Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Kay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have had heart arrhythmias frequently for about two years now. It"s abnormal but it"s not life threatening. It"s hard to believe when doctors say it"s not anything to worry about. I have one of the best heart doctors in the world and he has taken my condition very lightly. I was diagnosed with heart premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) about a year and a half ago. The flutter in your chest and skipped heart beats can get really old. I am now suffering severe weakness, chest pain occasionally, lightheadedness, and I've had nausea for about 5 weeks now every day. It"s really frustrating when you are told it"s not a big deal and they just put you on medicine (that for me was not very effective). It is now affecting the quality of my life and I've struggled with it as well as all the symptoms I"ve dealt with the last month. I will have days where I will have 30 heart palpitations in 1 minute. If you are only having a few a day you have nothing to worry about. It"s when you start having other symptoms and it"s affecting your everyday life you should go in and get looked at. After a year of being treated and the problem has only worsened my doctor decided it would be best to do the catheter ablation surgery. I am scheduled for that on May 12th. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix for me. Anyone out there suffering with these like I do, I hope you can find a solution. Keep your head up. Ask about the surgery, it is 85% effective, I have high hopes that this will cure my problem. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Melis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am only 27 and have begun noticing signs of arrhythmia when I was 25. It"s incredibly scary especially at my young age experiencing this and thinking it is a heart attack and/or stroke. My doctor doesn"t take my concerns very seriously and therefore won"t look into it any further. More than twice a day, my heart will flutter rapidly, beat incredibly fast despite me standing still, often skip beats/flutter when sleeping on my right side. It"s all just incredibly scary and it is helpful hearing I"m not alone.

Comment from: GeoffR, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

The first episode of arrhythmia I recall was in 1973 or 1974, when I was in my mid 20s. It passed quickly. The most recent was this morning, beginning at about 6:30 a.m., and continuing for about 5 hours. This was the most serious episode I have had. Fortunately, episodes are relatively infrequent. Sometimes arrhythmia kicks in when I stand up suddenly from a crouched position. I told the doctor who conducted an EKG on me in the summer of 2009 about these episodes, but the test didn't reveal anything. This morning I awoke thirsty, and got up to drink water and juice. After returning to bed, lying on my back, I felt the irregular heart beat start. It felt like something was bouncing around in my rib cage. Changing position did not help. When I did get up, I was very weak and tired, had no energy, and even found I was climbing stairs slowly. While sitting and reading, it finally stopped at about 11:30 a.m. My energy is back, more or less.

Comment from: concerned, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I am 71. I have recently learned I am diabetic. I have a condition (not always) where my heart beat seems to skip or delay a beat. This arrhythmia will go on for seconds or minutes. Then it's back to normal or a little rapid beat. Then again back to missing or delay. I am not sure but I think a stressful situation brings it on.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

With arrhythmia, I had a squeezing sensation and, feeling the carotid artery I could feel a pause in the beat like a missed beat. I also have premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), an extra heartbeat is worse if blood pressure is up. PVCs are also felt upon fast and hard work outs and on a tread mill stress test. Lately I feel a pressure in the chest wall and feeling of a flip flop or a jumping. I thought it was hernia or reflux of upper stomach but it happened at the same time I felt irregular pulse.

Comment from: M H saeed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 50 years of age, facing arrhythmia problem for 1 year. The beats miss after 5 or 7 beats, sometimes even after 3 or 4. Now I am under treatment but it happens without warning.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments Question: How was your arrhythmia treated?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?