- Autism Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Autism Quiz.
- Parenting Principles Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Asperger's Syndrome - Experience
- Patient Comments: Asperger's Syndrome - Diagnosis
- Find a local Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician in your town
- Asperger's syndrome facts
- What is Asperger's syndrome?
- What causes Asperger's syndrome?
- How common is Asperger's syndrome?
- What are the signs and symptoms of Asperger's syndrome?
- How is Asperger's syndrome diagnosed?
- What are the risks or complications of Asperger's syndrome?
- What are the treatments for Asperger's syndrome?
- What is the prognosis for Asperger's syndrome?
Quick GuideAutism Signs, Causes, and Treatment
What is the prognosis for Asperger's syndrome?
An estimation of the prognosis of Asperger's syndrome is difficult, if not impossible, since affected individuals have variable degrees of impairment, and the provision of treatment can dramatically improve the long-term outlook for people with Asperger's syndrome. In general, when social, behavioral, and educational support is provided as needed, people with Asperger's syndrome can be expected to lead happy and productive lives.
Medically reviewed by Margaret Walsh, MD; American Board of Pediatrics
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs)." 14 Nov. 2011. <http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/index.html>.
CDC MMWR Surveillance Summaries. "Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders -- Autism and Development Disabilities Monitoring Network." MMWR Surveillance Summaries 58.10 (2009): 1-20.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV Fourth Edition. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
American Psychiatric Association. DSM-V Proposed Revisions.
Macintosh, K. E. and C. Dissanayake. "Annotation: The similarities and differences between autistic disorder and Asperger's disorder: a review of the empirical evidence." Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, and Allied Disciplines 45.3 (2004): 421-434.
Attwood, Tony. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome. Great Britain: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2006.