Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Experience

Question:For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?

Comment from: Indymom12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had arthroscopic surgery to clean up torn meniscus last July (2015). Right before surgery my knee was starting to feel pretty good. Now 6 months after surgery it is more painful than ever. I have had physical therapy and Synvisc injections. They worked for about 2 months. When I initially tore my meniscus the doctor I had then told me he did not like to do surgery on patients over 40 because it made the arthritis more aggressive and they were usually worse off. I did not want to hear that and wanted my knee fixed. Now I'm thinking he may have been right, since right before the surgery (almost 5 years after the initial tear) my knee was finally starting to feel better.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had arthroscopic surgery five months ago to scrape arthritis, doctor also said I had torn meniscus and removed part of it. I did great for first two weeks then pain and swelling started. Doctor suggested cortisone injection which lasted two days. Then he suggested Synvisc injections which did nothing. He prescribed Celebrex twice a day. Now I am back in physical therapy and that is making it worse. I am in more pain now than before the surgery. Can hardly walk and in terrible pain all day. I should not have had surgery! I have to see a rheumatologist now; for more drugs probably.

Comment from: Ellie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

In September my right knee felt tight. Two days later, while walking down the steps, I heard a loud crack and I collapsed from pain in my knee. I had a torn meniscus. I had arthroscopic surgery on December 4 and I still have severe pain. I have arthritis in my left knee and have pain in that knee as well. Physical therapy made it worse and the Orthovisc injections have not helped either knee. They are both weak and painful. I wake up every night with aching and I get sharp pains on the medial side of my knee when I walk. I have already lost my job because I can't work (I am a nurse and on my feet 8 to 10 hours a day). My orthopedic doctor acts like it shouldn't be a big deal. He hasn't ordered any more tests. I do have a pain management doctor who ordered an x-ray but I can't get it until I have insurance. I am wondering if it is because there is no more padding between the bones.

Comment from: CamoGal*75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a lateral meniscus tear and had an arthroscopic surgery on 11/7/14. It has now been 3 months and I am attending physical therapy for stability and ROM (range of movement) Issues. Now I have a catching and popping going on and I am told it may be from scar tissue catching. When it catches, it feels like being zapped by an electric fence. I wonder when I will get back to work and my walking routine and other daily activities. I do not like this catching sensation.

Comment from: Herman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I had arthroscopic surgery to my left knee for a severe meniscus tear in 2007. I lived in constant pain prior to my surgery. After a couple of months I was able to go jogging again. Now seven years later I have no issue other than a little pain when the weather changes from hot to cold that lasts a couple of days. But it was a positive experience for me.

Comment from: Eclectic, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had a knee replacement a year ago. I can only walk with a support and a stick. The doctor told me everything is all right on the x-ray, but walking without supports hurts badly and the doctor has no clue why that is. I had plenty of therapy. I am mad.

Comment from: roxmcg1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had arthroscopy in September although I have no pain when walking now, I still can't kneel or put any weight or pressure on it, it is even a little sore to the touch.

Comment from: meg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had arthroscopic surgery on July 22, 2014 due to constant pain and swelling, removed the plica and a bunch of frayed cartilage. Prior to that I have done 8 weeks of physical therapy. Today Sep 17, 2014 I am currently in physical therapy and I still have swelling and in more pain then before. First surgery was on my right knee and I was supposed to be able to schedule for my left in 4 weeks after the surgery (both my knees are having same symptoms). The orthopedist started me on Neurontin 3 times a day and Mobic daily, and in 3 weeks I go for a synvisc injection. This has been a very long process not to mention I am a floor nurse that works 12 to 13 hour shifts, but have been unable to since my arthroscopic surgery. I not sure if anyone else has been through this but I need assurance that there is a light at the end of my very long tunnel!

Arthroscopy - Recovery Question: How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?