Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: aerolf, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

In April 2013 I had an accident at work which caused my ACL to tear. MRI at the emergency room (ER) identified at least a partial ACL. I had physical therapy for 3 weeks with the intention of building muscle. My physiotherapist thought this was a bit of a joke as my muscle tests were all 10/10 even with a torn ACL (I lifted weights in high school and grew up on a farm). I then had arthroscopic ACL allograft reconstruction in June 2013. I re-started physical therapy just 4 days after surgery and things progressed very well until September at which point I began to have significant pain and feelings of stiffness. At this point I had already achieved hyperextension and around 120 degrees of flexion. We continued physical therapy, though the pain, swelling, and stiffness continued. At this point I had sustained substantial muscle atrophy because of the pain. In February 2014 I had another MRI (my first post-operation imaging) which indicated arthrofibrosis. I had a few more physical therapy sessions but was told by my orthopedic surgeon there wasn't much that could be done given that my range of motion was back and better than pre-operation and matched my good leg. The doctor tried meloxicam for pain, which only took the edge off; no more than naproxen. It is now over a year past my injury and almost a year since surgery and I still continue to have pain, swelling, stiffness, and catching. I have a 4' difference in thigh circumference between my good and bad legs. I take naproxen as needed despite side effects and ice as much as I can.

Comment from: misspaperwait, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I"m 22 and I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my right knee. The surgeon told me that the surgery was supposed to relieve my pain and swelling, that was a year and a half ago and my knee is still 2 to 3 times its natural size, I'm still in a lot of pain, still catching, clicking and popping when I walk; and if I"m on my feet for too long I get shooting pains down my shin an up into my thigh. I lost my job and even after 6 weeks of physical therapy I would be in agony if I had to do 8 hours on my feet.

Comment from: Nate, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I'm 20 years old and I just had knee arthroscopic surgery for a meniscus tear in my knee joint. It's been a week now and my knee is still swollen and I'm in a lot more pain then I was before and after the surgery. I don't do anything that I'm not supposed to do, I use my cane and ice my knee every 6 hours, it's still swollen and I'm in a lot of pain still.

Comment from: VincentAlexander, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m now 8 weeks post-operation (trimming of meniscal tear) recovery after knee arthroscopy procedure and my knee is increasing in pain and getting more and more swollen. The doctor and physiotherapist both say that I returned to work too early (after 3 weeks) and that I"m unlikely ever to get full mobility in my knee. This wasn"t explained to me before the operation. I"m much less mobile than I was before and in much more pain (basically, before the operation the knee was only painful if I fully extended it, and that could usually be avoided). I was wondering if other people have had similar experiences; and have advice on how to reduce the swelling in particular.

Comment from: Preme87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had knee arthroscopy surgery on February 14, 2014 and now approaching my 2nd month in recovery. I can't even do a full two weeks of physical therapy because fluid keeps backing up (water on the knee). I had about 77 cc drained on Monday and during my sleep Monday night it build back up. The pressure from the fluid causes the knee to be stiff to the point I can"t walk. My doctor keeps saying sometimes this can happen during the healing process and the healing process is 100% in 3 months.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I had knee pain for 6 to 8 months before the surgery. MRI was done and the doctor said I had a small tear on right knee and a Baker's cyst also. He said I would be good as new in 6 to 8 weeks. I had the surgery done, and went to physical therapy for 3 weeks. Recovery went okay but I still had problems with pain on top of knee from the surgery. It has been 5 months now and I can walk okay but have problems with long walks and still have pain in the knee but in different places. If I had it to do over I would have given it a few more months to heal before considering surgery.

Comment from: chants, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had arthroscopy in both knees and am now in worse pain than before, surgeon now won't operate. I need the operations on my patellae as they are in wrong position. I had arthroscopy in November 2013 and am still in agony and have lots of swelling around both knees. I don't know what to do, I've been given lots of different tablets but none have worked. I am being referred to a pain specialist next week as surgeon said I have to see pain specialist for 3 months to try and get pain and swelling to go down. I didn't have an injury, my knees just started giving me pain in February 2013 and got worse and worse. I am stuck in my flat now as live up 6 flights of stairs, I'm only 29 and was very active and normal weight, now can't even walk more than 10 steps.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?