Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Cyclefit, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

Once I read that it's good to start exercising, I began the day after my knee arthroscopy for a medial meniscus surgery and cleanup of some other areas in my left knee. I have no pain, a little discomfort, but I haven't needed crutches and by day two I'm walking almost normal. I ride bikes and had no discomfort riding so I was able to keep my leg strong going into this surgery.

Comment from: SuzyQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had arthroscopic meniscus surgery on April 13, 2017 to repair a large posterior flap and another small medial degenerative tear. I did quite a lot of preparatory exercises before the surgery that my doctor had recommended. I was on bed rest the first 48 hours. I used crutches 5 days total. I started physiotherapy after 8 days. Minus a little swelling I have almost no pain at all. I am average weight and in pretty good shape for my age. My advice is find a good doctor and follow his instructions! My husband didn't and he's still in pain and limping after 6 months!

Comment from: Erez, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I'm 30 years old and had my knee arthroscopy surgery exactly 2 months ago. I got my injury during basketball game, a small tear at lateral meniscus. Surgery lasted 32 minutes, and I could walk couple of hours after it. The huge pain I had at my quadriceps has gone away after a month. Now my knee has little swelling and the bending thing got really better, almost full bend. Straightening the leg was never a problem. I'm still having some pain while running and jumping but it gets a little bit better every day.

Comment from: Impatient patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had keyhole knee arthroscopy 6 days ago. I can walk fine and go up and down stairs but my calf muscle and quadriceps are tender and the pain is bad when I change from sitting to standing.

Comment from: morph, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had knee arthroscopic surgery on 19/02/2017 for medial meniscal tear with chondral flap medial femoral condyle. Prior to surgery I had constant severe pain and unable to straighten leg. I had unsettled sleep as any movement caused extreme pain. Operation was at 09.00 hours; I came around in recovery room at 10.00 hours; was seen by physiotherapist at 11.45 hours who had me walk along the corridor, unaided and instructed me how to climb stairs. I did not take pain medication, although offered. I was given instruction sheet for exercises and told to resume normal walking as soon as I felt able. No walking aid offered. By following day I was back out walking. Extreme pain gone from the moment I woke up in recovery, although some mild pain now and then. My knee clicks and feels 'grumbling' but otherwise much better. The physiotherapist told me that if I had been running marathons before the knee problem I could start back training 2 weeks after the operation. I'm 64 years of age!

Comment from: weekend warrior, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I am going on my 7th week after arthroscopic knee surgery for a partial meniscectomy. I still have a bit of residual tightness and tenderness in the knee, and cannot fully bend the knee to 135 degrees (I can't kneel on it or do full squats). However, I am quite satisfied with the result. Prior to the surgery, I couldn't bend my knee even 45 degrees without pain, and walked with a noticeable limp. Now, despite the above mentioned issues, I can walk without pain, and am back to exercising using low impact cardio like stationary cycle. I do feel much better than before the surgery, and it will be a few more weeks until I feel no more tightness and pain. I think two things helped me with my recovery. One was the mindset going into surgery that every person is different. People heal at different rates, experience pain at different levels, based on different factors such as age, ability for body to recover, fitness, etc. There were times when I did get discouraged myself, particularly around the third and fourth weeks, when it seemed like I was still in a lot of pain and swelling. But I kept reminding myself that everyone is different and to keep on with the physical therapy, and a few weeks later I felt much better. The second thing that helped is taking physical therapy seriously. I actually started doing light exercises on my knee on the second day after surgery, using a handout my doctor gave me. I started formal physical therapy (PT) with a therapist 8 days after surgery; at the time I was using a cane to walk. My therapist warned me that it would take some time for me to get better, as I had waited months to get surgery, and there was a lot of scar tissue, buildup, and the after effects of the surgery itself. She also told me there would be days when I may relapse for a little as my knee continued to recover. The first PT session was agonizing, and I could not put weight on the knee for a few days afterwards. But I knew this kind of pain was necessary to get my knee to fully function one day. I stuck religiously to my PT schedule, never missing a day and also doing the exercises on my own.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?