Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: HARLEYGIRL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had my knee arthroscopy procedure on 7/12/16 for a torn meniscus after falling off a ladder. I am a 55 year old female, 50 plus pounds overweight, but otherwise healthy. As of today (7/21/16), I have some stiffness and swelling at the incision sites, but overall I feel much better than I did before. Post-surgery, I was using a walker second day post-operation, graduated to a cane at 8 days post, and today I am walking unassisted. As long as I take my time, I seem to be doing okay. I was not advised to do any physical therapy, so I am just doing it my way with slow walking and increasing the distance with each excursion. My heart goes out to those of you who have not had improvement with the procedure, and I hope you don't give up harassing your doctor(s) until your issues are resolved!

Comment from: Kneefixed1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am in my early 50s, and I have had a bad right knee since my early 20s. One day while walking my left knee snapped. I was in severe pain, but I kept going because I had to that day. About 8 minutes later I had sudden intense pain, so bad I passed out. Turns out I probably had a Baker's cyst rupture (had no idea what that even was until this happened). Four weeks later I had arthroscopic surgery to repair frayed meniscus, flipped meniscus and ligament tear. I used a crutch for a couple days, took Aleve for pain, and iced a lot. I started physical therapy 3 days following surgery. I continued improving, swimming in the pool once my scars closed, and did stationary bike, lots of stretching and balancing exercises. I was doing great until 5 week point, then while walking, again had a sudden pop in that knee below one of my incision points. Painful! I stayed off of it as much as possible a couple days, then started again in the pool, and the bike. Now it is just aching all the time, but seems to be improving. I will repair my right knee in next couple months. I had a good surgeon who doesn't believe in cortisone injections (until last ditch effort). You must go to physical therapy following surgery, they will teach you many tricks to help turn your muscles back on and rebuild their strength, especially if you've been off of it for weeks.

Comment from: Alabama, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

Four months after arthroscopic knee surgery I was still limping and in a lot of pain. Research provided two options, surgery to remove scarring from excess bleeding or knee manipulation while under anesthesia. I thought perhaps a chiropractor could manipulate the knee. Fortunately I live in a place that has a physician who first was a chiropractor. He was able to manipulate my knee and I walked out pain free with no limp. He said my muscles in that leg had locked up during surgery which is rare but he had seen it several times before. I hope this information helps. Many chiropractors might be able to do the same thing.

Comment from: Limpy Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I had arthroscopic surgery 4 weeks ago for partial lateral meniscectomy as the joint had stared locking periodically. I developed hemarthrosis in joint post-surgery which interrupted physiotherapy. The surgeon was concerned it was infected so took me back to the theatre after 3 weeks for washout and drain insertion. After 1 week, swelling has subsided and knee is slowly improving. I am concerned that I cannot fully straighten the knee.

Comment from: almostused, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had knee arthroscopy and Baker's cyst drained on 15 November 2016. I am still not recovered, no 2 week checkup, at 5 weeks the doctor tried to inject Cortizone (SP) and in his words I had a blowout. My left knee now extends backwards about 5 to 7 degrees more than my right and can't withstand my body weight (144) for more than a couple minutes before it just buckles. I know not all arthroscopies are successful and have no intention of blaming anyone. I am going tomorrow for a second option and see if my leg is salvageable.

Comment from: gomes, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I had both knees scoped for torn meniscus medial and lateral. I have one knee done twice. I am not real pleased with the results. The catching is gone but arthroscopy is not a fix for thin or missing meniscus. I think the surgery is over-prescribed by doctors and overrated as far as what it can do. Currently there is no fix for missing meniscus unless you want total knee replacement. Synvisc one doesn't work either. I am not miserable enough to want to go get my knees sawed off so waiting for someone to have some other fix invented; perhaps a synthetic meniscus.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had knee arthroscopy surgery on October 2015. After 5 months I am in a lot of pain. I have been doing therapy and massages two times a week. I am in a lot of pain. The doctor told me to take Tylenol but it doesn't help. I have to take Oxycocet sometimes for the pain but it helps for a while. I wouldn't recommend this surgery.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?