Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I had my arthroscopic surgery on 8/5/15 for a torn meniscus of the left knee. I started physical therapy 3 weeks ago for 8 weeks, yet I still feel pain and some swelling, however I'm remaining positive and hopeful it will get better.

Comment from: molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had arthroscopic knee surgery on June 4, this year. Therapy helped some, but I am still in a lot of pain. I had a cortisone injection, which lasted 2 days. I have a lot of muscle pain on side and back of knee. Surgeon just keeps stressing the idea that I am a candidate for a knee replacement. After this surgery, I have no intention of having that done. I am 10 times worse off. I wish I had never had it done.

Comment from: JM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had arthroscopy right knee surgery on 7/29/2015. I still have a lot of swelling all around the knee and down the leg including the foot. I am less mobile now than I was before the surgery. I have to go down stairs one at a time instead of one foot then the other. My knee does not have the mobility to bend to go down stairs without pain. I have been trying to bend it and do some exercises with it, with not much luck at getting it to move any better. By night time the swelling is really bad and mobility is almost 0 percent at bending it. I feel that if I would have known what I do now I would not have gotten the surgery. I was told that it was arthritis that was removed by scraping if off and cleaning out the rest of the knee due to the arthritis flaking off. This was all due to a fall on the ice back in March, down a set of cement stairs.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

At 58 (female) I irritated my meniscus, did not tear it, MRI showed it bulging, the doctor said. It popped on a staircase and I literally saw stars. Too much gardening and working on my feet for years. Doctor said I had 'floaters' in my knee, chips of bone and cartilage, which were irritated by the meniscus so I hobbled around for two weeks waiting for the arthroscopy. I had been in a brace and could not climb stairs or walk most days for 6 weeks leading up to surgery. After surgery I took 3 hydrocodone pain pills that day and have not needed one since (3 weeks). They sent me home with a power pack ice machine that holds cold water and ice and pumps coolness to the knee where a pad is strapped on. It was great, I was walking around the next day. Day two after surgery I was more swollen and spent the day on the sofa but day three was better and I went to physiotherapy on day 4 which was no challenge at all. I left there and returned to work appraising houses the same day, inspected a cape cod with basement and managed steps well. Day 5 was the first day of stationary bike with no resistance, it has been steady progress since. Only a little swelling remains in the evening. Should have gotten that knee cleaned out years ago, I feel great now, and would do it again in a heartbeat; limited down time and minimal pain. Don't let the fear keep you from living your life to the fullest.

Comment from: SE3saint, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I had knee arthroscopy surgery on my left knee to clean up a cartilage tear yesterday afternoon and today I have been able to do very low resistance mobility work on my exercise bike at home and I've also been able to navigate through the 4 floors that I have at my home without aid. I must be one of the lucky ones I guess!

Comment from: Loz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I am aged 68 and had always been working and active. I had knee arthroscopy procedure 4 months ago and was in constant pain from day one after surgery for torn meniscus and clean up. I had MRI again and meniscus was torn again! I had more surgery 10 days ago and am still in pain so I hope it will get better as I will never have any more surgery.

Comment from: dawg56, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

Five days ago (09/18/15) I had an arthroscopic procedure to clean any loose junk out of my knee and to verify an MRI result indicating that I had a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and damaged menisci and as I understand, to verify the necessity of knee replacement. I am embarrassed of my ignorance and intend to fix it. I am to call and schedule a follow up within 10 days and am realizing that I am ill equipped to hold a conversation with the doctor. My knee feels better than it has in months, but that's not saying a lot.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?