Athlete's foot facts
- Athlete's foot is a common skin infection of the webs of the toes and soles of the feet.
- When caused by a fungus, athlete's foot may spread to the palms, groin, and body.
- Fungal infections of the feet are contagious and can be spread person to person or by walking on contaminated objects and floors.
- Athlete's foot may cause foot itching, burning, pain, and scaling.
- When athlete's foot is caused by a fungus, it can be treated with antifungal medications, many of which are available over the counter.
- Keeping the feet dry by using cotton socks andbreathable shoes can help prevent athlete's foot.
Get the Latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!