Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: mariah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

My heart palpitates fast at times. I have chest pain, pain at the back of the neck and high blood pressure. Even if I am resting it does occur, or suddenly when sitting and then standing up.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I was born with a heart disease and I'm now 50 which isn't too bad considering my parents were told I wouldn't live past 5. I've had several open heart operations to replace the tricuspid valve, I've had several different types of medication to help with arrhythmia with no luck, 3 or 4 cardio versions which also haven't worked, several heart ablation procedures and currently waiting to go back in for another. I've had the AV (atrioventricular) node ablated and a two lead pacemaker fitted which also didn't work and after several years a three lead one put in which also hasn't helped hence why I'm on the list for yet another heart ablation. I've had heart problems throughout my life and have just found out some of the reason for my arrhythmia is scarred tissue from past procedures. After having been in and out of hospital for all my life and having many attempts to help the arrhythmia I'm starting to realize I'm probably never going to have a normal rhythm, I don't know what else the specialists can do so I guess for some people it's simply a case of learning to live with it, something I've been doing for most of my life. I have a very disturbed sleeping pattern due to them waking me up on and off throughout the night. I get them randomly throughout the day for no apparent reason, it doesn't matter what I am doing or what I'm not doing, I just get them. I get tired quite easily, I get weakness in my left arm and experience bouts of tingling, pins and needles in my legs and arms and along with this you obviously get the light headedness and dizziness, it is crazy! With all the technology we have this day and age I find it difficult to understand that it's taken years to try and sort this, yet with no luck. Over the years I've developed a high tolerance level by way of coping with arrhythmia which contributes to me living as normal life as I can but it still gets frustrating.

Comment from: frankie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have suffered from irregular heart beat for 12 years. It's getting worse the older I get, if I sniff or just turn my head this is all it takes to set my heart off skipping a beat. I have learned to live with this and try to ignore it, I have seen specialists who say there is nothing to worry about, but the past two years I have been getting longer more fluttering episodes. I also find it difficult to climb stairs and my heart beats so very fast after just a few stairs, it's so frightening. I have made another doctor's appointment.

Comment from: julieann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had palpitations since I was 22. Finally got a doctor to tell me it was tachycardia. They gave me medicine for it, and all is well. I mean I am more tired from the medicine but I couldn't be without it because of the rapid heartbeat. My 18 year old daughter is now having the same symptoms as I did, rapid heartbeat, randomly. She even blacked out from it. All her cardiologist says is it is normal. You cannot tell me it is normal for a heart to jump from 70 to 140 within a second while you are sitting still watching TV or something! He is referring us to a doctor out of town for a possible ablation, and tells her she shouldn't drive in case she were to black out.

Comment from: Kay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have had heart arrhythmias frequently for about two years now. It"s abnormal but it"s not life threatening. It"s hard to believe when doctors say it"s not anything to worry about. I have one of the best heart doctors in the world and he has taken my condition very lightly. I was diagnosed with heart premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) about a year and a half ago. The flutter in your chest and skipped heart beats can get really old. I am now suffering severe weakness, chest pain occasionally, lightheadedness, and I've had nausea for about 5 weeks now every day. It"s really frustrating when you are told it"s not a big deal and they just put you on medicine (that for me was not very effective). It is now affecting the quality of my life and I've struggled with it as well as all the symptoms I"ve dealt with the last month. I will have days where I will have 30 heart palpitations in 1 minute. If you are only having a few a day you have nothing to worry about. It"s when you start having other symptoms and it"s affecting your everyday life you should go in and get looked at. After a year of being treated and the problem has only worsened my doctor decided it would be best to do the catheter ablation surgery. I am scheduled for that on May 12th. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix for me. Anyone out there suffering with these like I do, I hope you can find a solution. Keep your head up. Ask about the surgery, it is 85% effective, I have high hopes that this will cure my problem. Good luck to you all.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments Question: How was your arrhythmia treated?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?