Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had key-hole surgery (arthroscopy) in my knee at the end of January 2015. It went very well and I have had no problems since. The swelling took about 3 weeks to go down, I had 2 incisions one on either side of my knee and had one stitch in each. It is still early days and I am just about regaining my confidence to take all my weight on my repaired knee. I can't kneel down yet as there is still some stiffness and tenderness. I am walking just fine and climbing stairs ok. I am at a loss as to what they did as no details were given to me or my general physician. I have a follow up appointment on the 1st of April so I will ask all the questions then.

Comment from: Never Had Pain, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I'm 65 years old. I had a torn medial meniscus on my right knee. Arthroscopic surgery was done. When I woke up from anesthesia, I was able to get right up and go to the rest room. I was given a walker but I never used it or needed it. They gave me a cane and were teaching how to go up and down the stairs with it. I didn't need it. I never experienced any pain. I'm taking it easy until I see my doctor in two weeks. I thought that I would have a bad one or two weeks, but no problem walking and no pain or swelling. Good surgeons are worth their weight in gold!

Comment from: mediocregolfer, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 04

It has been nine weeks since my arthroscopic surgery for a meniscus tear. The surgeon also found a hole in the cartilage on the femur and trimmed the edges. There is moderate arthritis. I had physical therapy for a month and am still doing stretches on my own. The knee can be very, very stiff in the morning and hurts at different places on different days. I have returned to golf but use a cart. I can walk about 20 minutes. I like being active at 75 years and am distressed at the lack of progress. I hope the knee improves.

Comment from: Emapeal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a lateral tear in my meniscus in my left knee. I had arthroscopic surgery on a Tuesday and only needed crutches to get up the steps into my townhouse. I started the exercises the doctor gave me that same day. I only took pain pills for one day. By Friday, I was able to walk up and down a flight of stairs. On Saturday, I walked my dog (very short walk). By Sunday I drove my car and shopped for an hour. I started physical therapy (PT) 9 days after the surgery and went two times a week. Within 4 weeks, I had full range of motion. I also continued with PT for 6 weeks to regain strength.

Comment from: Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had arthroscopic surgery in my knee 2 weeks ago. Post operation I needed crutches first day at home. Now, two weeks later, stairs are not a problem, and I can walk with no limp. I can walk two miles with no hills. Every once in a while I walk with a little too much of a stride and I get a sharp pain to the side of my knee. Swelling was gone after a week. I had meniscal repair and bone spur that was impinging the ACL. I will be going back to have my knee replaced in January. I am 51 years old! This is my 4th surgery and I am tired of living with bad 70 year old knees! I want to start living like a 50 year old!

Comment from: Goldilocks1951, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I am on week 8 since my knee arthroscopy procedure. I did not need crutches and walked within a week over a mile (slow of course). I am now running a bit. The only problem I seem to have is catching and cracking. However, I'm not in pain, just afraid something inside my knee will slip/tear again.

Comment from: Littlemt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had knee arthroscopic surgery for meniscus repair on July 2014 and now it's September and I'm still in a lot of pain. My right knee feels like it's going to give out and my left seems to get better (had surgery on both). I went back to work after 10 days for only 4 hours a day, I wasn't ready for that. My job is a standing job.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm assuming that most people only write in for bad experiences. Mine has been totally opposite of many I read here. I had arthroscopic surgery for torn meniscus 9 days ago. I walked out of the surgical center fully bearing weight on that leg, and each day it's getting better. I have almost full range of motion, minimal pain and swelling and can even walk up and down stairs. I was very active and in good shape to begin with, and so I was told that there's no physical therapy needed, just use the knee and return to normal activity as tolerated, which I've been doing and I'm feeling great.

Comment from: Emsgirl24, (Patient) Published: August 27

I had arthroscopic surgery back in May. I feel the surgery was successful, however it's left me with osteoarthritis so bad some days I can barely walk. It's going 6 months, and yeah, I've done physical therapy too. Short of a new knee, I don't know what to do.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?