Patient Comments: Asthma: OTC Treatment - Diagnosis

Describe the symptoms, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of asthma.

Comment from: mami333, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

As I child I inhaled clouds of my mother"s cigarette smoke and I had allergies to dust and mold; I had severe bronchitis twice a year. A doctor told me later that I had asthma and gave me an inhaler. It made my heart race, so I stopped it and I started taking Primatene, 4 tablets a day. That works, I wheeze less and I can catch my breath. But, when I go to buy it, pharmacists and technicians have told me "you shouldn"t use this for weight loss." I don"t! They don"t see it as a legitimate treatment.

Comment from: Jeffak, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I had wheezing and coughing.

Asthma: OTC Treatment - Medication Question: What over-the-counter medications, if any, do you take for asthma? How do they compare with prescriptions?
Asthma: OTC Treatment - Side Effects Question: Describe the side effects you experience when taking OTC medication for asthma.