Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: jennylind, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had palpitations and a dizzy spell and ended up having a transient ischemic attack (TIA) in June. I had been to doctors 2 weeks prior. He diagnosed an arrhythmia but because it did not show on an electrocardiogram (ECG), they left it in abeyance. Then I had a stroke 2 weeks later. Now I'm on medication of dabigatran 110 mg. I already take enalapril for blood pressure. I was also put on statins although my cholesterol is not high for my years, so I have not taken them as I have heard and read bad reports. My diet is still the same as before with the exception of a little more fruit. I have been fairly good, but am experiencing dizzy spells again. I don't think alcohol helps me. I find if on the occasions I do drink it can affect me even though I am not a heavy drinker.

Comment from: tubby-t, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am 31 i had a CVA stroke at 23 another mild stroke at 24 while i was 7 months pregnant I also have high blood pressure i been on lisinopril 10mg for 3 years I've been out of for 1 month i took 2 benadral before bed and was waken up because of slowed irregular heartbeat and chest pain followed by a burning sensation and bad headache.

Published: August 01

I had what I think was an "arrhythmia attack" (for want of a better phrase) last night. It started as mild chest pain which got increasingly worse, with extended pain from my chest up my neck to my temple area on the left hand side of my head. This was followed by a sort of pins and needles sensation all over my upper body, and a strange heated feeling which ended up feeling almost like I was burning all over my face, upper back, neck and arms. I got up to try walk it off, and experienced mild dizziness, but my face was literally white as a sheet, and I felt an overwhelming desire to go to sleep, though I stopped myself doing so. The whole episode was over in about 15 minutes, but left me very scared. At the time, I thought I was having a heart attack, but I figured I'm too young (22yrs old) for that, so assumed it might be to do with an anti depressant I am taking, which can cause heart palpitations. Very, very scary!

Comment from: Roch21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

The first time I experienced irregular heartbeats, it was just an ordinary day. I was straightening my hair in the bathroom, and all of a sudden, I felt really dizzy, and I closed my eyes for a couple seconds because I was so overwhelmed. Everything kind of went black, and then I started experiencing the irregular heartbeats. They're so random, and they come in all forms. This particular time, I felt a pounding in my chest, and it went up to my throat area. It felt as if my heart was going to drop. I was really shocked, but I just tried to ignore it, because it was the worst feeling ever, and I didn't want to experience it again. It happened all day and night that day. As soon as it happens, I quickly lose interest in whatever I may be doing at the time, and I just feel really weak. I don't want to do anything but lie down and try to get my heart back to normal again. I don't think it's stress-related because I'm not really stressed, but it's really annoying and scary. I know when it's coming because it just takes one or two irregular beats, and it just gets worse after that.

Comment from: SedentarySenior, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

After feeling exhaustion for several days, then a pulsing of my heartbeat and noticeable skips, I took my blood pressure with an electronic home model that takes three readings of pressure and pulse rate then averages them. I performed this three-step reading four times over one hour, and each time the average reading was approximately 139/77, pulse 70, and it lit up a red indicator that said "irregular heartbeat."

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I just had an episode. I was sitting at my desk at work and could feel my heart not beating regularly. It lasted at least five seconds, which doesn't sound very long, but it is. I was still able to breathe normally and coughed to try to get the heart beating normally again. Now I feel like my breath is restricted, have tightness in my chest, have a slight headache and feel dizzy. I've had many EKGs (all normal, except for a low heart rate). During the episodes, I get concerned that the heart rate won't go back to normal. I am 40 and have had these symptoms for the past eight years when I was diagnosed with pre-mature ovarian failure.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments Question: How was your arrhythmia treated?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?