Patient Comments: Ascites - Cause

Question:What was the cause of the ascites you experienced?

Comment from: 18Scotland, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 06

My wife's ascites is most likely caused by radioembolization and chemotherapy induced liver damage which is a disease resulting from SIR-Spheres and FOLFOX. Besides ascites, high bilirubin causing yellowing of eyes, and high ALP (2 x normal). Not much out there on radioembolization and chemotherapy induced liver damage/disease. Tests rule out portal hypertension and other normal causes.

Comment from: Big Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

My abdominal ascites was caused by congestive heart failure. Diuretics have drained me of about 5 liters of fluid. I have lost weight, and my waistline is two inches smaller. I feel a whole lot better. I urinate often during the day, and not much at night, because I take my diuretics early in the morning.

Comment from: icanbeatthis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

My ascites was due to metastases of a breast cancer that had been diagnosed 12 years earlier. The original breast cancer had spread to my uterus, cervix, and ovaries. I had a total hysterectomy and have been on chemo now for two years. I still have ascites off and on, but if it is bothersome, I have it drained. I'm still fighting and waiting for a cure.

Comment from: Felicitas, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 17

On a recent CT scan I was diagnosed with small ascites in the pelvis and the abdomen. However I have never been a drinker and both my heart and liver are normal. I also have a flat stomach with no inflammation. My symptoms are periodic severe stomach pains in the upper section of my stomach followed by severe inflammation of the abdomen. No ulcers nor any other abnormality of the stomach diagnosed.

Comment from: Stevo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I don't know yet. All liver function tests were normal and a CT scan ordered. No history of cirrhosis in family and I drink maybe one a week. I can't help but worry, though.

Comment from: Connie, Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had a liver transplant in 2004. I was in the hospital a few weeks ago because of headaches, but while they were checking me out they said I have a sac of fluid in my abdomen. I am scheduled to see a surgeon. I also had an open sore on my stomach which they said was staph. Not sure how serious this it yet.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: March 09

I have what the Dr. is calling "Traumatic Ascites". Because they have eliminated all of the textbook answers and can find no reason for it. About a month after I took a hard fall directly on my stomach it began to occur. When I fell I was carrying something and should have dropped it and didn't. I am on Lasix and Spirolactone. Our local Dr. suggested going to Mayo Clinic. I very much doubt if they would find anything but run all the tests that have already been run.

Comment from: warka, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 30

My mother has been diagnosed with ascites. She is still under diagnosis process of an underlying cause of ascites. She is not malignant, albumin is fine, liver ultrasound is ok. Further investigations are underway. She is 72 and has been on Hemodialysis for the past 11 years. Her heart is really weak. She also has a pace maker for slow pulse. She is very frail and it's difficult for a daughter to see her in such a situation.

Comment from: Warriorwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

My ascites was the first symptom I had of ovarian cancer. My abdomen started expanding, first slowly and I thought it was just weight gain. It was not much, just enough that my slacks were tighter to fasten. I didn't think anything was wrong that a little diet and exercise could fix. Then the distension increased rather rapidly over a two week period. Even though I was feeling fine, I consulted a doctor who ordered a CT scan. That discovered the ascites and other scan findings were suggestive of late stage ovarian cancer. I was eventually diagnosed with stage IIIC ovarian cancer and am in the great fight.

Ascites - Risks and Causes Question: What were your risks for developing ascites?
Ascites - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with ascites in you, a friend, or relative?
Ascites - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of ascites?
Ascites - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for ascites?
Ascites - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ascites.