Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Experience

Question:For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy?

Comment from: gayle2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had arthroscopic surgery for 2 torn menisci. I did well for about 10 days and then pain returned with a vengeance. I was told there was enough fluid in the knee but instead of removing, had gel injections. My knee is worse than ever with no hopes of getting better.

Comment from: brun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had an arthroscopy for a torn meniscus two days ago. It's the best thing I ever did - instant pain relief, no swelling as yet, but able to walk without crutches. I had same thing done on the right knee 5 years ago, no trouble since then. I will keep up with exercises.

Comment from: Solarman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an arthroscopy on both knees at the same time thought it might save time, after 4 weeks things were going good until my knee gave way tore the ligament in the left knee off for another 4 weeks with crutches etc., this was 6 months ago and I am still in pain some days worse than others popping pain killers every 4hrs and inflammatory pills, I have got osteoarthritis which has given me a Bakers Cyst which is causing more pain than ever. Having physio at the moment, there's talk of a partial or new knee replacement. Totally fed up.

Comment from: Virginia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had arthroscopy of the knee 4 weeks ago for pain getting up and down from sitting. There was a bacterial infection noted the 2nd week of therapy. Bruising was from just above the toes to 6 inches below the hip. This covered the front and side of the knee, front and back of knee and up the outer part of leg to 6 in below the hip. Dr took me off of therapy and work for 2 more weeks. He has no idea why this happened. I am not on meds that would make me bleed. He said I need replacement and I do not want this to happen.

Comment from: Fidele, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had arthoscopy 23 days ago for a torn meniscus. I am 65 yrs old and a surgeon told me that my knee was not that bad (arthritis). Told me this operation (meniscus) would help ease the pain 75 to 80 percent. I did the exercises, went to physio, the pain is real bad if not worse. It gets very warm, especially at night, it is real stiff. My knee can bend but it hurts the moment I start walking, so I am limited. I think I lost my time and money doing that operation not to mention the fact that I was extremely nervous. I am seeing the surgeon next week for the sixth time since the operation. I don't expect much.

Comment from: Guest, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I had Arthroscopic surgery done about 3 weeks ago to repair a torn meniscus. Once in my knee the surgeon discovered I also had fractured my patella by continuing to walk, and work on my knee after the injury for over a month, until I was able to get surgery. As a result he had to grind down part of my patella. 1 week after surgery I was feeling decent and therapy was going good. 2 weeks after, my knee started popping and cracking, and has locked up on me several times. Doc says this is normal...I'm getting another opinion.

Comment from: Sweet T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had my arthroscopic surgery done 4 weeks ago and the pain is horrible some days. As well the feeling of your knee giving away when you try to walk. Therapy part I was given a sheet to take home and do therapy at home. Still very much so thinking that I should not have had the surgery and that I might have to end up having more surgeries.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: October 11

I had arthoscopic surgery on my L knee 5 months ago because I had a tear meniscus, know I feel worse, I keep developing different problems from it, know I have a pinch nerve, sensitive nerve, tear disc and so much, much pain and the sad thing that I can't take anything for the pain because I'm sensitive to all medication I have been put in.

Comment from: Ortho Patient, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 15

I have had a scope on my right knee ten weeks ago. My knee pain is worse than before I had the surgery along with swelling. It seems as if I have some fluid on the knee. I have used ice and elevation neither helps it. I will be following up with my surgeon this week.

Comment from: brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had knee arthroscopy for a torn meniscus 5 months ago. I'm far worse off than before I had the surgery. The pain is no better, and now in addition I have swelling that won't subside. I've had the fluid drained twice along with cortisone shots, which only last a few weeks. This is so frustrating!

Arthroscopy - Recovery Question: How long was your recovery of your knee arthroscopy procedure?