Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Experience

Question:For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had a meniscus tear and arthritis in my knee and I had arthroscopic surgery 2 weeks ago and had hardly any pain. It was more pain before the operation and I"m walking without crutches. Now and again if I move knee wrong way I get a grabbing feeling. It certainly depends on the surgeon how your recovery goes. I had a well-known one and I"m very happy as I went for 10 months with pain before doing anything about it. I"m back to work next week.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had arthroscopy done for a torn medial meniscus and arthritis on July 23, 2013. My operation was done at 2:00 p.m., I woke up at 3:00 p.m. and went home at 4:30 p.m. I was able to walk without a crutch right away, slowly, and not for very long distance. I had bruising along the outside of my leg from where they clamped the leg down. That hurt for a couple of weeks. I drove my car four days after surgery but found my leg swelled up. I could not bend my knee while doing stairs for about two weeks, and after two weeks I had my dressing removed. I started my own physical therapy right away, and even started yoga again. It is now a month and a half since the surgery, there is still some stiffness, however I have full range of motion, go for walks, ride my bike, swim, do gentle aerobics and yoga!

Comment from: Isabelle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had arthroscopy 8 weeks ago to tighten a metal plate I've had for 6 years. Before the operation I was in enormous pain and as a professional dancer it was terrible! After the operation I left the hospital within 4 hours with the aid of crutches. I was on crutches for about 9 days and in physical therapy every day. However, I was in agony for a good two weeks after the operation and could only start to bend my knee properly after a week. After 9 days I could walk slowly without crutches with a bit of pain but by 3 weeks I was walking with no pain. It was only after about 5 weeks that I was allowed to start dancing again, although nowhere near to the extent I had been before the operation and I was on several painkillers. Now, 8 weeks after the operation I can dance pretty normally but still experience pain at times but it's nowhere near as bad as it was before the operation.

Comment from: LOTUS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had surgery for a torn meniscus on May 17th this year. I was on crutches for 4 days, could not bend my knee to put my leg down. I walked with a cane for 5 days and decided I did not want to use it so I forced myself to walk without assistance. When I went back for my post examination I was fine and went to physical therapy for a month. Now 6 months later my knee, thigh right above my kneecap is swelling every night. My knee looks deformed. I am going to schedule a visit with my orthopedic surgeon to find out why this is happening.

Comment from: gayle2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had arthroscopic surgery for 2 torn menisci. I did well for about 10 days and then pain returned with a vengeance. I was told there was enough fluid in the knee but instead of removing, had gel injections. My knee is worse than ever with no hopes of getting better.

Comment from: brun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had an arthroscopy for a torn meniscus two days ago. It's the best thing I ever did - instant pain relief, no swelling as yet, but able to walk without crutches. I had same thing done on the right knee 5 years ago, no trouble since then. I will keep up with exercises.

Comment from: Solarman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an arthroscopy on both knees at the same time thought it might save time, after 4 weeks things were going good until my knee gave way tore the ligament in the left knee off for another 4 weeks with crutches etc., this was 6 months ago and I am still in pain some days worse than others popping pain killers every 4hrs and inflammatory pills, I have got osteoarthritis which has given me a Bakers Cyst which is causing more pain than ever. Having physio at the moment, there's talk of a partial or new knee replacement. Totally fed up.

Comment from: Virginia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had arthroscopy of the knee 4 weeks ago for pain getting up and down from sitting. There was a bacterial infection noted the 2nd week of therapy. Bruising was from just above the toes to 6 inches below the hip. This covered the front and side of the knee, front and back of knee and up the outer part of leg to 6 in below the hip. Dr took me off of therapy and work for 2 more weeks. He has no idea why this happened. I am not on meds that would make me bleed. He said I need replacement and I do not want this to happen.

Arthroscopy - Recovery Question: How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?