Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Experience

For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?

Comment from: Bacontrails, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Reading all of these comments have me concerned. I had arthroscopic surgery on 5/4/2017 so I am recouping at home. I fell down the stairs and had two torn menisci, ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tear and two large bone bruises. I started physiotherapy last week and improved my range of motion and I'm walking on one crutch now. My issue is that I still have a huge hematoma which is extremely painful, swollen and bruised. If you're reading this before your own knee surgery, let no one kid you. It is extremely painful. No one told me about the muscle spasms jolting my out of my sleep or swelling and weakness I would experience in the first two weeks after surgery. I'm concerned that I may have pain forever after reading some of these comments. I have had surgery in the past for other areas of the body but nothing has compared to this knee surgery.

Comment from: pammyb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

On June 3, 2016 I had a knee arthroscopy, due to a fall months prior. As of September 12th I can still barely walk, even after cortisone injection less than a month ago and 9 weeks of physical therapy. The pain is excruciating and the swelling from above my knee to foot is unbelievable. I was off work for 10 weeks. I will not return to the original surgeon. Next week I have appointment with another surgeon 60 miles from my home since 3/4 of the orthopedic doctors in my area are affiliated and won't see me and the only other group doesn't accept my insurance.

Comment from: Indymom12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had arthroscopic surgery to clean up torn meniscus last July (2015). Right before surgery my knee was starting to feel pretty good. Now 6 months after surgery it is more painful than ever. I have had physical therapy and Synvisc injections. They worked for about 2 months. When I initially tore my meniscus the doctor I had then told me he did not like to do surgery on patients over 40 because it made the arthritis more aggressive and they were usually worse off. I did not want to hear that and wanted my knee fixed. Now I'm thinking he may have been right, since right before the surgery (almost 5 years after the initial tear) my knee was finally starting to feel better.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had arthroscopic surgery five months ago to scrape arthritis, doctor also said I had torn meniscus and removed part of it. I did great for first two weeks then pain and swelling started. Doctor suggested cortisone injection which lasted two days. Then he suggested Synvisc injections which did nothing. He prescribed Celebrex twice a day. Now I am back in physical therapy and that is making it worse. I am in more pain now than before the surgery. Can hardly walk and in terrible pain all day. I should not have had surgery! I have to see a rheumatologist now; for more drugs probably.

Comment from: Ellie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

In September my right knee felt tight. Two days later, while walking down the steps, I heard a loud crack and I collapsed from pain in my knee. I had a torn meniscus. I had arthroscopic surgery on December 4 and I still have severe pain. I have arthritis in my left knee and have pain in that knee as well. Physical therapy made it worse and the Orthovisc injections have not helped either knee. They are both weak and painful. I wake up every night with aching and I get sharp pains on the medial side of my knee when I walk. I have already lost my job because I can't work (I am a nurse and on my feet 8 to 10 hours a day). My orthopedic doctor acts like it shouldn't be a big deal. He hasn't ordered any more tests. I do have a pain management doctor who ordered an x-ray but I can't get it until I have insurance. I am wondering if it is because there is no more padding between the bones.

Arthroscopy - Recovery Question: How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?