Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: Dutchess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I suffered from athlete's foot on my feet and hands and I ran across an article that suggested vinegar was the cure. It did help at first but it took forever before I saw any differences in my condition. So I tweaked it, I added salt, which dries out the fungus while the vinegar does its work. I had foot and hand fungus for almost 10 years and was afraid it was never going to end. But thanks to someone's post and a little intuition I am freed. So please try vinegar with salt and make it into a paste and apply to the infected area. Good luck!

Comment from: Sympathizer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I first contracted athlete's foot (AF) after a two-month hospital stay. One foot became infected from either the hospital room shower, new socks worn without first laundering, or borrowing my husband's sandals because my feet were swollen after the birth of twins. Vinegar soaks in disposable bowls and thorough drying with paper towels followed by Tinactin spray worked over the course of 3 months. I wrapped my foot in paper towels secured by a rubber band to avoid spreading the fungus to carpet/sheets. Don't rub infected areas -- when I ran a cotton ball soaked with vinegar across my foot the fungus spread rapidly from my toes to my entire sole with large blisters. My right hand was also red/itching but cleared up as my foot improved, I used a disposable medical glove when handling my children. Old socks/shoes should be discarded. I still dry all laundered socks inside out and slip paper towels into my shoes if not wearing socks. Glad to learn that Listerine/Vicks VapoRub and ingested garlic/immune system boosters also help!

Comment from: Grace34, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have suffered from athlete's foot in different parts of the body for a pretty long time. I tried all the OTC antifungal creams, sprays, powders, etc., to no avail, they only provided temporary relief. Luckily for me I stumbled upon eucalyptus oil which I diluted and applied to every single place infected with the fungus and to my surprise, all the infection were cleared within 2 weeks. I continued the treatment for another 3 weeks and I have been cured! Finally! Just thought this information might be useful to someone with a stubborn and recurring strain of the fungus.

Comment from: Sobs, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 35 years old and have been living with athlete's foot since my early twenties. I believe I got it when I bought a pair of insulated boots and was doing a lot of work inside a hot factory for ten hours a day. My biggest problem is staying on top of my foot care. I did get rid of the problem for almost two years. I used Lotrimin Ultra twice a day for two weeks and put all, or what I thought was all, of my shoes in plastic zip lock bags (separate) and placed them in my freezer for 24 hours. One day without thinking I put on an old pair of golf shoes and played 18 holes on a hot summer day. My athlete's foot came back a few weeks later. Over the years I think the fungus has developed a sort of immunity to the Lotrimin Ultra so now I am searching for alternative methods to clear up my feet.

Comment from: Smokey_Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I cured my athlete's foot, which bothered me for decades and finally was causing toenail separation, by using Vicks VapoRub applied over the entire surface of the foot and pushed under the toenail with a plastic iodine applicator. I was told by a podiatrist that the ingredients in Vicks VapoRub penetrate through the skin, and kill the fungus. I am an electrical engineer in the defense industry.

Comment from: olivia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I think I have athlete's foot, but the only symptoms I show are blistering and that is rare for having athlete's foot so I need some more diagnosis for having blisters on both feet in the same area (inside part of the foot).

Comment from: Craig, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

White vinegar worked for me. I put my foot in a plastic bag with the vinegar for about an hour and I have seen a great reduction in my athlete's foot and nail bed fungus. I keep baby powder or corn starch in my socks when I put them on in the morning to keep the moisture under control. Good luck!

Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?