Patient Comments: Asthma - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have you received for your asthma?

Comment from: Hope, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I have had asthma all my life and for the most part it was under control until I was in my early 30's but still I did relatively well after having been on Asmanex for a short time along with my Albuterol inhaler, but since they have changed it to HFA in the last year I have not been able to sustain a decent pattern of breathing. It seems that I have to use my inhaler much more regularly whereas before I could go days without it, and now I am back to using my inhaler daily up to 4 times a day. Something about this new medication and not having CFC or having HFA in it instead has definitely made it harder for me to have stability in my breathing.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I've had asthma for 6 ½ years since the age of 29. It is usually triggered by respiratory infections. Sometimes changes in weather. Whenever the kids get a cold, I end up sick even with handwashing or sanitizer's. I have a neb. at home for when I get sick. The Xopenex works somewhat with Pulmicort. Live on Albuterol I am on daily lose dose prednisone and Advair. Prednisone is a double edged sword. The side effects of pred. are hard to deal with.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

The information has been really helpful. I am actually printing it out and giving it to my boss because he yelled at me for having an asthma attack in a check stand and thought I had been faking problems previously that week.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: April 06

My daughter, who never had asthma as a child, but became a very severe asthmatic in her adult years, has tried a very unusual remedy. We are all in amazement at the results of her treatment. Once a month she sees a chiropractor gets adjusted and is now off of 2 inhalers in addition to a pill. She is doing remarkably well and has been off of medication for at least 1 year now.

Comment from: Grand-moogi, 35-44 Male Published: March 12

My son (37yr old) seems to have a choice. Either take his migraine tablets and suffer asthma or take the asthma medication and put up with the migraines. I have told him to go back to the doctor. His asthma is dreadful. You can't hold a conversation with him because of it. He takes Symbicort for asthma and Inderal for migraines.

Comment from: robyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been using Albuterol for the last 4/5 years. I notice about 2 years ago that the new atomizer I had just received did not seem to be as effective as far a getting the mist into my lungs. Seems the propellant has been changed and the main propellant in Albuterol these days is alcohol! Being a recovering alcoholic I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced alcohol cravings after using the inhaler. I have 10 years sobriety and notice after using my inhaler I get the old cravings back.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Ventolin inhalers are good for short term relief; I have found that prednisolone is good for more severe breath loss (30mg/day staged down to 20mg/day over 5 days.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

What has worked for me is Symbicort and Singulair. It has reduced the thick mucus from my lungs. Furthermore it helped a lot to leave the university hospital's (concrete horror) fungus and antibiotics infested air (worked there). Now I work in an old brick built hospital from 1913 and the air is so much better. My lungs refuse smoke of any kind: scouts fire or a chimney whatever. Sadly I had to leave a REM concert due to others smoking cigarettes. I was coughing and wheezing, although it is forbidden by law to smoke inside in public places here in Denmark.

Comment from: Lawrence, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I would like to know if there is a specialty clinic in Toronto Canada for asthma and/or related problems. My GP is giving me a med which is not helping in extreme situations and I would like to explore alternatives

Asthma - Symptoms Question: What kind of asthma symptoms do you experience?
Asthma - Action Plan Question: Do you have an asthma action plan?
Asthma - Medications Question: Which medications do you use to control your asthma?
Asthma - Causes Question: Are family history, obesity, exposure to cigarette smoke, or other factors a cause of your asthma?
Asthma - Types Question: What type of asthma do you have? Please share your story.