Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Treatment

What was the cure for your athlete's foot?

Comment from: Elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had an awful case of moccasin athlete's foot on one foot that had spread to my toe nails. I tried all the OTC creams and could not get rid of it. I thought I would eventually have to take the oral medication, but the side effects sounded awful. I read an article on a "natural health" website that said to soak in apple cider vinegar. I bought a 99 cent bottle of apple cider vinegar and swabbed my foot and nails with a paper towel dipped in the vinegar morning and night. I also used the Vicks as it was very soothing. It took a year, but the fungus is gone, even in the nails. This really works! Good luck!

Comment from: itchy feet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

Everyone in my family seems to be vulnerable to fungal infections of various kinds. I have had athlete's foot almost continuously since high school or younger (I'm 48 now.) Chlorine seems to knock it down pretty well (though I don't think it's ever really cured). I discovered this when I would super chlorinate (shock) my swimming pool with a product called Burn Out, which has to be pre-dissolved in a bucket of water. It has all kinds of warnings about not getting it on your skin, but some is bound to spill. I discovered by accident that it beat down the fungus. After that, I started deliberately dipping my feet in the bucket and then rinsing it off after 30-60 seconds. I have also used a solution of about one part household bleach to two parts water. It's strong stuff! But I've never been burned, and it does manage the fungus.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been bothered by mild athlete's foot for years. OTC creams helped for a while, but not totally clearing it up. I read online remedies and decided to try the vinegar. I soaked my feet in 1/2 inch of vinegar for 5 minutes every day for a week. There was an amazing change, no more itching or burning. I now do this once a week, and no symptoms have returned, it's been a year.

Comment from: Bella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Good hygiene is very important, but it's more important to keep your feet dry! In most cases moisture (sweat) is the reason for smelly feet. Medicated insoles are helpful. I prefer Zederna Insoles because they are made from antifungal cedar wood which helps prevent athlete's foot.

Comment from: Mr. Arturo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I've battled athlete's foot for 30 years. I've used almost all remedies available with various levels of success, but it finds a way of returning. Recently, I was advised by a local health food pharmacy to try treating my digestive tract for candida, a yeast infection, by drastically reducing sugar intake and taking probiotics and oregano oil pills intermittently, but never at the same time. The oregano oil acts as the antibiotic, and the probiotics reestablish good bacteria in the digestive tract. The results have been very encouraging after two weeks.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

During the day, I use the Equate brand at Walmart for Athlete's Foot. It is the clotrimazole usp 1%. At night I use Vick's vapor rub. It has cleared up, but it took a couple of months.

Comment from: Brooke, Female (Patient) Published: May 24

Special cedarsoles made from cedarwood cured my athlete's foot. The natural wood binds moisture and reduces nail fungus within a few weeks.

Athlete's Foot - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?
Athlete's Foot - Causes Question: What caused your athlete's foot?