Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other causes of ascites include portal hypertension, congestive heart failure, blood clots, and pancreatitis. The most common symptoms include increased abdominal girth and size, abdominal bloating, and abdominal pain. Treatment depends on the cause of ascites.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...learn more »
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...learn more »
In This Article
Colon Cancer Article
- Colon cancer facts
- What is cancer?
- What is cancer of the colon and rectum?
- What are the causes of colon cancer?
- What are the symptoms of colon cancer?
- What tests can be done to detect colon cancer?
- How can colon cancer be prevented?
- What are the treatments and survival for colon cancer?
- What is the follow-up care for colon cancer?
- What does the future hold for patients with colorectal cancer?
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as gallstones, high cholesterol...learn more »
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...learn more »
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...learn more »