Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Lorraine D., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had my knee arthroscopy on the 20th June 2015, so not that long ago, but after my knee swelling up to twice its size after 2 weeks I am now left in what I can only say is excruciating deep tightening pain when I walk. It's like a tightening elastic band and I still have pains shooting on the one side of my knee that hurt when I put my foot down hard on the ground as before. I am doing my own physiotherapy as given on a sheet by the hospital but I have to say that after one attempt at driving into town for a short distance I thought I was going to die and just about got home. I only hope that this is not life as I now know it for the rest of my life because no one should have to live with this amount of pain. The consultant says it's absolutely fine and it's in my head. I am trying not to walk as I was doing with a limp, and to bend as I walk normal but that's a task at the moment. I can't go anywhere yet. I am properly fed up.

Comment from: MGM, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had arthroscopic surgery of the right knee due to arthritis. I was told I would not need a new knee for 6 or 7 years, but would really benefit from this surgery. I had the surgery 6 weeks ago in a wonderful state-of-the-art hospital in Mexico. The week after surgery was a bit painful and I used a walker, but it got better and better. Now I feel I am 90 percent recovered. It is still a tiny bit swollen. I never needed physical therapy or pain pills. I am very happy with my doctor and the hospital and the surgery!

Comment from: Minzer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had arthroscopic surgery on knee for torn meniscus. I walked out of the hospital and started physiotherapy (PT) three days later. Three weeks post operation and twice weekly PT and home exercises, I am back to daily activities, going up and down stairs, spinning, Pilates, mowing, etc. Due to arthritis, a knee replacement is a few years down the road. Arthritis is not improved by arthroscopy and this was made very clear to me prior to surgery. Pain from torn meniscus was gone immediately after surgery. Meloxicam works great for arthritis pain and icing works wonders when I overdo it. Downside, no more deep squats and steep stand up bicycling. I can live with that.

Comment from: MGD, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I'm 49 years old and in good physical shape. I had a meniscus arthroscopy (to smooth a torn edge that caused me a lot of pain) exactly 4 weeks ago and I'm doing extremely well. The day of the surgery I started moving the leg (straight leg exercises) and the foot (extensions and contractions) and was walking with crutches (applying maybe 70 percent of my weight on that knee). By day 2, I was walking carefully, no crutches. By day 3, I was going up and down stairs at home, very carefully, being easy on the knee. By day 4, I was using the stairs with no problem, slowly. By week 1 I had starting walking slow on the treadmill at the gym, 10 minutes a day, and doing my normal upper body workout, avoiding free weights and using machines instead. By week 2, I was walking 30 to 40 minutes, at 4 mph. No weight training. By week 3, stationary bicycle, minimum resistance. By week 4 (now), 70 percent of high resistance on stationary bike (2 different types of bikes) and climbing a bench, up and down, no weight but 50 repetitions per leg. No pain, and very little swelling. The key for me was 'pre-operation conditioning', where I worked out the muscle of the leg to give it maximum stability and good strength. I followed all the directions from my doctor (ice, rest, elevation, slowly progressing through the process, and caring for the knee).

Comment from: charlie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

A week ago I had an arthroscopy to remove some damaged parts of my medial meniscus (40 percent removed). Today I have no swelling and 90 percent of my range of motion has returned. I get the odd twinge now and then when turning but I'm at least 80 percent recovered and many of the pre-operation symptoms have gone. I have been doing the exercises as advised and am very hopeful of a total recovery.

Comment from: farmerswalk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I wish I had discovered this thread before getting surgery. I tore my meniscus while running. I heard a very loud crack and immediately felt it buckle. It's been 3 months since the arthroscopic surgery, and the pain has not improved. At all. Moreover, I've lost all flexibility. (I was very flexible and did yoga hero pose daily to help with knee flexibility). My doctor told me I had arthritis in the knee (no surprise of course). He wouldn't tell me explicitly, but he strongly implied I should stop running). Having flat feet obviously has exacerbated all my problems. He said I would be able to resume normal activities after 8 weeks, including squatting. I'm going back to see him this week. I have read now (I should have read more before surgery) that the surgery isn't always successful, and in fact, can leave the patient with more pain and less flexibility. In sad conclusion, my knee hasn't improved whatsoever. I don't blame the doctors. I was desperate to resume running. I waited patiently (4 months) before deciding on surgery. Unfortunately, one of the things I enjoy most in life, running, probably has been taken from me.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had meniscus repair 8 weeks ago. I started physiotherapy (PT) 8 days afterwards, and they said I could walk with one crutch first day. I had never used crutches and was using on wrong leg and in so much pain. I continued PT then started on my own at home. I am doing better but still in pain. I went back to crutch and was very upset that the physiotherapist saw me walking on wrong leg and never corrected me until I said something. I hope this did not set me back. I am still in pain, I wonder how long it takes to heal; it is fine one day and the next day it hurts.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?