Patient Comments: Asthma - Medications

Which medications do you use to control your asthma?

Comment from: Sisie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have a history of colds, a few allergies, etc., but just a couple of months ago I was diagnosed with asthma, possibly COPD. Advair did not seem to be helping, in fact, it tore up the tissues in my throat. I am on Spiriva and have Ventolin. (I was rinsing after as directed). I still have breathlessness and am not enjoying this at all! The last trip to my doctor didn't help much. My specialist appointment isn't for three months!

Comment from: G Koskinen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have had asthma my whole life but about 7 years ago my asthma got so bad I could not leave my house. I get Xolair shots every 2 weeks and have done so the last 5 years. It does help but it is a slow process. Asthma has ruined my life. I can't go out in public because of smoke, perfume, hairspray and aftershave. I use my inhaler 5-7 times a day with not much help. I"m stuck in my own little world because others think it"s in my head. I would like to see then live just 1 day with my asthma and I'm sure they would see my point of view.

Comment from: Ana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I'm 32 years old. I had asthma all my life and I usually ended up in the emergency room twice a year, well there is actually 2 occasions where my asthma was completely controlled. The first one was when I was 12 or 13 years old I started seeing an allergist. I got desensitized and it worked. The treatment is based on a series of vaccines and it completely took away all my symptoms. I was a "normal" person. I jogged and danced and nothing ever got my breath away until I turned 20 or 21. After my first child it took me a long time before I found a treatment that worked, but I finally did after being in the ER twice in one week. I got an asthmatic doctor who told me he was going to give me the treatment he used and he said that I wouldn't get an attack again. Okay it was Flovent twice a day, Nasonex once in the morning, Foradil twice a day, and Singulair once a day and for the past 2 years I've been asthma free. I don't even take my Albuterol with me everywhere. I actually don't use it (I don't recommend this), but I'm truly happy with the treatment and I know is a lot, but it becomes part of your daily routine just like washing your face or brushing your teeth! I hope at least one person benefit from this comment. It has been life changing for me and I hope it would be for someone else.

Comment from: still fighting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was diagnosed with COPD about 15 yrs ago after suffering from Asthma for almost 25 yrs. I was forced to go on disability and have managed to lead a fairly normal life except I lead a very sedentary lifestyle due to shortness of breath. I quit smoking 17 yrs ago after smoking for 35 yrs. I had tried many times previously but failed until I used a nicotine patch. Thank God for that success. I know I have shortened my life but have managed with meds like Advair, Singulair, Spiriva, Theodor, Ventolin inhaler, and sometimes Predinsone to get along. I only wish I had been able to quit smoking sooner than I did but I suffered from terrible withdrawal symptoms. I lost my best friend last week to COPD. My advice - don't quit trying to quit smoking! You can succeed!

Comment from: sk8r, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have been using Advair for my asthma for a few years, and I don't know what I would do without it. I use it once in the morning and at night and when I am finding it difficult to breathe (from colds or illness). Since using Advair, my need for Ventolin has diminished dramatically. It also allows me to go for a run and figure skate, which was always difficult to do before using Advair.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Any time I get a cold or sinus infection, I end up coughing for months afterward. I can double up the Flovent. Cough syrup with Codeine works momentarily, but when it wears off the cough comes back. I use the Albuterol daily, sometimes more, but still I cough. The only thing that seems to kick it is Prednisone, but the doctors seem to think you should suffer for a good long time before prescribing it..

Asthma - Symptoms Question: What kind of asthma symptoms do you experience?
Asthma - Action Plan Question: Do you have an asthma action plan?
Asthma - Causes Question: Are family history, obesity, exposure to cigarette smoke, or other factors a cause of your asthma?
Asthma - Types Question: What type of asthma do you have? Please share your story.