Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: loan_girlchicago, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had Athlete's foot on and off over the years. I had great results with using tea tree oil. You can get it at health food stores. Apply it three times a day. Also, oregano oil capsules (use as directed on the bottle) usually help within one or two days. Probiotics can help prevent future outbreaks. Garlic pills three times a day for one to two weeks work too. (You can get them odorless.) Spraying vinegar in a spray bottle on the shower/ tub after bathing helps also.

Comment from: Flutterby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have had athlete's foot for many years. I have tried all the over-the-counter medications. Nothing has worked, so far. It is only on one foot. It is very red, irritated, and extremely itchy. (It itches worse at night; I wake up to it itching badly.) I keep it clean, and I have pumiced it. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I've had numerous bouts with athlete's foot. It's very frustrating. I'm pretty sure I get it from putting on old footwear that I wore during my previous bout. I've taken to either discarding old shoes and boots and insoles, or immersing them with vinegar for a few hours, and then treating my feet (a soak in very warm vinegar gives relief that day). The key for me is to stay on top of it.

Comment from: anniep, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have had athletes foot for several years, my podiatrist was at a loss after many attempts including, lamisal tablets, steriod creams, antibiotics, etc. The severity of my condition would come and go, but never go away completely. My doctors last advice was to take walks on the beach, hoping that the sand and salt would help. It is a horrible chronic condition that I would not wish on anyone. I seem to be getting some relief right now from the vinegar soaks that I read about in this article, but I have literally tried everything, and nothing really works for very long.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been dealing with athlete's foot for several years with little relief. I've had rough dry cracking skin on soles and heels of feet and a rash on left hand. I have tried oral medicationss and creams with little results. It's very upsetting. I stupidly took shower at a fitness center.

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

My 8-year-old son is dealing with athlete's foot. Thirty days ago, he was prescribed Lamisil oral as well as Lamisil cream and powder. The condition cleared up for a few days, but then it came back. It has not cleared up since. His mother and I are waiting further instructions from our doctor.

Comment from: Fustrated, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I've had athlete's foot twice in my life. I am currently suffering from it now. My symptoms include tenderness and pitting in my skin, almost as if the fungi is eating away my dead skin in round patterns the size of a matchstick head. Nothing seems to help, and it has even spread to my hands a bit, as it is very obvious once I get out of the bath.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I have been using Lamisil for 30 days for my athlete's foot and the rash is worse! I had a heart attack two years ago, and it seems everything has been going wrong since then. My feet are killing me, and I do everything as instructed with no progress. I wash my feet, dry them carefully, take my Lamisil and apply the cream all to no avail. I find this very odd and frustrating.

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 Female Published: August 12

I have had Tinea on my feet since staying at a Caravan Park 16 years ago. It seems to clear up in winter, but returns with a vengeance when the weather warms up. I now have a fungal nail condition on my hands and toenails which I keep brutally short and also seem to get Tinea on the palms of my hand and sides of my fingers in patches. I live in fear of getting it on my Torso. I can't get rid of it and spend a small fortune every summer on Tinea Creams. Nothing seems to help. It is impossible to get rid of.

Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?