Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: UK patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had it three times in six months now. Twice it has become infected, with the infection tracking quickly up my foot and the only thing that sorts it out (apart from antibiotics) is using a footbath of potassium permanganate (called Permitabs) twice a day. It's what they used to use for soldiers who had trench foot! Makes your foot skin a bit brown for a couple of days, but it sucks all the moisture out of the area.

Comment from: sydneymale, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have fairly severe athletes foot in both feet. I tried all the over the counter medicines without success. I eventually went to the doctor's who prescribed an antifungal tablet, this also failed. I then chose to follow some of the advice I saw on the web. Mainly, daily foot soaks with apple cider vinegar (it relieves the itch wonderfully). Vaseline during the day while wearing work shoes (helps a lot). What has really started to help 7 months down the track is daily washing of the feet with an antifungal soap, drying immediately with a hair dryer and using 20% tea tree oil applied with cotton balls. This has entirely stopped the intense itching I had during the day and at night in bed. My skin is also almost entirely healed of cracks. I hope this is going to be the real solution for me. At least I have stopped the itch which was driving me insane.

Comment from: Motheroftwo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I've had athlete's foot under my breasts, a flap of skin below my tummy area, and also other skin in the groin area on and off for many, many years. It occurs in the underside areas where skin touches skin. (I've never had it on my feet.) The rash, redness, blistering, etc., used to last a couple of weeks. I can't remember the name of the cream/ointment that I last used. Thanks to the advice of a doctor at an emergency clinic, I've cut down on the number of episodes that occur and the duration. He told me to use a hand held (hair) blow dryer on these problem areas after bathing to get the areas completely dry. This is in addition to keeping the area clean.

Comment from: Silvergirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered with athlete's foot in varying degrees of discomfort for more than a year now. I have tried every form of topical treatment (too worried about side effects of oral meds). I have come across many suggestions that vinegar or Listerine can cure athlete's foot over a long period of time, like six to 12 months when used one to two times daily. After suffering for more than a year and spending hundreds of dollars, I will try it! It's only been a couple of weeks, and I feel as much relief from the $3 Listerine as I get from the $15 Lamisil.

Comment from: itchymom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered from athlete's foot for years (about 10 years)! My feet were covered with white, dry, scaly skin, and they itched, mostly at night. Sometimes I couldn't even sleep. I even developed white spots in my big toenails. I finally saw a dermatologist who tested my feet for fungus, and it came back negative. He said the meds I had been using over the counter made my feet drier. He said the nail spots would grow out, and they did. He gave me Salex lotion to put on my feet twice daily, and it made my feet look human. It's kind of pricey, but it's very effective! I now pumice my feet daily and use athlete's meds when needed. I keep them dry and wear only leather/canvas shoes with clean, dry socks, etc. I've noticed that when I swim a lot, the chlorine tends to make my feet look and feel better. I hope this helps anyone out there. I don't think it ever goes away. In fact, a few years ago, I made the mistake of touching my feet and then my ear and developed it in one of my ears. It was very gross, itchy, runny, etc. But with some cortisone drops and miscellaneous treatments, my ears are finally better now after about five years. Ugh!

Comment from: worriedglh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I've had athlete's foot problems for several years now. No matter what treatment I use, it comes back. I've tried all remedies, medications, pills, and treatments to no avail. I am diagnosed with HPV and have had cervical cancer in the past, resulting in the removal of my left ovary and fallopian tube. I also had two LEEP procedures. My big toe on the left foot has fungus as do my pinky toes on both feet. The left foot is the worst, and I noticed that I'm beginning to get the same fungus on my left hand on my middle finger. I had some warts on my fingers that were frozen, burned, and cut out; however, they came back along with several others on other fingers. I think I first got athlete's foot when I was in my 20s living at home and showering in the same shower as my father. At that time, the problem was regular athlete's foot with the itching, smell, and burning. Over the years, it cleared up, but in my mid 40s it came back. I've had the worst time trying to keep it away. I can't wear sandals in the summer because my feet look as if they belong to someone who's 90 years old! I am 54.

Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?
Athlete's Foot - Treatment Question: What was the cure for your athlete's foot?