Patient Comments: Ascites - Cause

Question:What was the cause of the ascites you experienced?

Comment from: Djohn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I've had diffuse bronchiectasis symptoms for 40 years; treated for atypical asthma and officially diagnosed via CT 5 years ago. Although classified as mild, cylindrical bronchiectasis my symptoms are often severe and paradoxical. I may stop breathing momentarily but my oxygen saturation levels stay fairly normal. I rarely sleep through the night and have taken sleeping pills for many years to keep working. I take Inhaled steroid/bronchodilator (have tried most of both) with limited benefit, some improvement. Albuterol nightly via inhaler helps. Air quality really affects my breathing; anything beyond 'code green' means trouble. Exercise has kept me functional with limited progression of lung damage per se. I try to avoid outside exercise on bad-air days. I have recently added deep breathing for symptom control with promising results.

Comment from: Ally, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 02

Yikes, today I had a nosebleed that literally lasted 3.5 hours. While at my desk, I felt I had a runny nose and post nasal drip. I sucked it in and kept working. I remember finding it unusual that I had a runny nose. I am generally in great health, did not have a cold or any other symptoms. This just started suddenly. After sucking it up about 3 more times, I reached for a tissue when blood just started dripping on my desk. I blew my nose to clear my nostril and, oh boy! The tissue could not hold the huge blood clot the size of a golf ball. I immediately grabbed more issue and pinched my nose. I felt my nostril clogging up but did not want to blow again. I tilted my head slightly back and felt something roll down the back of my throat causing me to choke. I decided to let it take its course. Like a cat, I coughed up what was another golf ball sized blood clot. For someone who never had a nosebleed, this was surely no small introduction. No headache, no pain, not even lightheaded. Tissue after tissue, this was not normal. I stuffed tissues in my nose and kept my head straight while trying to stay level headed. Clots continued to form, and either clogged my nose to the point where I could not breathe, or slid down my throat. For the next 2 hours, this same pattern continued. Two boxes of tissues later, it stopped.

Comment from: peter love, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a heart attack, resulting from stress. I am taking water pills and spironolactone plus a heart pill. I have to be drained about every 4 weeks as the pills cannot keep up with the ascites. The first time we took 10 kg of water, and I could go home after the procedure but now we get 15 to 20 kg in a hospital and it's not enough.

Comment from: Mudduck10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My ascites was due to ovarian cancer, early stage, thank goodness. I was one of the lucky ones, but it was only discovered because of a diagnosis of endometrial cancer as well.

Comment from: Ascites in RVD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with what the doctor is calling severe ascites in RVD (regulatory volume decrease). I have to go to hospital at least 3 times in a month to have at least 2-4 liters removed from my abdomen. The x-ray shows the enlargement of the heart shadow which is a sign of heart failure (causing ascites). I have been experiencing this condition for the past 12 months since I was put on HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) and TB (tuberculosis) treatment simultaneously. I am not too sure of the cause of enlarged heart shadow as I am not alcoholic. This condition is disturbing me a lot causing a lot of tiredness and breathlessness over very small activities. I am always on Lasix, spironolactone and digoxin. I am not sure if this will help because I am now not active despite being a bread winner in the family.

Comment from: Worried, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have rheumatoid arthritis and my legs swell up and my stomach and my knees hurt. I get tired when I walk, I wonder if I get ascites.

Comment from: yasagi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had bleeding after food, wonder if gastritis can cause it.

Ascites - Risks and Causes Question: What were your risks for developing ascites?
Ascites - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with ascites in you, a friend, or relative?
Ascites - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of ascites?
Ascites - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for ascites?
Ascites - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ascites.