Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Roch21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

The first time I experienced irregular heartbeats, it was just an ordinary day. I was straightening my hair in the bathroom, and all of a sudden, I felt really dizzy, and I closed my eyes for a couple seconds because I was so overwhelmed. Everything kind of went black, and then I started experiencing the irregular heartbeats. They're so random, and they come in all forms. This particular time, I felt a pounding in my chest, and it went up to my throat area. It felt as if my heart was going to drop. I was really shocked, but I just tried to ignore it, because it was the worst feeling ever, and I didn't want to experience it again. It happened all day and night that day. As soon as it happens, I quickly lose interest in whatever I may be doing at the time, and I just feel really weak. I don't want to do anything but lie down and try to get my heart back to normal again. I don't think it's stress-related because I'm not really stressed, but it's really annoying and scary. I know when it's coming because it just takes one or two irregular beats, and it just gets worse after that.

Comment from: SedentarySenior, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

After feeling exhaustion for several days, then a pulsing of my heartbeat and noticeable skips, I took my blood pressure with an electronic home model that takes three readings of pressure and pulse rate then averages them. I performed this three-step reading four times over one hour, and each time the average reading was approximately 139/77, pulse 70, and it lit up a red indicator that said "irregular heartbeat."

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I just had an episode. I was sitting at my desk at work and could feel my heart not beating regularly. It lasted at least five seconds, which doesn't sound very long, but it is. I was still able to breathe normally and coughed to try to get the heart beating normally again. Now I feel like my breath is restricted, have tightness in my chest, have a slight headache and feel dizzy. I've had many EKGs (all normal, except for a low heart rate). During the episodes, I get concerned that the heart rate won't go back to normal. I am 40 and have had these symptoms for the past eight years when I was diagnosed with pre-mature ovarian failure.

Published: July 22

I've changed to a healthier diet recently, which included eliminating coffee and colas. Three days ago, I had both a coffee and a cola, and since then, I've noticed an irregularity in my heartbeat throughout each day. Perhaps the sudden change in diet played a role. This is the second time in my life that I had what I considered a lasting irregular heartbeat.

Published: July 09

In the past I have had a few flutterings. The last 4 to 5 days it's been pretty constant. There is no pain, just a lot of pounding in my throat. So I take deep breaths and try to calm down. I am going to call my regular doctor tomorrow and see if I can get in. I don't want to start panicking, but I kind of find myself getting there. I haven't slept well lately and attributed that to stress in the family. I hope I make it through the night so I can find out what the problem is.

Published: June 24

Days go by without any symptoms then all it takes is one worry, fear of flying, and the beats become irregular. There is a gap in between beats and then a big gush of blood in a vein in my neck. It feels as if I am going to faint. I feel very weak and tired for a few days. I am taking sotalol 80mg twice a day for the last 14 years. Problems began with episode of atrial fibrillation in 1987.

Published: June 24

I get the every once in a while. They are irregular and then a big thump and it occurs every few months. I've passed stress test, EKG, cardiac cauterization. Doctors don't know why.

Published: June 18

At any given time during the day, I can feel my heart beat different. Sometimes the moment is longer than the one before. There is no pattern.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments Question: How was your arrhythmia treated?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?