Patient Comments: Arthritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with arthritis?

Comment from: Liss, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I'm actually a caregiver who's 23, with mild to severe arthritis. I get pain in all my joints, shoulder, hips, elbows, knees especially, fingers, and wrists. Sometimes, the pain will be so bad that it feels like it's in 2 places at once. For example, I'll feel pain in my left leg. It will be between my hip and knee. Or knee and ankle. My joints pop when I use them, like my wrists especially. They make multiple popping sounds. Whenever my pain gets so severe, I just want to hit that area until it goes away. My boyfriend has caught me hitting myself a few times with a hard object on my specific area until my pain pills kick in. I have a bad back as well from a care giving injury a few months ago which resulted in me not being able to walk without wincing in pain. I'm always holding my lower back or right hip. The worst pain I've ever felt is when I lay down flat on my back on, let's say, the carpet. After about 2 minutes, a growing pain in my lower back is so unbearable that I need my boyfriend to help me up because it hurts to move. If on my belly, everything on my left side seems to hurt at random. My hip, my knee, and my ankle. It's very strange. I've been to many doctors and none has an explanation for it or diagnoses it. I haven't given up though. Wonder if anyone else experiences chest pain at random as well as arthritis symptoms. It seems like I'm adding more and more problems to my pain list.

Comment from: Laigi, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My mum has suffered from pain in her finger joints 2 years ago and she is now 50 years of age. She feels pain whenever she tries to hold onto things and worse when she bends her fingers. She has not taken any specific medications for arthritis for the last years.

Comment from: starlet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have terrible swelling in my jaw bone and my neck but my arms and legs hurt all the time. I get fatigued very easy because of the arthritis.

Comment from: Wands, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 51 years old and I have arthritis in my knees, ankle, hips, and my right hand, elbow and arm. My hand and arm swells so bad that I can't pick up anything. My doctor had me on Mobic but it didn't work very well. Now she has added Cymbalta also and it makes me sick. I get and keep a headache all day and the nausea is terrible.

Comment from: Sandie, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 31

I have been diagnosed with spondylosis which is spinal degeneration that I understand. I have loss of muscle mass in my thighs, and of more concern is that I have started losing weight. I see on your site here that arthritis can result in weight loss but it does not detail why.

Comment from: uluv_fred, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I am wondering if rheumatic fever might be a start to arthritis. I had rheumatic fever when I was in my late teens. I was in the Navy and they sent me to the hospital and I was diagnosed with it. They sent me home and I could not go on active duty at that time. Now I am suffering with arthritis on both hips and knees.

Comment from: PETRO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have pains in my arms, hands, elbows, hips, etc.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 55-64 Female Published: March 15

I am 63 years old. My hands are always numb and I suffer from terrible numbness and pain in my toes, which makes it difficult for me to drive.

Arthritis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your arthritis?
Arthritis - Diet and Fish Oil Question: Do you follow a special diet for arthritis? Does it involve fish oils? Please discuss your diet.