Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: CatGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm 26 and have been experiencing arrhythmias for about 4 years now. At first my symptoms were just palpitations, now I feel sometimes as though I will pass out. Now the heart doctors have given me an EKG to carry around and record every time I get an arrhythmia to see properly what's going on. I'm really hoping I don't have to get surgery or have anything serious. It helps to know that I'm not alone, even though I really wish none of you were going through this. I hope we all get well and our symptoms are relieved in one way or another.

Comment from: Melis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am only 27 and have begun noticing signs of arrhythmia when I was 25. It"s incredibly scary especially at my young age experiencing this and thinking it is a heart attack and/or stroke. My doctor doesn"t take my concerns very seriously and therefore won"t look into it any further. More than twice a day, my heart will flutter rapidly, beat incredibly fast despite me standing still, often skip beats/flutter when sleeping on my right side. It"s all just incredibly scary and it is helpful hearing I"m not alone.

Comment from: GeoffR, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

The first episode of arrhythmia I recall was in 1973 or 1974, when I was in my mid 20s. It passed quickly. The most recent was this morning, beginning at about 6:30 a.m., and continuing for about 5 hours. This was the most serious episode I have had. Fortunately, episodes are relatively infrequent. Sometimes arrhythmia kicks in when I stand up suddenly from a crouched position. I told the doctor who conducted an EKG on me in the summer of 2009 about these episodes, but the test didn't reveal anything. This morning I awoke thirsty, and got up to drink water and juice. After returning to bed, lying on my back, I felt the irregular heart beat start. It felt like something was bouncing around in my rib cage. Changing position did not help. When I did get up, I was very weak and tired, had no energy, and even found I was climbing stairs slowly. While sitting and reading, it finally stopped at about 11:30 a.m. My energy is back, more or less.

Comment from: concerned, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I am 71. I have recently learned I am diabetic. I have a condition (not always) where my heart beat seems to skip or delay a beat. This arrhythmia will go on for seconds or minutes. Then it's back to normal or a little rapid beat. Then again back to missing or delay. I am not sure but I think a stressful situation brings it on.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

With arrhythmia, I had a squeezing sensation and, feeling the carotid artery I could feel a pause in the beat like a missed beat. I also have premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), an extra heartbeat is worse if blood pressure is up. PVCs are also felt upon fast and hard work outs and on a tread mill stress test. Lately I feel a pressure in the chest wall and feeling of a flip flop or a jumping. I thought it was hernia or reflux of upper stomach but it happened at the same time I felt irregular pulse.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I can go for 3-5 months without an episode. Then yesterday I had them all day long, just like waking up with hiccups. Once they start, they don't stop. It's very annoying. Today is somewhat better, but last night about 10:30pm I had an episode that lasted an hour. Usually they only last a second and then disappear and come back 5 minutes later. Last night it felt like fluttering, skipped beats made me catch my breath. I took my BP and it was 117 over 72, which is higher than normal for me especially at rest. There was no pain, shortness of breath or anything that would indicate a heart attack. Today I had the same thing but for shorter time periods. Usually they will disappear when I lie on my left side or do some exercising. An EKG last year showed a normal heart rate and rhythm. Doctor said it's probably benign and not to worry, but I sure would like to know what is causing this. I have had these episodes for 20 years and they seem to get worse with age. I just turned 55. I am a little overweight, but I was not overweight 20 years ago when they started. I hear somewhere that Cocaine use can possibly damage the heart muscle and I remembered that when I was about 24 or 25 I almost overdosed on pure cocaine. Now I don't drink, smoke or take drugs.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments Question: How was your arrhythmia treated?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?