Patient Comments: Ascites - Experience

Please describe your experience with ascites.

Comment from: RSmith, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My sister has abdominal bloating (ascites) and has to be drained every 2 weeks; 7 to 9 liters each time. She is undergoing chemotherapy for stage 4 breast cancer. She had been diagnosed as cancer free only 3 weeks before the swelling started, but then they found cancer cells in the first draining. They have told her they can't put in a catheter but I saw on another site that they can.

Comment from: martha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have had blood tests and my doctor says my liver and kidneys are normal. I show loss of muscle from my legs and arms but my doctor says I am getting old. I have gained 17 pounds in the last year with a bloated belly. I am concerned about ascites but the doctor does not give me any answers.

Ascites - Cause Question: What was the cause of the ascites you experienced?
Ascites - Risks and Causes Question: What were your risks for developing ascites?
Ascites - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with ascites in you, a friend, or relative?
Ascites - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of ascites?
Ascites - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for ascites?