Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: VincentAlexander, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m now 8 weeks post-operation (trimming of meniscal tear) recovery after knee arthroscopy procedure and my knee is increasing in pain and getting more and more swollen. The doctor and physiotherapist both say that I returned to work too early (after 3 weeks) and that I"m unlikely ever to get full mobility in my knee. This wasn"t explained to me before the operation. I"m much less mobile than I was before and in much more pain (basically, before the operation the knee was only painful if I fully extended it, and that could usually be avoided). I was wondering if other people have had similar experiences; and have advice on how to reduce the swelling in particular.

Comment from: Preme87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had knee arthroscopy surgery on February 14, 2014 and now approaching my 2nd month in recovery. I can't even do a full two weeks of physical therapy because fluid keeps backing up (water on the knee). I had about 77 cc drained on Monday and during my sleep Monday night it build back up. The pressure from the fluid causes the knee to be stiff to the point I can"t walk. My doctor keeps saying sometimes this can happen during the healing process and the healing process is 100% in 3 months.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I had knee pain for 6 to 8 months before the surgery. MRI was done and the doctor said I had a small tear on right knee and a Baker's cyst also. He said I would be good as new in 6 to 8 weeks. I had the surgery done, and went to physical therapy for 3 weeks. Recovery went okay but I still had problems with pain on top of knee from the surgery. It has been 5 months now and I can walk okay but have problems with long walks and still have pain in the knee but in different places. If I had it to do over I would have given it a few more months to heal before considering surgery.

Comment from: chants, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had arthroscopy in both knees and am now in worse pain than before, surgeon now won't operate. I need the operations on my patellae as they are in wrong position. I had arthroscopy in November 2013 and am still in agony and have lots of swelling around both knees. I don't know what to do, I've been given lots of different tablets but none have worked. I am being referred to a pain specialist next week as surgeon said I have to see pain specialist for 3 months to try and get pain and swelling to go down. I didn't have an injury, my knees just started giving me pain in February 2013 and got worse and worse. I am stuck in my flat now as live up 6 flights of stairs, I'm only 29 and was very active and normal weight, now can't even walk more than 10 steps.

Comment from: Sandib, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had orthoscopic surgery two weeks ago for a torn meniscus. The doctor told me I am good to go and I started walking this week and now I am in so much pain from the surgery. I wonder if I should have pushed myself so soon. No therapy was needed, I questioned that one. I have no pain where the torn meniscus was but a lot in the knee. I was doing great, no limp etc., until I started walking for exercise.

Comment from: Mahmood, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I had my knee menisci repair 3 weeks ago. Sutures were implemented and cyst was also taken out. Yesterday I had a lot of swelling in my knees so I went to see a doctor in my area. He bent the knee fully (up to 0 degree) without even letting me know, while I was lying down. I felt sharp pain at that moment, hadn"t bent my leg like that for 4 months. My concern is if it can affect the scar tissue healing, and affect in any other way my healing process.

Comment from: Table Tennis player, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had knee arthroscopy 3 weeks ago. No meniscus tear, contrary to MRI report! Just some cleaning and smoothing of osteoarthritis. I did not need to take any painkillers on a regular basis post-surgery. Over the course of the first week I sometimes took a Panadol at night before sleep. I started my physiotherapy exercises at home on the second day and kept up with them diligently 3 to 4 times a day. I also iced regularly while resting. I could walk without crutches to make a cup of tea, prepare my lunch etc., but couldn't stand up for too long. For the first week although I could walk, I could hardly bend my knee at all. Also, my muscles in the calf and quadriceps felt stiff and painful, as though they were knotted. Massaging the muscles helped with flexibility and pain. I can now walk evenly for 30 to 40 minutes without limping, I can walk up stairs, but walking down is harder as it requires strength in the knee while bending it. I still have some swelling, stiffness and a little pain in the knee but I am optimistic. The strangest thing for me so far is that my left side from the hip down feels a little numb to touch.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?