Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Alabama, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

Four months after arthroscopic knee surgery I was still limping and in a lot of pain. Research provided two options, surgery to remove scarring from excess bleeding or knee manipulation while under anesthesia. I thought perhaps a chiropractor could manipulate the knee. Fortunately I live in a place that has a physician who first was a chiropractor. He was able to manipulate my knee and I walked out pain free with no limp. He said my muscles in that leg had locked up during surgery which is rare but he had seen it several times before. I hope this information helps. Many chiropractors might be able to do the same thing.

Comment from: Limpy Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I had arthroscopic surgery 4 weeks ago for partial lateral meniscectomy as the joint had stared locking periodically. I developed hemarthrosis in joint post-surgery which interrupted physiotherapy. The surgeon was concerned it was infected so took me back to the theatre after 3 weeks for washout and drain insertion. After 1 week, swelling has subsided and knee is slowly improving. I am concerned that I cannot fully straighten the knee.

Comment from: almostused, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had knee arthroscopy and Baker's cyst drained on 15 November 2016. I am still not recovered, no 2 week checkup, at 5 weeks the doctor tried to inject Cortizone (SP) and in his words I had a blowout. My left knee now extends backwards about 5 to 7 degrees more than my right and can't withstand my body weight (144) for more than a couple minutes before it just buckles. I know not all arthroscopies are successful and have no intention of blaming anyone. I am going tomorrow for a second option and see if my leg is salvageable.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had knee arthroscopy surgery on October 2015. After 5 months I am in a lot of pain. I have been doing therapy and massages two times a week. I am in a lot of pain. The doctor told me to take Tylenol but it doesn't help. I have to take Oxycocet sometimes for the pain but it helps for a while. I wouldn't recommend this surgery.

Comment from: Atschmid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had medial meniscus repair with arthroscopy on 1/22/16. I didn't realize there was a Novocain like substance that was killing the pain and so the next day, when I felt great, I took my dog for a long walk! Mistake! The day after that I was in pure agony. So the recovery has been slow. I am 57 I had a discectomy and hemilaminectomy when I was 32 at L4 L5, and the surgery cured me of back pain. I was hoping this would go as well, but I am feeling my age! Still I am able to walk now, once I get going (stiff at first) and am doing physical therapy. I am hoping that another few weeks will take care of residual pain.

Comment from: gomes, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I had both knees scoped for torn meniscus medial and lateral. I have one knee done twice. I am not real pleased with the results. The catching is gone but arthroscopy is not a fix for thin or missing meniscus. I think the surgery is over-prescribed by doctors and overrated as far as what it can do. Currently there is no fix for missing meniscus unless you want total knee replacement. Synvisc one doesn't work either. I am not miserable enough to want to go get my knees sawed off so waiting for someone to have some other fix invented; perhaps a synthetic meniscus.

Comment from: Sandy R, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee 5 years ago. The doctor was supposed to do a knee replacement but chose not to and wanted to fix my knee as best he could. The day of surgery when I tried to get up off bed something inside my knee ripped, I had sharp pain and swelling like a huge bubble on side of my knee. It turned out he cut my ligament too short and reattached it. Nothing was done about this pocket of blood and fluids for 3 months. Soon it became infected and my knee was getting worse instead of better. My regular doctor insisted the surgeon went in to fix the mess and see what was wrong. The surgeon ended up pushing the infection into my knee joint and within weeks my knee joint fused together and became permanently stuck in a 2/3 in bend. I was told I would be on crutches for the rest of my life considering my left knee was so mangled/bent and it would not touch the ground. Seeking a 2nd opinion and then 2 more surgeries to try and fix it I am still unable to bend or use my knee but it is at least straighter so I can walk on my tip toes but I have to wear a knee brace permanently for the rest of my life if I cannot find a doctor who can do a miracle and fix my knee. The pain is excruciating 24/7. I need someone to help fix my knee so I can walk again!

Comment from: Bill C, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I had double knee arthroscopy about 7 years ago. My knees were in extreme pain every day. I was taking a variety of medications and topical creams with no effect. After the surgery and taking it easy for a month, my pain level went down to almost nothing. I am not an athlete but I am on my feet a lot during the day. Sometimes my knee still catches, but this is rare. I feel this surgery was highly successful in my case. So 7 years later I still have almost no pain. The doctor told me my knees were badly damaged, maybe that is why I felt so much relief. I was 46 when I had the surgery.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?