Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Treatment

What was the cure for your athlete's foot?

Comment from: roy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

The cure for my athlete's foot was 91 percent isopropyl alcohol 32 oz. and Equate povidone-iodine 8 oz. (or the more expensive Betadine). I bought a foot shaped Rubbermaid take along and mixed both bottles and soaked each foot for 1/2 hour every day. (Sometimes I microwave the solution for 30 seconds in the microwave to take the chill off.) The sores between my toes disappeared in a week. Now I just do maintenance once a week or whenever I feel something down there.

Comment from: Fundementals, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I have a small amount of athlete's foot infection between my 4th and 5th toe on my left foot. I tried Lamisil as instructed using it over a week and then stopping. My infection returned a week later. With my foot itching and no Lamisil with me, I tried using Peroxyl mouthwash, putting a finger under my toes to form a bowl and pouring the liquid into the gap. Peroxyl is a 1 percent hydrogen peroxide solution, it is used for disinfecting wounds. Works a treat, two days/applications later the angry red area has gone. Interestingly, during the second application, the peroxide bubbled less, suggesting something in the fungus was being consumed by it. I am not affiliated with Colgate the manufacturers, just glad to have found a way to get rid of it.

Comment from: IvoryCat, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I petted a familiar stray cat around my park on Saturday, and it sunk its claws deep in my forearm, and I am now experiencing sweats, chills, intense fatigue, malaise and nausea. Although it is not as severe as it was on Monday, it is still miserable. It says if the person has a strong immune system it just has to run its course. Not much you can do. Doctor can do a culture because it is even hard to diagnose and won't show in a culture for 3 to 6 weeks and by that time it will probably be gone. It affects the lymph nodes too. I haven't slept since Saturday night, my eyes are swollen and red, and I feel like a confused zombie. I hope it goes soon! Don't pet stray cats!

Comment from: brooklyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I bought extra strength Zincofax and used for athlete's foot. It peeled the skin off in a few days and the itch and blistering went away.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had an awful case of moccasin athlete's foot on one foot that had spread to my toe nails. I tried all the OTC creams and could not get rid of it. I thought I would eventually have to take the oral medication, but the side effects sounded awful. I read an article on a "natural health" website that said to soak in apple cider vinegar. I bought a 99 cent bottle of apple cider vinegar and swabbed my foot and nails with a paper towel dipped in the vinegar morning and night. I also used the Vicks as it was very soothing. It took a year, but the fungus is gone, even in the nails. This really works! Good luck!

Comment from: colleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

While this did not cure the athlete's foot, I was able to peel a great deal of it off by soaking my feet overnight with peroxide. I put the peroxide in a bag and put old socks over the bag.

Comment from: itchy feet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

Everyone in my family seems to be vulnerable to fungal infections of various kinds. I have had athlete's foot almost continuously since high school or younger (I'm 48 now.) Chlorine seems to knock it down pretty well (though I don't think it's ever really cured). I discovered this when I would super chlorinate (shock) my swimming pool with a product called Burn Out, which has to be pre-dissolved in a bucket of water. It has all kinds of warnings about not getting it on your skin, but some is bound to spill. I discovered by accident that it beat down the fungus. After that, I started deliberately dipping my feet in the bucket and then rinsing it off after 30-60 seconds. I have also used a solution of about one part household bleach to two parts water. It's strong stuff! But I've never been burned, and it does manage the fungus.

Athlete's Foot - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?
Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?