Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had wet boots in 2011 and got very itchy yeast-like infection on my ankles that kept oozing. I went to a dermatologist after trying for a while on my own, and he was no help, wanting to give steroidal cream and he never took a sample to see what it was. After a year when I had a follow up and asked him for the diagnosis, he said he had no idea. I tried the Vicks VapoRub with horrible results. It burned my ankles so bad I thought I would lose my feet. My skin around my ankles looked like red baggy socks! The athlete's foot took several years to heal with the help of an online wound doctor. I credit him with saving my life. He said no, I would have lived but would have lost my legs. However, now that the burned skin has finally somewhat healed, I still have itchy ankles that are broken out, and now between my toes and on the top and insides of my feet. I really hope those who try the Vicks are careful. It was a disaster for me. I think I am going to try the eucalyptus oil next. I have tried baking soda soaks, and organic apple cider vinegar sprays with water, both recently have made my skin tender and raw and bubbly. I was doing real well a few months ago but decided to scrub the skin down as one place on one ankle was still itchy and broken, and both feet broke out terribly again and I'm back to square zero. So frustrating. I am glad I found this forum. I have gone through thousands of dollars in gauze and ABD pads when my feet and ankles were burned by the Vicks. At least my legs weren't amputated.

Comment from: Dutchess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I suffered from athlete's foot on my feet and hands and I ran across an article that suggested vinegar was the cure. It did help at first but it took forever before I saw any differences in my condition. So I tweaked it, I added salt, which dries out the fungus while the vinegar does its work. I had foot and hand fungus for almost 10 years and was afraid it was never going to end. But thanks to someone's post and a little intuition I am freed. So please try vinegar with salt and make it into a paste and apply to the infected area. Good luck!

Comment from: Sympathizer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I first contracted athlete's foot (AF) after a two-month hospital stay. One foot became infected from either the hospital room shower, new socks worn without first laundering, or borrowing my husband's sandals because my feet were swollen after the birth of twins. Vinegar soaks in disposable bowls and thorough drying with paper towels followed by Tinactin spray worked over the course of 3 months. I wrapped my foot in paper towels secured by a rubber band to avoid spreading the fungus to carpet/sheets. Don't rub infected areas -- when I ran a cotton ball soaked with vinegar across my foot the fungus spread rapidly from my toes to my entire sole with large blisters. My right hand was also red/itching but cleared up as my foot improved, I used a disposable medical glove when handling my children. Old socks/shoes should be discarded. I still dry all laundered socks inside out and slip paper towels into my shoes if not wearing socks. Glad to learn that Listerine/Vicks VapoRub and ingested garlic/immune system boosters also help!

Comment from: Grace34, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have suffered from athlete's foot in different parts of the body for a pretty long time. I tried all the OTC antifungal creams, sprays, powders, etc., to no avail, they only provided temporary relief. Luckily for me I stumbled upon eucalyptus oil which I diluted and applied to every single place infected with the fungus and to my surprise, all the infection were cleared within 2 weeks. I continued the treatment for another 3 weeks and I have been cured! Finally! Just thought this information might be useful to someone with a stubborn and recurring strain of the fungus.

Comment from: Sobs, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 35 years old and have been living with athlete's foot since my early twenties. I believe I got it when I bought a pair of insulated boots and was doing a lot of work inside a hot factory for ten hours a day. My biggest problem is staying on top of my foot care. I did get rid of the problem for almost two years. I used Lotrimin Ultra twice a day for two weeks and put all, or what I thought was all, of my shoes in plastic zip lock bags (separate) and placed them in my freezer for 24 hours. One day without thinking I put on an old pair of golf shoes and played 18 holes on a hot summer day. My athlete's foot came back a few weeks later. Over the years I think the fungus has developed a sort of immunity to the Lotrimin Ultra so now I am searching for alternative methods to clear up my feet.

Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?