Patient Comments: Arthritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with arthritis?

Comment from: SandyCar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had hip replacement in January 2014 due to acetabular dysplasia and I have had pain ever since. I have a hard time walking by the end of the day and I walk with a limp. I have seen a few orthopedic doctors, had hip aspirations, bone scan and many other tests. Doctors say they don't see anything wrong. I'm tired of being in pain and I can't do what I want to do. I know it's not all in my head!

Comment from: SusanHelen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

Many, many years ago, I found what I thought was the best lip gloss ever, Lip Dew. It was very greasy and slid with ease over my chapped and puckered lips. Eventually, I began to get mouth ulcers and very sore gums and lips, so I used more and more of this gloss. Then after months of this, I came to realize that it was the gloss that was causing all these problems. A friend suggested gentian violet to treat the canker sores, and it was amazing. It immediately calmed the urge to keep touching them with my tongue, and soothed the pain. The only problem is, it covers your gums and teeth with what looks like purple ink, and it takes a few days before you look normal again. I didn't care how I looked, so long as I could calm this pain. I began, again, trying all kinds of lip glosses and chap sticks. None were greasy enough to suit my needs, and I found many to be too dry, or they smelled bad, or they started up my mouth sores again. A doctor finally suggested plain, old Vaseline. It worked really great for the past dozen years or so. No problems whatsoever until now. Because I've used it for so long with such great results, it's taken me a few weeks to figure out it's the Vaseline causing gums full of canker sores, bleeding gums and sore, puckered lips. When the Vaseline no longer cured my chapped lips and my gums below my lips were all puckered on the inside, full of sores, and bled when I brushed my teeth, I finally knew I was suddenly affected badly by its use. I am back to using gentian violet, and looking scary, but it helps so very much, I do whatever I have to, to relieve the pain. I now, again, am at a loss for what I can safely do for my chapped lips. Obviously, petroleum products (Vaseline) are out. My canker sores are healing, but my lips are red, sore, cracked, and dry.

Comment from: Liss, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I'm actually a caregiver who's 23, with mild to severe arthritis. I get pain in all my joints, shoulder, hips, elbows, knees especially, fingers, and wrists. Sometimes, the pain will be so bad that it feels like it's in 2 places at once. For example, I'll feel pain in my left leg. It will be between my hip and knee. Or knee and ankle. My joints pop when I use them, like my wrists especially. They make multiple popping sounds. Whenever my pain gets so severe, I just want to hit that area until it goes away. My boyfriend has caught me hitting myself a few times with a hard object on my specific area until my pain pills kick in. I have a bad back as well from a care giving injury a few months ago which resulted in me not being able to walk without wincing in pain. I'm always holding my lower back or right hip. The worst pain I've ever felt is when I lay down flat on my back on, let's say, the carpet. After about 2 minutes, a growing pain in my lower back is so unbearable that I need my boyfriend to help me up because it hurts to move. If on my belly, everything on my left side seems to hurt at random. My hip, my knee, and my ankle. It's very strange. I've been to many doctors and none has an explanation for it or diagnoses it. I haven't given up though. Wonder if anyone else experiences chest pain at random as well as arthritis symptoms. It seems like I'm adding more and more problems to my pain list.

Comment from: susbysusby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

Vertigo is horrible. That's all I can say. Spin around 20 times and try to walk. That's how it feels every time I move my head. So frustrating along with the process to get help. Awful.

Comment from: Casper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have pinworms and went to a walk-in clinic. I noticed a worm after using the toilet. The nurse practitioner did not want to see the stool sample I brought and gave me by Reese's pinworm liquid. It did no good, I used it 3 times. Then I bought something at health food store and took that over a month. It didn't help. Then I went to a walk-in clinic. They sent me to hospital lab who took the sample of stool I brought and did tests and told me they were negative! I can see the worms and my man has them too. I drove to an emergency room that took a stool sample 4 days ago. They gave me albendazole but the pharmacy after 3 days said they can't get it so here I am after 6 months and no help.

Arthritis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your arthritis?
Arthritis - Diet and Fish Oil Question: Do you follow a special diet for arthritis? Does it involve fish oils? Please discuss your diet.