Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Stralongski, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I had an arthroscopy last week, on 2 Nov 2015, for a torn medial meniscus in which I was told 40 percent was removed. It was done late so I didn't have time to see the physiotherapist (PT) after recovery so I stayed overnight. After surgery, I did not have any pain at all. Nurses offered pain killers which I declined. The next morning, I saw the PT, and I was able to fully straighten my leg and bend it about 90 degrees. I was taught how to walk on crutches, but when I left that afternoon, I walked out without them. Each day I saw improvement, but I still feel a clicking sensation when I walk, though there is no pain. I am very happy with the results so far after a week. I am a little concerned about the clicking and that 40 percent was trimmed off. I will see my operating surgeon again in 2 weeks for a checkup. I will ask him if I am able to return to running, squash and snowboarding after a full recovery, as 40 percent is a decent size chunk. I waited 1 year for the surgery going through the public system in Australia, I miss being active so much. If not, I will look into other options, like stem cell therapy to regrow the meniscus or an artificial meniscus implant.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a minor meniscus tear in my left knee that hurt severely in the beginning but was more of an annoyance after that. After a year of putting up with the occasional pain and not being able to stoop down on my knees, I decided to have the arthroscopy procedure. There was no pain for the first 24 hours, but after that the pain was very intense for a few days and after I took off the tight ace bandage it was swollen. It's been five days now and things have improved greatly, but I still walk with a limp and it's painful to bend all the way straight or 90 degrees. Swelling has gone down greatly. Too early to tell if it got rid of the initial problem but I'm hopeful.

Comment from: J.A.M., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had arthroscopy on August 12 and I turned a corner after two full months. The knee is feeling real good. It's still slightly enlarged but it doesn't bother me much. I'm 63 and 20 percent of the meniscus was removed. I also have severe arthritis. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm feeling very hopeful.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I had my arthroscopic surgery on 8/5/15 for a torn meniscus of the left knee. I started physical therapy 3 weeks ago for 8 weeks, yet I still feel pain and some swelling, however I'm remaining positive and hopeful it will get better.

Comment from: molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had arthroscopic knee surgery on June 4, this year. Therapy helped some, but I am still in a lot of pain. I had a cortisone injection, which lasted 2 days. I have a lot of muscle pain on side and back of knee. Surgeon just keeps stressing the idea that I am a candidate for a knee replacement. After this surgery, I have no intention of having that done. I am 10 times worse off. I wish I had never had it done.

Comment from: fainlb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a meniscus tear in my left knee in 2/2014, pain and swelling. I tried to ignore and self-treat. Then in 6/2014 my dad ended up in the hospital and then nursing home for rehabilitation and I was walking a lot more (through hospital parking lots and through facilities) and the pain and swelling came back. I finally found time to see an orthopedic doctor and got an x-ray, and I got a cortisone shot, brace, and 12 sessions of physiotherapy (PT). I felt better. Then the swelling and pain returned recently. Now my (new) orthopedic doctor wants to try injections of Euflexxa which requires 3 weekly injections to help cushion, lubricate and protect the joint. I am waiting to hear back from my insurance if they'll cover it. I think it's more to help with the osteoarthritis than the still-torn meniscus. I am also wearing a brace that is locked and doesn't bend. Doctor also is talking about more PT. The earlier sessions helped me, I know, but it was tough! I'm 61 years old and not an athlete! Just a retiree trying to enjoy life and also help care for my elderly and ailing parents. I inherited the arthritis from my 87 year old dad. My hands looks like my grandma's did. Fingers are bent weirdly, and I have knots on finger joints, pain, etc.

Comment from: Loz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I am aged 68 and had always been working and active. I had knee arthroscopy procedure 4 months ago and was in constant pain from day one after surgery for torn meniscus and clean up. I had MRI again and meniscus was torn again! I had more surgery 10 days ago and am still in pain so I hope it will get better as I will never have any more surgery.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?