Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: tallulah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

My heart skips beats early in the morning, sometimes in the day. I have had tests done for arrhythmia, they are normal. I have been having this for two months, it's really driving me crazy. I need help, the doctor say it is okay.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I can go for 3-5 months without an episode. Then yesterday I had them all day long, just like waking up with hiccups. Once they start, they don't stop. It's very annoying. Today is somewhat better, but last night about 10:30pm I had an episode that lasted an hour. Usually they only last a second and then disappear and come back 5 minutes later. Last night it felt like fluttering, skipped beats made me catch my breath. I took my BP and it was 117 over 72, which is higher than normal for me especially at rest. There was no pain, shortness of breath or anything that would indicate a heart attack. Today I had the same thing but for shorter time periods. Usually they will disappear when I lie on my left side or do some exercising. An EKG last year showed a normal heart rate and rhythm. Doctor said it's probably benign and not to worry, but I sure would like to know what is causing this. I have had these episodes for 20 years and they seem to get worse with age. I just turned 55. I am a little overweight, but I was not overweight 20 years ago when they started. I hear somewhere that Cocaine use can possibly damage the heart muscle and I remembered that when I was about 24 or 25 I almost overdosed on pure cocaine. Now I don't drink, smoke or take drugs.

Comment from: sportnut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I have an irregular heart beat. Beating fast and slow. I haven't had any problems with my heart except sometimes when I am sitting or lying I feel a little discomfort. I was diagnosed with Sleep apnea and I didn't use my machine for over a year until I almost passed out when I sat in the sauna for to long of a time. Now I have started to use my machine on a regular basis and I am still having trouble sleeping for over three or four hours at a time. I am confused about whether I need to go and get a pace maker or trying and see why I still can't sleep all night. My machine is set on 9 and I have been feeling better since I started back using my machine again. After I sat in the sauna for too long my blood pressure dropped down to 70 on the high end and I was feeling dizzy for a couple of weeks afterwards, but I don't seem to be having any problems. I would like to know if there is something else I can do before getting a pacemaker.

Published: August 01

I had what I think was an "arrhythmia attack" (for want of a better phrase) last night. It started as mild chest pain which got increasingly worse, with extended pain from my chest up my neck to my temple area on the left hand side of my head. This was followed by a sort of pins and needles sensation all over my upper body, and a strange heated feeling which ended up feeling almost like I was burning all over my face, upper back, neck and arms. I got up to try walk it off, and experienced mild dizziness, but my face was literally white as a sheet, and I felt an overwhelming desire to go to sleep, though I stopped myself doing so. The whole episode was over in about 15 minutes, but left me very scared. At the time, I thought I was having a heart attack, but I figured I'm too young (22yrs old) for that, so assumed it might be to do with an anti depressant I am taking, which can cause heart palpitations. Very, very scary!

Comment from: jennylind, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had palpitations and a dizzy spell and ended up having a transient ischemic attack (TIA) in June. I had been to doctors 2 weeks prior. He diagnosed an arrhythmia but because it did not show on an electrocardiogram (ECG), they left it in abeyance. Then I had a stroke 2 weeks later. Now I'm on medication of dabigatran 110 mg. I already take enalapril for blood pressure. I was also put on statins although my cholesterol is not high for my years, so I have not taken them as I have heard and read bad reports. My diet is still the same as before with the exception of a little more fruit. I have been fairly good, but am experiencing dizzy spells again. I don't think alcohol helps me. I find if on the occasions I do drink it can affect me even though I am not a heavy drinker.

Comment from: tubby-t, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am 31 i had a CVA stroke at 23 another mild stroke at 24 while i was 7 months pregnant I also have high blood pressure i been on lisinopril 10mg for 3 years I've been out of for 1 month i took 2 benadral before bed and was waken up because of slowed irregular heartbeat and chest pain followed by a burning sensation and bad headache.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments Question: How was your arrhythmia treated?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?