Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: vallartabev, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had knee arthroscopy 4 days ago. I used a walker to get to the car from the hospital, but by the second day, I didn't need it any more. I had a problem with my meniscus and I had lateral cartilage damage and arthritis. I had been playing tennis three times a week on hard court prior to the surgery. Before the surgery, I had four months of physical therapy daily and had 2 cortisone shots. I had a lot of the knee strengthening exercises before the actual surgery, with weights. Right now I have no more pain, but I was told no more tennis. The surgery was very simple and I feel great.

Comment from: aerolf, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

In April 2013 I had an accident at work which caused my ACL to tear. MRI at the emergency room (ER) identified at least a partial ACL. I had physical therapy for 3 weeks with the intention of building muscle. My physiotherapist thought this was a bit of a joke as my muscle tests were all 10/10 even with a torn ACL (I lifted weights in high school and grew up on a farm). I then had arthroscopic ACL allograft reconstruction in June 2013. I re-started physical therapy just 4 days after surgery and things progressed very well until September at which point I began to have significant pain and feelings of stiffness. At this point I had already achieved hyperextension and around 120 degrees of flexion. We continued physical therapy, though the pain, swelling, and stiffness continued. At this point I had sustained substantial muscle atrophy because of the pain. In February 2014 I had another MRI (my first post-operation imaging) which indicated arthrofibrosis. I had a few more physical therapy sessions but was told by my orthopedic surgeon there wasn't much that could be done given that my range of motion was back and better than pre-operation and matched my good leg. The doctor tried meloxicam for pain, which only took the edge off; no more than naproxen. It is now over a year past my injury and almost a year since surgery and I still continue to have pain, swelling, stiffness, and catching. I have a 4' difference in thigh circumference between my good and bad legs. I take naproxen as needed despite side effects and ice as much as I can.

Comment from: misspaperwait, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I"m 22 and I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my right knee. The surgeon told me that the surgery was supposed to relieve my pain and swelling, that was a year and a half ago and my knee is still 2 to 3 times its natural size, I'm still in a lot of pain, still catching, clicking and popping when I walk; and if I"m on my feet for too long I get shooting pains down my shin an up into my thigh. I lost my job and even after 6 weeks of physical therapy I would be in agony if I had to do 8 hours on my feet.

Comment from: Nate, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I'm 20 years old and I just had knee arthroscopic surgery for a meniscus tear in my knee joint. It's been a week now and my knee is still swollen and I'm in a lot more pain then I was before and after the surgery. I don't do anything that I'm not supposed to do, I use my cane and ice my knee every 6 hours, it's still swollen and I'm in a lot of pain still.

Comment from: VincentAlexander, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m now 8 weeks post-operation (trimming of meniscal tear) recovery after knee arthroscopy procedure and my knee is increasing in pain and getting more and more swollen. The doctor and physiotherapist both say that I returned to work too early (after 3 weeks) and that I"m unlikely ever to get full mobility in my knee. This wasn"t explained to me before the operation. I"m much less mobile than I was before and in much more pain (basically, before the operation the knee was only painful if I fully extended it, and that could usually be avoided). I was wondering if other people have had similar experiences; and have advice on how to reduce the swelling in particular.

Comment from: Gimpy Knee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I never fully recovered from the knee arthroscopy procedure. Apparently, orthopedists don"t always provide full disclosure before performing knee surgery. I was never told my knee would be far worse after the surgery than before. In addition, in my case I was not told I"d need to do leg exercises for the rest of my life. If I had it to do over again, I would not have had knee surgery. Supposedly I went to one of the best. He writes textbooks on the subject. Please, if you are a physician, think about your patients first and the money you make from the surgery last.

Comment from: Lizzysue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had arthroscopic replacement of my medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) 4 days ago. My knee is very swollen clear down to my toes, but I am able to walk around house without crutches and very happy with results so far. I am using ice machine which is a life saver and very little pain medicines, the grace of my family is with me! I feel the better your outlook on the situation the better the recovery! A body in motion stays in motion.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?