Patient Comments: Aseptic Necrosis - Cause

What do you think was the cause of your aseptic necrosis?

Comment from: ziggy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

My avascular necrosis (AVN) or aseptic necrosis was most likely caused by heavy prednisone use over the last 5 years due to COPD. I am a former smoker and was diagnosed with emphysema in my late 30s. I stopped smoking immediately and COPD was well managed for over 20 years by diet, exercise and occasional medication. The last 5 years however have required daily medication and frequent heavy steroid use as the exacerbations are occurring with greater frequency and lasting longer. Prednisone is a miracle for lung disease patients but is a major cause of AVN.

Comment from: Artlover70, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My necrosis was caused by prednisone, a necessity for my kidney transplant eight years ago. I have had one hip replaced and have spider fractures in the other and both knees.

Comment from: 2young4this, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I have avascular necrosis (AVN) of the femur, probably the result of a nearly 18 month run of small intestine bacterial overgrowth.

Comment from: sheepmanswife, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My aseptic necrosis was caused after I had a botched dental extraction. I finally saw the oral surgeon and he was shocked at the condition of my mouth. I have never had this much pain before. It is constant and unrelenting! New stitches have to be in for at least 4 weeks.

Comment from: MathMadness, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with Cushing's syndrome about 3 years ago. About a year ago I started having pain in my left foot, just behind the big toe. As it turns out, I have AVN (avascular necrosis) of the bones in my left foot. I am having surgery this week to remove a minor bone (sesamoid bone) and to fuse the joint of the big toe.

Comment from: ANN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

My aseptic necrosis was due to steroids prednisolone.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

My aseptic necrosis was due to thrombocytopenia.

Aseptic Necrosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with aseptic necrosis?
Aseptic Necrosis - Risk Factors Question: Did or do you have risk factors for developing aseptic necrosis? Please share your concerns.
Aseptic Necrosis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you have for aseptic necrosis?