Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: CypressPearl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Has surgery for torn medial meniscus two weeks ago --four weeks after the injury. Dr. also cleaned out arthritis under knee cap. Prior to surgery had excruciating pain. It was a true pleasure to discover right after surgery that I no longer had such awful pain. Physical therapy is extremely important due to muscle weakness from the injury. Very very happy I had the surgery.

Comment from: momov3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Had the surgery 2 months ago. Didn't have a choice because I couldn't support me leg. I have been in pain ever since. 2 rounds of physical therapy and the knee is still so swollen you can see it through my pants. Very disappointed in the results. Waking up at night with pain...I can walk far but when I am done my knee looks like a grapefruit.

Comment from: homebody11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I too wish I hadn't had this surgery. It hurts worse. Had it 6 weeks ago and Dr. wanted me to have therapy. I had 1 session and that was enough. Each one was 30 dollars and I couldn't afford copay. I did on my on without the bruise the therapy left me with. Wakes me up at night with stabbing pain. Also feel like the back of the knee is really stiff. Luckily I'm in pain management for all my arthritis (also he said I would have to have joint replacement in a year) or I couldn't make it. Makes nerves worse though. Sorry so long but I am very disappointed in this procedure!

Comment from: bailey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I had surgery done about one month ago and the worse part has been the physical therapy I understand not letting the joint stiffen but I think one week after surgery is not enough time for the body to start healing It not only made the pain worse but it made me not want to use the joint because well it hurt.

Comment from: klogue8562, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

I had surgery on my Left knee about a year ago and had a mishap in a parking lot with rocks and hurt my knee again. Have been putting ice on it but still not in good shape.

Comment from: Smashingtouch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had Artho surgery done on my knee 5 weeks ago. It hurts worse now than before my surgery. When I stand up after sitting I feel like a butcher knife goes through my knee. I am sorry I ever went through this, and paid $21,000.00 to feel worse.

Comment from: florence, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had my arthroscopy to my knee some ten weeks ago, I am far worse off than before and have developed the most excruciating back pain Given my chance again I would not have elected for this kind of surgery. I am very disappointed and angry. I had no follow up appointment. Surely a surgeon needs to know whether he has been successful or not.

Comment from: GetASecondOpinion, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I had my knee arthroscopy surgery 5 months ago for a torn meniscus. I had therapy three days a week for four months, at $5,000 a month for therapy. Plus the original $15,000 to $20,000 for surgery. Wish I never did it. Definitely worse off now than before surgery.

Comment from: Roxy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had knee arthroscopy three months ago. I have been for 15 physical therapy sessions and I still cannot straighten my leg totally. There is swelling and quite a lot of pain. I had a medial meniscal repair, cartilage repair, as well as chondromalacia patella. Scraping the inside of the knee cap, I believe. In any event, I must say I'm getting a tad frustrated and will see my surgeon in a few days. I will probably have another MRI and from there who knows Has anybody out there had a slow recovery from this kind of surgery?

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?