterlogged and I wore them inside the house as well, but not since that evening. The next day my left foot became hot and itchy between the big toe and one next to it, as this spread to on top and below the foot. This has also now spread to between all the toes on both feet even though I have been thoroughly washing (with a prescription cleanser) and treating the feet daily with Lotrimin Ultra. Now, the skin between my littlest toe, or "pinky toe" if you will, and the next one has cracked into an open sore; both feet. I'm not sure if I should continue to use any OTC athlete's foot cream/topical or any cleansers while waiting for my primary care physician appointment, which is a couple weeks away.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I am suffering with athletes foot for the past 7 months now and have been to the Doctors. I am still using Lamisil cream daily and Dacterin powder. I have also a prescription to get Lamisil 1 cream and antibiotics but am a bit worried about the long term side effects of the antibiotics.

Athlete's Foot - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?