Patient Comments: Ataxia - Types

What type of ataxia do you have?

Comment from: Aussie Crawf, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I am currently 65 and I believe I have had spinocerebellar ataxia (SCA) all my life. I had violent trembling in my upper body from 5 to 30, then it lay dormant, till I was admitted to hospital with a suspected stroke last year. It was while I was in hospital that the resident neurologist sent me to have an MRI scan and after viewing it, concluded that I hadn"t had a stroke, but I have SCA. My symptoms are falls, staggering, difference in voice sounds, occasional swallowing and disability to put a sentence together without having enough breath to say it. I furthermore had a prescription filled for the muscle relaxants: Minipress and Duodart, as I had an enlarged prostate at the time. It should never have been prescribed to me, an ataxia patient, as our blood pressure (BP) is already low when we stand and high when we lie down, causing my BP to once read 42/76, far too low. The world medical doctors have got to realize that certain medicines and tablets are not for ataxia patients.

Ataxia - Symptoms Question: What ataxia symptoms did you experience?
Ataxia - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for ataxia? Did it help?
Ataxia - Causes Question: What caused your ataxia?
Ataxia - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your ataxia?