Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: yolando73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had arthroscopic surgery on the 13th of September. It is now the 25th and I am in worse pain than when I started. I had a torn ligament, torn meniscus disk and severe arthritis that I didn't know about until after I woke up. I can walk on my leg but my gait is really bad. I didn't leave the hospital with crutches but ended up back in the ER for an overnight stay within two days of the procedure. This is horrible.

Comment from: Shirls, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had anthroscopic surgery for a meniscus tear on May 15th of this year. I went back to work in 6 weeks and couldn't hardly walk after two days. Went back twice since then to the orthopedist who gave me cortisone, drained the knee and did physical therapy. After almost three months I still can't walk on my knee with full weight. I have shooting pains through my knee. I work 12 hour shifts on concrete. I'm in pain 24/7 every day. He said it will be fine.

Comment from: ColleenD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had arthroscopic surgery for cartilage repair eight weeks ago due to an accident I had and years of being on my feet for work. While the pain and swelling were the initial reason I saw the Orthopedist in the first place, I did not expect to have the extensive swelling and horrendous pain I am having now after surgery. Like so many others my pain is more evident at night and pain medications just don't help. I have never been this miserable after surgery in my life. The doctor has now ordered physical therapy three times a week for six weeks. This was such a mistake.

Comment from: CW, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

As an avid athlete, I was able to jog after 4 weeks and able to run after 6 weeks.

Comment from: akm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I had an arthroscopy 18 months ago on my right knee for a torn meniscus that was painful while bending my leg. After staying home for two weeks, fluid was drained and I was given a cortisone shot. I went back to work on the third week. My knee showed improvement in bending, but I experienced new pain. I can't walk for long distances, feel pain while standing, I am still in pain after 18 months, the doctor says you will be fine.

Comment from: lovely_lady270, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had an arthroscopy procedure and after about 8 days I only had to use crutches for long distances to walk. I kept my knee elevated, ate lots of fruit, fish and drank protein shakes. I think this helped my knee heal. It's been eight weeks and my knee is doing well. I did not have to go through therapy. I rode the stationary bike and did leg exercises. Per the doctor's orders I did not wear heels, which caused pain to my knee, and I only wear good supportive sneakers and my knee is still doing fine.

Comment from: Maisie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Hi I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee just over two weeks ago. So far I am pleased with my progress having progressed to walking unaided for a short time albeit very slowly. I take one crutch with me when I go out. I have been lucky not to experience much pain at all although my knee is very stiff. I had surgery to repair a torn meniscus and to drain a cyst which had formed as a result of the pain. I started Physio yesterday and hope to be walking much more fluidly in the next two weeks.

Comment from: MrsSnowDog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

After a little swelling in my knee training for my first 5K, it was evaluated and scheduled for meniscus tear surgery. After the surgery, I was on crutches 2 days, went to cane and after 1 month was off of that. I have regrets now because I wake at all hours of the night with stabbing pain, hurting during the day walking and tightness. I should have re-thought jumping into surgery for a little swelling that ice was handling. Now the swelling is worse from simple walking, when it's cold - I can barely move now. Really regret the surgery. It's been 2 months and hoping for a more positive future.

Comment from: cactus213, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I just had arthroscopy done for my torn meniscus. It had been misdiagnosed by MRI so I had been walking around thinking it was a strained MCL that would/should heal on its own. I got a 2nd MRI which did show the meniscus tear, got it taken care of and almost don't need my cane 10 days out. Not sure I need physical therapy. Wish I could have known to have it done in the first place. Very happy now. I work in surgery but MRIs aren't 100% catching of the whole picture which I thought they were.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?