Patient Comments: Ascites - Cause

Question:What was the cause of the ascites you experienced?

Comment from: Ascites in RVD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with what the doctor is calling severe ascites in RVD (regulatory volume decrease). I have to go to hospital at least 3 times in a month to have at least 2-4 liters removed from my abdomen. The x-ray shows the enlargement of the heart shadow which is a sign of heart failure (causing ascites). I have been experiencing this condition for the past 12 months since I was put on HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) and TB (tuberculosis) treatment simultaneously. I am not too sure of the cause of enlarged heart shadow as I am not alcoholic. This condition is disturbing me a lot causing a lot of tiredness and breathlessness over very small activities. I am always on Lasix, spironolactone and digoxin. I am not sure if this will help because I am now not active despite being a bread winner in the family.

Comment from: Monk, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My wife aged 55, has pelvic ascites. Physicians have done many tests to know the cause, but without result. For 6 years, she has had ascites, and doctors have found nothing. But now she is finding it painful and is suffering, and I don't know what I can do for her.

Comment from: amused 55, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My husband has developed ascites due to hepatitis C, he has never been a big drinker or had any blood transfusions that we are aware of. We believe he contracted his hepatitis while serving in the Air Force. (Although the air force doesn't agree with that analogy.) In the past three weeks he has had 6.1 liters of fluid removed, then 7.7 liters of fluid and last week another 5.5 liters and will have to go again by the end of this week. He has a different genotype of hepatitis C so although he has been through interferon and ribavirin treatments twice it did little more than lower his viral count. He has been so sick and has little to no energy. He tells me all the time that his is in a great deal of pain.

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My brother was an alcoholic with severe kidney damage and ascites. He died a week ago, and the death certificate lists cirrhosis and ascites as the cause of death. He experienced vomiting and diarrhea for about a day and a half before passing on. I do not think he followed closely the dietary restrictions he needed to follow, and he refused to go to the hospital for his symptoms. He ended up dying at home, traumatizing my 88-year-old mother with whom he lived. I guess I will always wonder what kind of pain he experienced as he died.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

Frequent but poor urination and abdominal tuberculosis caused my ascites.

Comment from: Jimbo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

My ascites developed after a bone marrow transplant. It is unknown why this occurred as I am Not a drinker and have perfect liver and kidney function and the heart is strong and without problems. A *Denver Shunt* was implanted and it has worked wonderfully. I have had to return for fluid removal just once, as before I was in every 2-3 weeks. I lead a normal life but the shunt does appear as a large lump on my right lower rib cage.

Comment from: patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am not sure if this will help but my ascites is from donating a kidney, and apparently the lymph nodes next to where they removed the kidney are supposed to seal themselves and have not done that yet anyway. I had 3 liters pumped from my abdomen last month and have to go back and have it done again this week. They told me to stay on a fat-free diet and this would help.

Comment from: pntotilo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I have severe ascites, which has gotten extremely painful. I have cirrhosis caused by hepatitis C and lots of alcohol. My quality of life is like a -25. You don't want go there. Help anyone you who may have a problem – before it's too late.

Comment from: Silvia33, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I experienced bloating in stomach which was diagnosed as ascites. I have had five liters removed and next week. I will have seven liters removed. Test results of fluid showed I had ovarian cancer. Operation included total hysterectomy, removal of tubes, ovaries, omendum, cervix, and six months of chemotheraphy. It was determined I have Stage III carcinoma, serous ovarian cancer since 05-2007. It has returned twice and now I am about to start my third chemo regimen, hair loss all three times. This is not an easy disease to have.

Ascites - Risks and Causes Question: What were your risks for developing ascites?
Ascites - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with ascites in you, a friend, or relative?
Ascites - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of ascites?
Ascites - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for ascites?
Ascites - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ascites.