Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Stop yer Crying, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I drove myself to the hospital for my knee arthroscopy procedure and back home, walked in 3 days, and ran in 7. It is now 23 years later and I have no issues. I'm thankful to the doctor.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I'm 5 days after having right knee arthroscopy. I have walked unaided from 2nd day. I can walk up and down the stairs, I feel great. I am in a little bit of pain but nothing like it was before the operation, thank goodness! I'm really pleased with my operation.

Comment from: Gimpy Knee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I never fully recovered from the knee arthroscopy procedure. Apparently, orthopedists don"t always provide full disclosure before performing knee surgery. I was never told my knee would be far worse after the surgery than before. In addition, in my case I was not told I"d need to do leg exercises for the rest of my life. If I had it to do over again, I would not have had knee surgery. Supposedly I went to one of the best. He writes textbooks on the subject. Please, if you are a physician, think about your patients first and the money you make from the surgery last.

Comment from: Lizzysue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had arthroscopic replacement of my medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) 4 days ago. My knee is very swollen clear down to my toes, but I am able to walk around house without crutches and very happy with results so far. I am using ice machine which is a life saver and very little pain medicines, the grace of my family is with me! I feel the better your outlook on the situation the better the recovery! A body in motion stays in motion.

Comment from: jdietz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I am looking for an answer. I had arthroscopic surgery on 4/28/14 for a meniscal tear, and arthritis scrape. Eight hours later I was in the emergency room (ER) with terrible pain. Seventy plus cc of fluid was drained off and I walked out. Mobility is back, but, I have a constant nagging pain in the back of my knee. I am trying to figure out why. The pain is constant and increases at night. I get only very brief periods of sleep then wake to reposition.

Comment from: Mahmood, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I had my knee menisci repair 3 weeks ago. Sutures were implemented and cyst was also taken out. Yesterday I had a lot of swelling in my knees so I went to see a doctor in my area. He bent the knee fully (up to 0 degree) without even letting me know, while I was lying down. I felt sharp pain at that moment, hadn"t bent my leg like that for 4 months. My concern is if it can affect the scar tissue healing, and affect in any other way my healing process.

Comment from: bumper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had meniscus repair and arthritis shaving 9 days ago. All was going well until yesterday after shower there was a little bleed. Since then I've had constant stream of orange/yellow liquid from the incision site. It doesn"t smell and doesn"t seem to be infected. I'm really worried.

Comment from: Sadaboutmyknee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had knee arthroscopy in May 2013. It was the worst decision ever. I was an active cyclist, fitness instructor and yoga teacher. I'm in constant pain now (was not in constant pain before surgery). What's weird is where my tear was, I feel fine. I now have pain in the area where the doctor went in and what feels like patella displacement. The X-rays look fine. I'm having another MRI next week to see what the problem is. It's taken away my cycling, I can only ride a stationary bike for about 30 minutes, I can't walk on a treadmill or even do elliptical. I did 2 months of physical therapy, 3 days a week. They told me it'd be a breeze... ha, no. It has not been a positive experience for me.

Comment from: Maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had a knee arthroscopy 9 days ago. My knee is really swollen and I can't bend my leg at all and it hurts when I sit. I have to have my leg up all the time. I hope this gets better. I am regretting surgery.

Comment from: shanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a knee arthroscopy procedure done May 8, 2013 and 3-1/2 months later I still have swelling from my knee down to my ankle, I am always in pain. It feels like a dull achy pain that runs down my whole leg. I have been in physical therapy since May. The PT is shocked my muscle atrophy is so bad, and they said they had never seen as much bruising as I had. I had a lateral release, a chondroplasty, 3 meniscus tears, a partial meniscectomy, and one tear had to be stitched back. I found out they think I have an issue with my femoral nerve, which is causing me to not gain muscle in my quadriceps. My leg gives out on a daily basis.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?