Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: pbparlor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

On 5/5/2014 I had arthroscopy surgery for torn meniscus on left knee. My knee would not straighten or bend for 3 months before surgery. After surgery now my knee still will not straighten or bend, I am 66 year old female, healthy/fit/active.

Comment from: annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had arthroscopy in September but am still in pain and have to stop and stop.

Comment from: Scott B, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Hey Guys. Got knee scoped for left medial meniscus. Dr. removed 1 inch flap that was causing instability. Before tear, I was playing basketball 3-4 times per week, and I am an old geezer of 57. Got operation 7-14-13. After operation, pain gone immediately. Knee got a little better every day. 8-4 tried to play basketball, but carefully. Knee felt great, no pain, no swelling. And, instability feeling gone. Great experience for me!! Good luck to all.

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I had a second arthroscopy for a meniscus tear eleven weeks ago and what a mistake that was! I have been fairly active for my age as an AFL football umpire for quite a few years, but since these two op's for knee pain, I can now barely walk - let alone return to my sport/activity. My surgeon tells me he couldn't repair the meniscus as he said he would pre-op and ended up removing it all - now bone-on-bone and terribly painful. He also said a new knee is out of the question should I intend to run on it at all, as a new knee is just to allow you to walk - no more. He fell short of simply telling me to go away and die!

Comment from: Leftknee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am 5 weeks post op from knee arthroscopy. Back today for doctor's visit and to report severe pain in lateral thigh muscle that is worse at night. The knee itself is healing well with very little pain. Doctor thinks I may have bled into the thigh muscle and now I am sitting at the hospital waiting for a Doppler study of my leg. Sure hope it turns out to be nothing.

Comment from: Peytie30, 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 31

Hi, I have a desk job but I have taken six weeks off work. I think that even though you have a desk job, it's extremely important to take the time to rest and do exercises. The doctor wanted me to take eight weeks off, but I thought I would try out six weeks to start. It has been three weeks since the surgery and the pain is moderate. The swelling the still bad mostly after I have to run some errands or get appointments done and i have to use the crutches to walk. All in all, it's been a good recovery.

Comment from: shawna41653, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had an MRI, which shows that I have two small meniscus tears. When my doctor went in to operate, my lateral was almost ripped, so he had to stitch it back together. I'm into my third week of recovery and I seem to be at a stall. I can't lift my leg; I have no muscle in my thigh, and what was originally going to take 4 to 6 weeks to heal will now take about 6 months. I had to wait one year for surgery, which is why my leg was already weak. It sometimes just goes numb. I often feel like it will never get better. In physical therapy they “shocked” my leg muscle, which hurt so badly – but they said they have to stimulate it. I don't know if I will ever recover.

Comment from: Sylvie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

My story seems similar to others. I had arthroscopic surgery three week ago for a torn meniscus. The MRI also showed arthritis. The doctor trimmed the torn meniscus and scraped the arthritis. I can walk fine and I never needed crutches. Now I'm being told by the doctor and the physician's assistance that the pain and swelling in both my knee and ankle are from the arthritis.

Comment from: Jacob, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I had knee surgery after tearing some cartilage in my knee, I took regular Tylenol after I got home from the doctors once. I was able to walk short distances in two days and jogged a mile without pain in two weeks. The pain in the cold has subdued recently but I still get stiff sitting in the movies when I am not able to stretch it out. But it's a lot better than it was before.

Comment from: Debsi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had the procedure one year ago and was walking 5 miles without pain 3 months later. I spent six intensive weeks filled with physical therapy which I am certain added to my quick recovery. I had a double tear in my knee, both left and right menisci were repaired. The only problem I have today are stairs, it's just not the same as it was before the knee problem.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?