Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I had athlete's foot, and I was unable to get rid of it. I used Vicks Vapo Rub, and I just applied it to my feet every night before bed for about two weeks and it was gone. It was cheap and easy.

Comment from: Andrew, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I have suffered from athlete's foot since age 13. I am not 53 years. Only 2 years back I was able to completely eliminate this problem by taking oral tablet GRISOVIN (griseofulvin 125mg). I used to have watery blisters on the soles of both feet, in between the toes and near the nails and sometimes on my fingers and palms of my hands. I have tried topical creams etc to no avail until a dentist told me about GRISOVIN. I also realized I probably have a contact allergy especially when wearing rubber tongs. All of that is over. What a relief. I only have to take the tablet once a day until all the symptoms have disappeared and continued for 2 weeks before stopping. Hope this info helps. I noticed this particular drug was not listed.

Comment from: Angietigerfan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My son was in a serious car accident and was in the hospital for 30 days while there I would rub his feet with lotion, he had very mild athletes foot, although I was very careful to wash my hands I got a fungus on the pinkie on my left hand, it then spread to my right hand and now my feet, I have been to several doctors tried all the creams and Lamisil by mouth and antibiotic. I read where tea tree oil was supposed to help, so I went to the healthfood store and they introduced me to "Thursday Plantation anti-fungal treatment for nails." It is a very small bottle, but it does work, I also got tea tree oil and peppermint oil and mixed them together, I use this as lotion for my feet and it is slowly getting better, so only the natural stuff worked for me after many doctors' visits and dollars spent on medication.

Comment from: UK patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had it three times in six months now. Twice it has become infected, with the infection tracking quickly up my foot and the only thing that sorts it out (apart from antibiotics) is using a footbath of potassium permanganate (called Permitabs) twice a day. It's what they used to use for soldiers who had trench foot! Makes your foot skin a bit brown for a couple of days, but it sucks all the moisture out of the area.

Comment from: sydneymale, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have fairly severe athletes foot in both feet. I tried all the over the counter medicines without success. I eventually went to the doctor's who prescribed an antifungal tablet, this also failed. I then chose to follow some of the advice I saw on the web. Mainly, daily foot soaks with apple cider vinegar (it relieves the itch wonderfully). Vaseline during the day while wearing work shoes (helps a lot). What has really started to help 7 months down the track is daily washing of the feet with an antifungal soap, drying immediately with a hair dryer and using 20% tea tree oil applied with cotton balls. This has entirely stopped the intense itching I had during the day and at night in bed. My skin is also almost entirely healed of cracks. I hope this is going to be the real solution for me. At least I have stopped the itch which was driving me insane.

Comment from: Motheroftwo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I've had athlete's foot under my breasts, a flap of skin below my tummy area, and also other skin in the groin area on and off for many, many years. It occurs in the underside areas where skin touches skin. (I've never had it on my feet.) The rash, redness, blistering, etc., used to last a couple of weeks. I can't remember the name of the cream/ointment that I last used. Thanks to the advice of a doctor at an emergency clinic, I've cut down on the number of episodes that occur and the duration. He told me to use a hand held (hair) blow dryer on these problem areas after bathing to get the areas completely dry. This is in addition to keeping the area clean.

Comment from: Silvergirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered with athlete's foot in varying degrees of discomfort for more than a year now. I have tried every form of topical treatment (too worried about side effects of oral meds). I have come across many suggestions that vinegar or Listerine can cure athlete's foot over a long period of time, like six to 12 months when used one to two times daily. After suffering for more than a year and spending hundreds of dollars, I will try it! It's only been a couple of weeks, and I feel as much relief from the $3 Listerine as I get from the $15 Lamisil.

Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?