Patient Comments: Ascites - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for ascites?

Comment from: judi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Yesterday I had 3 liters of fluid drained off. It was very painful to have the numbing needle go in first. Not good, and very sore today. Sadly, I've been terribly thirsty, and drinking much fluid. Fluid seems to be going right back to my abdominal cavity´┐Ż I'm almost as bloated today as yesterday before draining. I'm still very thirsty. After the initial procedure for ascites I was relieved to have less pressure. I'm going to check and see if the doctor can put in a port to drain fluids daily without all the pain.

Comment from: steen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been given 40 mg of furosemide for ascites, I take it every morning. It gives me really bad stools after a few days. My whole body is swollen with fluid, but my doctors won't drain the fluid.

Ascites - Cause Question: What was the cause of the ascites you experienced?
Ascites - Risks and Causes Question: What were your risks for developing ascites?
Ascites - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with ascites in you, a friend, or relative?
Ascites - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of ascites?
Ascites - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ascites.