Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Recovery

Question:How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?

Comment from: Boomer48, (Patient) Published: December 31

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee on September 17, 2015. I have been back to see the surgeon twice and each time I've had to have my knee drained. X-rays don't show anything that could be causing the problem and I'm wondering why no MRI has been done at this point. I'm 67 and realize I could have arthritis to an extent, however even after 3 months you'd think I should get some relief. I've always been very active with senior softball and now it is doubtful I'll be able to continue. At the end of a normal work day my knee throbs so bad it interrupts my sleep at night. I have an appointment for January 6, 2016 with the surgeon, we'll see from there!

Comment from: mackster101, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I hurt my left knee while on a run and spent 2 years trying to heal before getting arthroscopy and had my meniscus fixed. I was always in pain which I just put up with but saw no end in sight. After surgery knee was swollen, so I stayed off it for 3 days. On the 4th day I was walking a short distance and by the end of 1st week I was walking 1 km. Now after 3 weeks a bit of pain remains but I am walking normal, I run up and down stairs with no pain. I go for 5 km walks. There is still some swelling but overall it has been a great recovery.

Comment from: Stralongski, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I had an arthroscopy last week, on 2 Nov 2015, for a torn medial meniscus in which I was told 40 percent was removed. It was done late so I didn't have time to see the physiotherapist (PT) after recovery so I stayed overnight. After surgery, I did not have any pain at all. Nurses offered pain killers which I declined. The next morning, I saw the PT, and I was able to fully straighten my leg and bend it about 90 degrees. I was taught how to walk on crutches, but when I left that afternoon, I walked out without them. Each day I saw improvement, but I still feel a clicking sensation when I walk, though there is no pain. I am very happy with the results so far after a week. I am a little concerned about the clicking and that 40 percent was trimmed off. I will see my operating surgeon again in 2 weeks for a checkup. I will ask him if I am able to return to running, squash and snowboarding after a full recovery, as 40 percent is a decent size chunk. I waited 1 year for the surgery going through the public system in Australia, I miss being active so much. If not, I will look into other options, like stem cell therapy to regrow the meniscus or an artificial meniscus implant.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a minor meniscus tear in my left knee that hurt severely in the beginning but was more of an annoyance after that. After a year of putting up with the occasional pain and not being able to stoop down on my knees, I decided to have the arthroscopy procedure. There was no pain for the first 24 hours, but after that the pain was very intense for a few days and after I took off the tight ace bandage it was swollen. It's been five days now and things have improved greatly, but I still walk with a limp and it's painful to bend all the way straight or 90 degrees. Swelling has gone down greatly. Too early to tell if it got rid of the initial problem but I'm hopeful.

Comment from: J.A.M., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had arthroscopy on August 12 and I turned a corner after two full months. The knee is feeling real good. It's still slightly enlarged but it doesn't bother me much. I'm 63 and 20 percent of the meniscus was removed. I also have severe arthritis. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm feeling very hopeful.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I had my arthroscopic surgery on 8/5/15 for a torn meniscus of the left knee. I started physical therapy 3 weeks ago for 8 weeks, yet I still feel pain and some swelling, however I'm remaining positive and hopeful it will get better.

Comment from: molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had arthroscopic knee surgery on June 4, this year. Therapy helped some, but I am still in a lot of pain. I had a cortisone injection, which lasted 2 days. I have a lot of muscle pain on side and back of knee. Surgeon just keeps stressing the idea that I am a candidate for a knee replacement. After this surgery, I have no intention of having that done. I am 10 times worse off. I wish I had never had it done.

Comment from: JM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had arthroscopy right knee surgery on 7/29/2015. I still have a lot of swelling all around the knee and down the leg including the foot. I am less mobile now than I was before the surgery. I have to go down stairs one at a time instead of one foot then the other. My knee does not have the mobility to bend to go down stairs without pain. I have been trying to bend it and do some exercises with it, with not much luck at getting it to move any better. By night time the swelling is really bad and mobility is almost 0 percent at bending it. I feel that if I would have known what I do now I would not have gotten the surgery. I was told that it was arthritis that was removed by scraping if off and cleaning out the rest of the knee due to the arthritis flaking off. This was all due to a fall on the ice back in March, down a set of cement stairs.

Arthroscopy - Experience Question: For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?