Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had arthroscopy done on my left knee two months ago and I'm still having pain. The anti-inflammatory drugs that were prescribed, messed up my stomach and didn't help much. I still keep up with exercising my knee by going to the gym and doing home exercises.

Comment from: cheydanielle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I injured my meniscus in October 2012 (my second injury / surgery to meniscus). I didn't see a doctor till November. The MRI showed I didn't tear but I also sprained my Achilles tendon. I didn't walk for 12 weeks. I did physical therapy for 2 months. In March 2013 I was getting out of bed and my knee gave out. Another MRI showed I tore my meniscus in two spots. I had my second arthroscopic in May 2013. Two days after surgery I had a lot of swelling from my knee to my foot. After therapy I was able to walk with a brace in July. It is now Jan 2014, my knee is still swollen and painful. I have to use a DonJoy Defiance knee brace, an ice machine and TENS unit (shock therapy). It seems like this injury will never heal!

Comment from: BJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I had left medial meniscus repaired twice. I was back at work within two weeks each time. I stayed off the leg for first three days, used crutches for five to six days, did exercises as directed and had full recovery. Second operation was about six years after the other. Arthritis is now my biggest problem and just had left knee totally replaced three months ago. Arthroscopy was a positive for me and I would do it again.

Comment from: redhotpeg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

It's been 2 months since my surgery for meniscus tear, I was told I also have arthritis in knee. I started therapy 3 weeks after surgery, started to improve and went back to work after 6 weeks. My job requires to be on my feet all day. By the 3rd day I couldn't walk, the pain was so severe and took another leave from work. I received cortisone shot, which didn't help and I am back on crutches. Most of the pain seems to be around inside of knee, a sharp shooting pain, the doctor doesn't know why. My home looks like a pharmacy and nothing elevates the pain. Right now the pain is worse than before my surgery. It is very depressing and I want my life back.

Comment from: Gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had knee arthroscopy surgery on September 19, 2013. My meniscus was torn in half. I've been doing my exercises at home and feeling good. It's been 5 weeks. The doctor told me not to walk, but ride a stationary bike which I've been doing. My appointment to go back is not until Nov. 21. I need to go back to work.

Comment from: Kmartinez2000, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had knee arthroscopic surgery on my right knee on January 13, 2014 and it is still bothering me a lot. It is all swelled up and I can't walk well.

Comment from: Stop yer Crying, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I drove myself to the hospital for my knee arthroscopy procedure and back home, walked in 3 days, and ran in 7. It is now 23 years later and I have no issues. I'm thankful to the doctor.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I'm 5 days after having right knee arthroscopy. I have walked unaided from 2nd day. I can walk up and down the stairs, I feel great. I am in a little bit of pain but nothing like it was before the operation, thank goodness! I'm really pleased with my operation.

Comment from: Gimpy Knee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I never fully recovered from the knee arthroscopy procedure. Apparently, orthopedists don"t always provide full disclosure before performing knee surgery. I was never told my knee would be far worse after the surgery than before. In addition, in my case I was not told I"d need to do leg exercises for the rest of my life. If I had it to do over again, I would not have had knee surgery. Supposedly I went to one of the best. He writes textbooks on the subject. Please, if you are a physician, think about your patients first and the money you make from the surgery last.

Comment from: Lizzysue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had arthroscopic replacement of my medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) 4 days ago. My knee is very swollen clear down to my toes, but I am able to walk around house without crutches and very happy with results so far. I am using ice machine which is a life saver and very little pain medicines, the grace of my family is with me! I feel the better your outlook on the situation the better the recovery! A body in motion stays in motion.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?