Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had arthroscopic surgery on January 27, 2015. After one week of physiotherapy (PT), my surgeon ordered a series of 3 shots into my knee. I have had 6 weeks of PT and I am still in a lot of pain. My doctor said everything has been corrected. My age of 61 and the fact that I have bursitis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia will make it take a long time to heel. He suggested going to a pain specialists. I haven't decided to do that yet.

Comment from: kneepain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 44 years old and am an Ultra-Trail. I had a fall/ twist to my knee that caused a medial meniscus tear 9 months ago. My knee pain was only aggravated by running. I wasn't ready to quit being a runner. It was not healing so I had arthroscopic surgery to trim and partially remove my medial meniscus. I walked from the wheel chair to my vehicle. I have been walking without aid for 6 days now and don't have any unusual pain. There was a lot of fluid the first two days and that kept me off the stairs on day 1 post operation. I though there was a gel pack in my bandage at first. I used 4 pain pills the first 2 days and I could have gotten by without them on the 2nd day, but it helped me sleep better on my couch with my leg elevated and iced up every 30 minutes. I iced it a lot the first 2 days. I also kept moving my foot and doing light leg extensions a lot the first 3 days. I would hold the extension and contract my quad muscles slightly just to keep things working but not to irritate the surgery. I never did anything to cause myself pain. I am a mechanic in a factory and I believe I could have been back to work on day 4 but I have to be released after my follow up and they remove the stitches on Thursday which will be 6 days post operation. So far I have nothing bad to say about having the surgery. I frequent the gym regularly so I was building up leg strength before my surgery. Running was the only thing that irritated it before surgery. I am at least where I was before my surgery best as I can tell. I have no reason at this time to think I will not be running again in a few weeks. My surgery was an outpatient procedure. I am not taking pain medicines. The only thing I have to take for 6 weeks is aspirin because of the risk of blood clots after surgery. I am sorry for all of you who have had troubles from the surgery but it's not all gloom and doom.

Comment from: Julie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I am 66 years of age and I had knee arthroscopy for torn meniscus four months ago. I'm in dreadful pain since having the operation, stiffness and tightness right all the way down the leg. I would never have it done again.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had key-hole surgery (arthroscopy) in my knee at the end of January 2015. It went very well and I have had no problems since. The swelling took about 3 weeks to go down, I had 2 incisions one on either side of my knee and had one stitch in each. It is still early days and I am just about regaining my confidence to take all my weight on my repaired knee. I can't kneel down yet as there is still some stiffness and tenderness. I am walking just fine and climbing stairs ok. I am at a loss as to what they did as no details were given to me or my general physician. I have a follow up appointment on the 1st of April so I will ask all the questions then.

Comment from: Never Had Pain, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I'm 65 years old. I had a torn medial meniscus on my right knee. Arthroscopic surgery was done. When I woke up from anesthesia, I was able to get right up and go to the rest room. I was given a walker but I never used it or needed it. They gave me a cane and were teaching how to go up and down the stairs with it. I didn't need it. I never experienced any pain. I'm taking it easy until I see my doctor in two weeks. I thought that I would have a bad one or two weeks, but no problem walking and no pain or swelling. Good surgeons are worth their weight in gold!

Comment from: mediocregolfer, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 04

It has been nine weeks since my arthroscopic surgery for a meniscus tear. The surgeon also found a hole in the cartilage on the femur and trimmed the edges. There is moderate arthritis. I had physical therapy for a month and am still doing stretches on my own. The knee can be very, very stiff in the morning and hurts at different places on different days. I have returned to golf but use a cart. I can walk about 20 minutes. I like being active at 75 years and am distressed at the lack of progress. I hope the knee improves.

Comment from: Emapeal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a lateral tear in my meniscus in my left knee. I had arthroscopic surgery on a Tuesday and only needed crutches to get up the steps into my townhouse. I started the exercises the doctor gave me that same day. I only took pain pills for one day. By Friday, I was able to walk up and down a flight of stairs. On Saturday, I walked my dog (very short walk). By Sunday I drove my car and shopped for an hour. I started physical therapy (PT) 9 days after the surgery and went two times a week. Within 4 weeks, I had full range of motion. I also continued with PT for 6 weeks to regain strength.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?