Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I had my knee scoped for the third time last week and it's basically keeping me walking and sane until I need a knee replacement. I'm doing all my exercises daily, more so on the bike at the gym every day for 1/2 an hour. It's very tight which I don't remember from the last two arthroscopies, but I'm hoping that'll subside in the next few weeks.

Comment from: nosy z., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I had a bilateral knee arthroscopy on the 11th October 2015. Till now the pain is agonizing. I do not have a pain free second, minute, hour. I made things worse by using skipping rope in a way of losing weight, I'm back into crunches. I think I have damaged my knees more.

Comment from: JC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I have had previous surgery on shoulder back, and left knee, recovered fully and continued playing sport at decent level. I had right knee arthroscopy to repair tear, and general tidy up last week, 7 days ago, but on leaving hospital missed any help, advice, etc., from the surgeon or physiotherapist, and can't get any contact. I am weight bearing, have sharp pain occasionally but it is getting easier. I guess I need to start exercising but unsure how to progress.

Comment from: Audrey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee 3 years ago. It was very successful. I recovered very quickly. But suddenly I feel the same pain. Two days ago there was a 'pop' in my knee. Now I am in a lot of pain. I wonder if this can happen a second time. I thought I would be set for life!

Comment from: Kneefixed1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am in my early 50s, and I have had a bad right knee since my early 20s. One day while walking my left knee snapped. I was in severe pain, but I kept going because I had to that day. About 8 minutes later I had sudden intense pain, so bad I passed out. Turns out I probably had a Baker's cyst rupture (had no idea what that even was until this happened). Four weeks later I had arthroscopic surgery to repair frayed meniscus, flipped meniscus and ligament tear. I used a crutch for a couple days, took Aleve for pain, and iced a lot. I started physical therapy 3 days following surgery. I continued improving, swimming in the pool once my scars closed, and did stationary bike, lots of stretching and balancing exercises. I was doing great until 5 week point, then while walking, again had a sudden pop in that knee below one of my incision points. Painful! I stayed off of it as much as possible a couple days, then started again in the pool, and the bike. Now it is just aching all the time, but seems to be improving. I will repair my right knee in next couple months. I had a good surgeon who doesn't believe in cortisone injections (until last ditch effort). You must go to physical therapy following surgery, they will teach you many tricks to help turn your muscles back on and rebuild their strength, especially if you've been off of it for weeks.

Comment from: Alabama, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

Four months after arthroscopic knee surgery I was still limping and in a lot of pain. Research provided two options, surgery to remove scarring from excess bleeding or knee manipulation while under anesthesia. I thought perhaps a chiropractor could manipulate the knee. Fortunately I live in a place that has a physician who first was a chiropractor. He was able to manipulate my knee and I walked out pain free with no limp. He said my muscles in that leg had locked up during surgery which is rare but he had seen it several times before. I hope this information helps. Many chiropractors might be able to do the same thing.

Comment from: Limpy Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I had arthroscopic surgery 4 weeks ago for partial lateral meniscectomy as the joint had stared locking periodically. I developed hemarthrosis in joint post-surgery which interrupted physiotherapy. The surgeon was concerned it was infected so took me back to the theatre after 3 weeks for washout and drain insertion. After 1 week, swelling has subsided and knee is slowly improving. I am concerned that I cannot fully straighten the knee.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?