Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: chas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Of all the athletes foot medications I have tried, only Tinactin and ones containing clomethiazole have offered any significant relief. Also, I was out of my Tinactin one evening and out of desperation tried my Germ X hand sanitizer and surprisingly it brought quite a bit of relief. I don't know if it should be used often, but it did work as a temporary alternative.

Comment from: julzz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have cleared up ring worm and athletes foot with dandruff shampoo. I apply it and let it soak in for 30 minutes. Menthol works best I've found. At one time my kids and I kept passing ring worm around and at one time I put some dandruff shampoo on the ringworm and covered it with a band aid and left it for a day, the ring worm was very sore, but without further treatment it went away in a week.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

Vics Vapor Rub is the best cure I've found. I have had athletes foot for years, I have tried every powder, cream, well everything actually. Soaking in vinegar helps relieve the itching, and Vapor Rub kills the fungi. The only downside is that it works so well that the infected skin dies and falls off. It leaves you with very raw soar skin, especially between the toes.

Comment from: Cabotool, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I had athletes foot all of my life (73 years). Several years ago I started having swollen ankles and feet (lymphedema); to the point where it was almost impossible to put on my shoes. My doctor suggested topical Lamosil, which did not help. And then oral Lamosil, which in rare cases can cause a fatal liver disease. I chose not to do that. Instead I used extreme measures to have clean and dry feet. Ever day I scrubbed between my toes, on top of my toes, on the ends of my toes and under my toes with a baby bottle brush and wore only sandals. In a few months the athlete's foot was cured and the ankle swelling substantially diminished. I have also had a toe nail fungal infection. My doctor suggested tea tree oil and I am wondering if colloidal silver will help with my toe nails?

Comment from: Sprayer, 45-54 Male Published: June 08

I am now 54 years and have been free of Athletes Foot for over 20 years. The solution was so simple, every time I showered and sprayed antiperspirant under the arms, I also sprayed between the toes every day! In just a few weeks the skin started to heal and Athletes foot disappeared. I now need to spray about twice a week for prevention. My reasoning was "prevent the perspiration that Fungus lives on."

Comment from: ismat, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I think I have cured my athlete's foot that's been bothering me for 3 years now. Just 2 weeks ago, I had a very itchy foot that I keep on scratching till the skin was actually swollen and got worse and bothered me for hours and I couldn't even sleep. I didn't know what to do, so I turned on my computer hoping I could find something and that should be available in my room at that moment because it was already late to go find medicine outside. As I was reading comments in this forum, there was this person who shared about applying VICKS Vaporub to the infected area and I immediately tried it and the good thing is that it is the only available medicine I have in my room and so I tried it and itching all of a sudden stopped and it never came back since then.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have used 3 different creams and they have not helped much. Keeping feet dry and washing in salt or vinegar every night has helped and I have worn thongs around the home and this has helped a lot. I have applied tea tree oil after washing feet and this has helped a great deal.

Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?