Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: almostused, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had knee arthroscopy and Baker's cyst drained on 15 November 2016. I am still not recovered, no 2 week checkup, at 5 weeks the doctor tried to inject Cortizone (SP) and in his words I had a blowout. My left knee now extends backwards about 5 to 7 degrees more than my right and can't withstand my body weight (144) for more than a couple minutes before it just buckles. I know not all arthroscopies are successful and have no intention of blaming anyone. I am going tomorrow for a second option and see if my leg is salvageable.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had knee arthroscopy surgery on October 2015. After 5 months I am in a lot of pain. I have been doing therapy and massages two times a week. I am in a lot of pain. The doctor told me to take Tylenol but it doesn't help. I have to take Oxycocet sometimes for the pain but it helps for a while. I wouldn't recommend this surgery.

Comment from: Atschmid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had medial meniscus repair with arthroscopy on 1/22/16. I didn't realize there was a Novocain like substance that was killing the pain and so the next day, when I felt great, I took my dog for a long walk! Mistake! The day after that I was in pure agony. So the recovery has been slow. I am 57 I had a discectomy and hemilaminectomy when I was 32 at L4 L5, and the surgery cured me of back pain. I was hoping this would go as well, but I am feeling my age! Still I am able to walk now, once I get going (stiff at first) and am doing physical therapy. I am hoping that another few weeks will take care of residual pain.

Comment from: Sandy R, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee 5 years ago. The doctor was supposed to do a knee replacement but chose not to and wanted to fix my knee as best he could. The day of surgery when I tried to get up off bed something inside my knee ripped, I had sharp pain and swelling like a huge bubble on side of my knee. It turned out he cut my ligament too short and reattached it. Nothing was done about this pocket of blood and fluids for 3 months. Soon it became infected and my knee was getting worse instead of better. My regular doctor insisted the surgeon went in to fix the mess and see what was wrong. The surgeon ended up pushing the infection into my knee joint and within weeks my knee joint fused together and became permanently stuck in a 2/3 in bend. I was told I would be on crutches for the rest of my life considering my left knee was so mangled/bent and it would not touch the ground. Seeking a 2nd opinion and then 2 more surgeries to try and fix it I am still unable to bend or use my knee but it is at least straighter so I can walk on my tip toes but I have to wear a knee brace permanently for the rest of my life if I cannot find a doctor who can do a miracle and fix my knee. The pain is excruciating 24/7. I need someone to help fix my knee so I can walk again!

Comment from: Bill C, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I had double knee arthroscopy about 7 years ago. My knees were in extreme pain every day. I was taking a variety of medications and topical creams with no effect. After the surgery and taking it easy for a month, my pain level went down to almost nothing. I am not an athlete but I am on my feet a lot during the day. Sometimes my knee still catches, but this is rare. I feel this surgery was highly successful in my case. So 7 years later I still have almost no pain. The doctor told me my knees were badly damaged, maybe that is why I felt so much relief. I was 46 when I had the surgery.

Comment from: Stazzifirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had arthroscopic surgery a little over a month ago for torn meniscus. Doctor scraped arthritis and repaired the tear. Despite therapy I am still in pain daily. I use a walker a bit, but it is not that helpful. Pain from the tear was excruciating and now better, but I am discouraged from lack of progress. From what I have read here, I am not alone in this dilemma. Hopefully time will help.

Comment from: BJH, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had a knee arthroscopy on my left knee 21/12/15 for a torn meniscus and split lateral tibia. I was immobile for 2 and a half weeks before surgery as my knee was locked in a bent position. So because I couldn't walk for 2 and a half weeks before surgery, I lost a lot of muscle mass which made my recovery take longer. After waking up from surgery I was in no pain at all. I felt great in fact. For the first two days there was hardly any pain, then on the third day it got a bit painful, but the Endone pain killers did the job. I needed them for about a week. I was walking without crutches by the 4th day (with a significant limp), and it has gradually gotten better since (it is now 5 weeks since surgery). Some days it didn't seem to progress at all for a few days and I got worried, but then it would improve a lot over the next few days. At week 5 I would say I am about 90 percent recovered. It feels strong, no pain, but still a bit of swelling. Left leg still a lot smaller muscle mass than right, it looks very skinny around my thigh. But I am back to all activities now except running so it should build back up soon. I am 37.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?