Patient Comments: Arteriovenous Malformation - Treatment

What treatment did you have for your arteriovenous malformation?

Comment from: drexes, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I was born with an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) in the left leg below the knee. It started under the big toe and progressed to just about 5 inches under my knee, all internal, over 24 years. I was treated with embolization procedures with ethanol during this time period. I had the leg amputated to get rid of the entire thing. I needed major ankle surgery in 2006 for muscular and skeletal deformation caused by trying to relieve the pain in my foot during walking on it over 24 years. The second opinion I got pertaining to the surgery said the surgery would be a success but the underlying AVM would cause deformation again every 5 to 7 years and that I would have a more normal life with less pain with a prosthetic, which turned out to be true.

Comment from: Vin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I had treatment by embolization for an arteriovenous fistula (AVF) type 3 that seems to have been successful. My AVF resulted in a brain hemorrhage that I had triggered after a high blood pressure argument! Take note.

Arteriovenous Malformation - Symptoms Question: If you or someone you know has an arteriovenous malformation, what were the symptoms? How was it discovered?
Arteriovenous Malformation - Health Consequences Question: Do you know someone who had a health consequence related to an arteriovenous malformation? Please share your story.
Arteriovenous Malformation - Vascular Lesions Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of vascular lesions due to an arteriovenous malformation.