Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Brendafive, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had arthroscopy surgery on my left knee in July 12, 2013. The meniscus was torn. My surgeon found my joint fluid cloudy and suspected Lyme which was confirmed. Because of the Lyme it took a very long time for the swelling to go down. It is now January 21, 2014 and my knee still hurts. My range of motion is pretty good but my knee still feels messed up. I had physical therapy for a few months. I took antibiotics for quite a while for the Lyme. I' just wondering if this knee will ever stop hurting. I don't want to go through surgery again.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had arthroscopy done on my left knee two months ago and I'm still having pain. The anti-inflammatory drugs that were prescribed, messed up my stomach and didn't help much. I still keep up with exercising my knee by going to the gym and doing home exercises.

Comment from: cheydanielle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I injured my meniscus in October 2012 (my second injury / surgery to meniscus). I didn't see a doctor till November. The MRI showed I didn't tear but I also sprained my Achilles tendon. I didn't walk for 12 weeks. I did physical therapy for 2 months. In March 2013 I was getting out of bed and my knee gave out. Another MRI showed I tore my meniscus in two spots. I had my second arthroscopic in May 2013. Two days after surgery I had a lot of swelling from my knee to my foot. After therapy I was able to walk with a brace in July. It is now Jan 2014, my knee is still swollen and painful. I have to use a DonJoy Defiance knee brace, an ice machine and TENS unit (shock therapy). It seems like this injury will never heal!

Comment from: BJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I had left medial meniscus repaired twice. I was back at work within two weeks each time. I stayed off the leg for first three days, used crutches for five to six days, did exercises as directed and had full recovery. Second operation was about six years after the other. Arthritis is now my biggest problem and just had left knee totally replaced three months ago. Arthroscopy was a positive for me and I would do it again.

Comment from: redhotpeg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

It's been 2 months since my surgery for meniscus tear, I was told I also have arthritis in knee. I started therapy 3 weeks after surgery, started to improve and went back to work after 6 weeks. My job requires to be on my feet all day. By the 3rd day I couldn't walk, the pain was so severe and took another leave from work. I received cortisone shot, which didn't help and I am back on crutches. Most of the pain seems to be around inside of knee, a sharp shooting pain, the doctor doesn't know why. My home looks like a pharmacy and nothing elevates the pain. Right now the pain is worse than before my surgery. It is very depressing and I want my life back.

Comment from: Gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had knee arthroscopy surgery on September 19, 2013. My meniscus was torn in half. I've been doing my exercises at home and feeling good. It's been 5 weeks. The doctor told me not to walk, but ride a stationary bike which I've been doing. My appointment to go back is not until Nov. 21. I need to go back to work.

Comment from: jdietz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I am looking for an answer. I had arthroscopic surgery on 4/28/14 for a meniscal tear, and arthritis scrape. Eight hours later I was in the emergency room (ER) with terrible pain. Seventy plus cc of fluid was drained off and I walked out. Mobility is back, but, I have a constant nagging pain in the back of my knee. I am trying to figure out why. The pain is constant and increases at night. I get only very brief periods of sleep then wake to reposition.

Comment from: Mahmood, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I had my knee menisci repair 3 weeks ago. Sutures were implemented and cyst was also taken out. Yesterday I had a lot of swelling in my knees so I went to see a doctor in my area. He bent the knee fully (up to 0 degree) without even letting me know, while I was lying down. I felt sharp pain at that moment, hadn"t bent my leg like that for 4 months. My concern is if it can affect the scar tissue healing, and affect in any other way my healing process.

Comment from: bumper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had meniscus repair and arthritis shaving 9 days ago. All was going well until yesterday after shower there was a little bleed. Since then I've had constant stream of orange/yellow liquid from the incision site. It doesn"t smell and doesn"t seem to be infected. I'm really worried.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?