Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: Grace34, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have suffered from athlete's foot in different parts of the body for a pretty long time. I tried all the OTC antifungal creams, sprays, powders, etc., to no avail, they only provided temporary relief. Luckily for me I stumbled upon eucalyptus oil which I diluted and applied to every single place infected with the fungus and to my surprise, all the infection were cleared within 2 weeks. I continued the treatment for another 3 weeks and I have been cured! Finally! Just thought this information might be useful to someone with a stubborn and recurring strain of the fungus.

Comment from: Sobs, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 35 years old and have been living with athlete's foot since my early twenties. I believe I got it when I bought a pair of insulated boots and was doing a lot of work inside a hot factory for ten hours a day. My biggest problem is staying on top of my foot care. I did get rid of the problem for almost two years. I used Lotrimin Ultra twice a day for two weeks and put all, or what I thought was all, of my shoes in plastic zip lock bags (separate) and placed them in my freezer for 24 hours. One day without thinking I put on an old pair of golf shoes and played 18 holes on a hot summer day. My athlete's foot came back a few weeks later. Over the years I think the fungus has developed a sort of immunity to the Lotrimin Ultra so now I am searching for alternative methods to clear up my feet.

Comment from: Smokey_Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I cured my athlete's foot, which bothered me for decades and finally was causing toenail separation, by using Vicks VapoRub applied over the entire surface of the foot and pushed under the toenail with a plastic iodine applicator. I was told by a podiatrist that the ingredients in Vicks VapoRub penetrate through the skin, and kill the fungus. I am an electrical engineer in the defense industry.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I had athlete's foot, and I was unable to get rid of it. I used Vicks Vapo Rub, and I just applied it to my feet every night before bed for about two weeks and it was gone. It was cheap and easy.

Comment from: Andrew, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I have suffered from athlete's foot since age 13. I am not 53 years. Only 2 years back I was able to completely eliminate this problem by taking oral tablet GRISOVIN (griseofulvin 125mg). I used to have watery blisters on the soles of both feet, in between the toes and near the nails and sometimes on my fingers and palms of my hands. I have tried topical creams etc to no avail until a dentist told me about GRISOVIN. I also realized I probably have a contact allergy especially when wearing rubber tongs. All of that is over. What a relief. I only have to take the tablet once a day until all the symptoms have disappeared and continued for 2 weeks before stopping. Hope this info helps. I noticed this particular drug was not listed.

Comment from: Suffer Ring, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

For athlete's foot rub Vicks VapoRub on feet, wrap in plastic wrap and then put socks on and go to bed. The best trick I've done. Also, Drymax socks are great to reduce moisture. Nothing works for too long.

Comment from: Angietigerfan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My son was in a serious car accident and was in the hospital for 30 days while there I would rub his feet with lotion, he had very mild athletes foot, although I was very careful to wash my hands I got a fungus on the pinkie on my left hand, it then spread to my right hand and now my feet, I have been to several doctors tried all the creams and Lamisil by mouth and antibiotic. I read where tea tree oil was supposed to help, so I went to the healthfood store and they introduced me to "Thursday Plantation anti-fungal treatment for nails." It is a very small bottle, but it does work, I also got tea tree oil and peppermint oil and mixed them together, I use this as lotion for my feet and it is slowly getting better, so only the natural stuff worked for me after many doctors' visits and dollars spent on medication.

Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?