Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had a knee arthroscopy 9 days ago. My knee is really swollen and I can't bend my leg at all and it hurts when I sit. I have to have my leg up all the time. I hope this gets better. I am regretting surgery.

Comment from: shanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a knee arthroscopy procedure done May 8, 2013 and 3-1/2 months later I still have swelling from my knee down to my ankle, I am always in pain. It feels like a dull achy pain that runs down my whole leg. I have been in physical therapy since May. The PT is shocked my muscle atrophy is so bad, and they said they had never seen as much bruising as I had. I had a lateral release, a chondroplasty, 3 meniscus tears, a partial meniscectomy, and one tear had to be stitched back. I found out they think I have an issue with my femoral nerve, which is causing me to not gain muscle in my quadriceps. My leg gives out on a daily basis.

Comment from: Hurting:(, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had surgery on March 15th and because it was W/C had to go back to work a week later. Due to my job I now have to sit at a desk until the end of May. I'm now in more pain than I was before surgery. Plus I'm diabetic so I knew it would take me longer to heal, but the pain now is awful, keeping me up at night. I went back to doctor yesterday and they put me on Celebrex to try to help. P/T is okay at the time but a few hours later I'm back in my recliner with ice packs and HURTING! Praying for relief soon.

Comment from: Spidermum, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

It's now 5 days after an arthroscopy for a torn meniscus which was diagnosed after an MRI scan. I'm amazed how good I feel, I walked out of the hospital without the aid of crutches, albeit very slowly but putting weight on my knee straight away. Started exercises on day 2 and today I've just walked my dog for 20 minutes slowly but without pain at all. Some of this I put down to doing pre-op exercises to strengthen my knee as I'm 53 and quite active and I'm determined to get back to fell walking as quickly as I can. Must get the ice on regularly however to reduce the swelling as often as you can. Fantastic decision to have the op so far as I've been troubled for years.

Comment from: Vida, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had an arthroscopy almost 5 months ago from a car accident 2 years ago. Turned out to be severe arthritis. I'm 19, and the doc. said I had the knee of a 40 yr old. I was on crutches for 3 good weeks, the pain was horrible. Did 2 months of therapy and by the end my range of motion had improved greatly, but I still experience pain from the scraping. It's really intense during the winter months. My therapist said to keep doing my knee exercises and within the next 8 months my knee should be back to where it was before the accident. Now a month into my personal exercise regimen, I still can't stand or walk for long periods of time and excruciating pain when I try to bend my knee all the way back. I'm starting to think having the surgery wasn't worth it. Plus all my settlement money is going to freakin doctors and lawyers. People always tell me "You're too young to have health problems". They're absolutely right. Bull crap.

Comment from: Zemzem, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I had my knee scoped a week ago, it was great. I was doing at home therapy the next day, and by day 7 walking without crutches. The knee still swells, which is a sign I need to take it easy. My IT band was very tight before the procedure and afterwards horribly painful, but that isn't directly related to the procedure but rather the tourniquet. If you get this done your leg needs to be strong first, it helps the healing. You also need to follow instructions and keep that leg moving. It may hurt but still muscles are worse than sore.

Comment from: Sarah the Librarian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Looks like only people with unhappy results have written in. I had arthroscopy five years ago for torn meniscus. The doctor cleaned that up and also removed all the arthritis in that knee. I scheduled the big event for a Friday before Spring break (one week) and I took one week after that, then returned to work. This procedure was done in a hospital, but it was in and out. I even got fabulous photos from inside my knee - the kids at my school love being grossed out by them. I've been very happy with my knee ever since. It's time for the other knee now. Looking forward to it, actually. I'm an optimistic person generally, which helps a lot. Maybe I have a high threshold for pain, too.

Comment from: annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had arthroscopy in September but am still in pain and have to stop and stop.

Comment from: Scott B, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Hey Guys. Got knee scoped for left medial meniscus. Dr. removed 1 inch flap that was causing instability. Before tear, I was playing basketball 3-4 times per week, and I am an old geezer of 57. Got operation 7-14-13. After operation, pain gone immediately. Knee got a little better every day. 8-4 tried to play basketball, but carefully. Knee felt great, no pain, no swelling. And, instability feeling gone. Great experience for me!! Good luck to all.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?