Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: itchymom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered from athlete's foot for years (about 10 years)! My feet were covered with white, dry, scaly skin, and they itched, mostly at night. Sometimes I couldn't even sleep. I even developed white spots in my big toenails. I finally saw a dermatologist who tested my feet for fungus, and it came back negative. He said the meds I had been using over the counter made my feet drier. He said the nail spots would grow out, and they did. He gave me Salex lotion to put on my feet twice daily, and it made my feet look human. It's kind of pricey, but it's very effective! I now pumice my feet daily and use athlete's meds when needed. I keep them dry and wear only leather/canvas shoes with clean, dry socks, etc. I've noticed that when I swim a lot, the chlorine tends to make my feet look and feel better. I hope this helps anyone out there. I don't think it ever goes away. In fact, a few years ago, I made the mistake of touching my feet and then my ear and developed it in one of my ears. It was very gross, itchy, runny, etc. But with some cortisone drops and miscellaneous treatments, my ears are finally better now after about five years. Ugh!

Comment from: Suffer Ring, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

For athlete's foot rub Vicks VapoRub on feet, wrap in plastic wrap and then put socks on and go to bed. The best trick I've done. Also, Drymax socks are great to reduce moisture. Nothing works for too long.

Comment from: worriedglh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I've had athlete's foot problems for several years now. No matter what treatment I use, it comes back. I've tried all remedies, medications, pills, and treatments to no avail. I am diagnosed with HPV and have had cervical cancer in the past, resulting in the removal of my left ovary and fallopian tube. I also had two LEEP procedures. My big toe on the left foot has fungus as do my pinky toes on both feet. The left foot is the worst, and I noticed that I'm beginning to get the same fungus on my left hand on my middle finger. I had some warts on my fingers that were frozen, burned, and cut out; however, they came back along with several others on other fingers. I think I first got athlete's foot when I was in my 20s living at home and showering in the same shower as my father. At that time, the problem was regular athlete's foot with the itching, smell, and burning. Over the years, it cleared up, but in my mid 40s it came back. I've had the worst time trying to keep it away. I can't wear sandals in the summer because my feet look as if they belong to someone who's 90 years old! I am 54.

Comment from: loan_girlchicago, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had Athlete's foot on and off over the years. I had great results with using tea tree oil. You can get it at health food stores. Apply it three times a day. Also, oregano oil capsules (use as directed on the bottle) usually help within one or two days. Probiotics can help prevent future outbreaks. Garlic pills three times a day for one to two weeks work too. (You can get them odorless.) Spraying vinegar in a spray bottle on the shower/ tub after bathing helps also.

Comment from: Flutterby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have had athlete's foot for many years. I have tried all the over-the-counter medications. Nothing has worked, so far. It is only on one foot. It is very red, irritated, and extremely itchy. (It itches worse at night; I wake up to it itching badly.) I keep it clean, and I have pumiced it. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I've had numerous bouts with athlete's foot. It's very frustrating. I'm pretty sure I get it from putting on old footwear that I wore during my previous bout. I've taken to either discarding old shoes and boots and insoles, or immersing them with vinegar for a few hours, and then treating my feet (a soak in very warm vinegar gives relief that day). The key for me is to stay on top of it.

Comment from: anniep, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have had athletes foot for several years, my podiatrist was at a loss after many attempts including, lamisal tablets, steriod creams, antibiotics, etc. The severity of my condition would come and go, but never go away completely. My doctors last advice was to take walks on the beach, hoping that the sand and salt would help. It is a horrible chronic condition that I would not wish on anyone. I seem to be getting some relief right now from the vinegar soaks that I read about in this article, but I have literally tried everything, and nothing really works for very long.

Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?