Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had arthroscopic surgery in my knee 2 weeks ago. Post operation I needed crutches first day at home. Now, two weeks later, stairs are not a problem, and I can walk with no limp. I can walk two miles with no hills. Every once in a while I walk with a little too much of a stride and I get a sharp pain to the side of my knee. Swelling was gone after a week. I had meniscal repair and bone spur that was impinging the ACL. I will be going back to have my knee replaced in January. I am 51 years old! This is my 4th surgery and I am tired of living with bad 70 year old knees! I want to start living like a 50 year old!

Comment from: Goldilocks1951, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I am on week 8 since my knee arthroscopy procedure. I did not need crutches and walked within a week over a mile (slow of course). I am now running a bit. The only problem I seem to have is catching and cracking. However, I'm not in pain, just afraid something inside my knee will slip/tear again.

Comment from: Littlemt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had knee arthroscopic surgery for meniscus repair on July 2014 and now it's September and I'm still in a lot of pain. My right knee feels like it's going to give out and my left seems to get better (had surgery on both). I went back to work after 10 days for only 4 hours a day, I wasn't ready for that. My job is a standing job.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm assuming that most people only write in for bad experiences. Mine has been totally opposite of many I read here. I had arthroscopic surgery for torn meniscus 9 days ago. I walked out of the surgical center fully bearing weight on that leg, and each day it's getting better. I have almost full range of motion, minimal pain and swelling and can even walk up and down stairs. I was very active and in good shape to begin with, and so I was told that there's no physical therapy needed, just use the knee and return to normal activity as tolerated, which I've been doing and I'm feeling great.

Comment from: Emsgirl24, (Patient) Published: August 27

I had arthroscopic surgery back in May. I feel the surgery was successful, however it's left me with osteoarthritis so bad some days I can barely walk. It's going 6 months, and yeah, I've done physical therapy too. Short of a new knee, I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Harry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had knee arthroscopy on Monday August 11. After 4 days, I was able to walk around pretty well. Yesterday, I went shopping, saw the doctor for a follow up, and walked the dog for 1 mile. Going up and down stairs was not difficult. The knee is stiff but it has recovered quickly. I am starting the exercises today. I am 71 years old.

Comment from: mike100, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had arthroscopic surgery 8 days ago. They found a small tear in my meniscus and removed part of it. I walked out of the hospital very slowly 3 to 4 hours after the operation. That day and evening my knee was quite painful, I took medication. The next couple of days I took pain killers and was house bound, but I tried to walk a little (as much as the pain let me). By day 4 I walked slowly to the local shop (about 150 meters). The day after, 30 minutes slow walking. Then 45 minutes and 60 minutes for the next two days. My knee feels ok and no longer clicks when I straighten it. It still feel a little weak and I need to take care but very pleased I had the operation. I just want to put a positive message out to everyone on the site as most people on here seem to be suffering. Reading this made me very nervous before the operation. Good luck everyone, hope you all have a good recovery.

Comment from: vallartabev, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had knee arthroscopy 4 days ago. I used a walker to get to the car from the hospital, but by the second day, I didn't need it any more. I had a problem with my meniscus and I had lateral cartilage damage and arthritis. I had been playing tennis three times a week on hard court prior to the surgery. Before the surgery, I had four months of physical therapy daily and had 2 cortisone shots. I had a lot of the knee strengthening exercises before the actual surgery, with weights. Right now I have no more pain, but I was told no more tennis. The surgery was very simple and I feel great.

Comment from: aerolf, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

In April 2013 I had an accident at work which caused my ACL to tear. MRI at the emergency room (ER) identified at least a partial ACL. I had physical therapy for 3 weeks with the intention of building muscle. My physiotherapist thought this was a bit of a joke as my muscle tests were all 10/10 even with a torn ACL (I lifted weights in high school and grew up on a farm). I then had arthroscopic ACL allograft reconstruction in June 2013. I re-started physical therapy just 4 days after surgery and things progressed very well until September at which point I began to have significant pain and feelings of stiffness. At this point I had already achieved hyperextension and around 120 degrees of flexion. We continued physical therapy, though the pain, swelling, and stiffness continued. At this point I had sustained substantial muscle atrophy because of the pain. In February 2014 I had another MRI (my first post-operation imaging) which indicated arthrofibrosis. I had a few more physical therapy sessions but was told by my orthopedic surgeon there wasn't much that could be done given that my range of motion was back and better than pre-operation and matched my good leg. The doctor tried meloxicam for pain, which only took the edge off; no more than naproxen. It is now over a year past my injury and almost a year since surgery and I still continue to have pain, swelling, stiffness, and catching. I have a 4' difference in thigh circumference between my good and bad legs. I take naproxen as needed despite side effects and ice as much as I can.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?