Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated?

Comment from: Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I got dengue fever in Thailand in December 2010. It was the most ill I've ever felt in my life. I had constant headaches, and severe flu-like symptoms, but the worst thing was the excruciating pain in my legs, knees, and back. When I tried to stand up, it felt as if someone was stabbing a knife into my knees. I couldn't lie on my back as the pain along my lower spine was so intense. I didn't sleep or eat for nearly a week. I had no energy whatsoever. After about a week to 10 days, I started slowly feeling better, but the knee pain still lingered several weeks afterward.

Comment from: peaceful, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been on verapamil 120 mg time release for arrhythmia, for many years, and now reaching 77 years of age and want to know if I should have a lower dose because of my age. I feel sleepier and in the mornings can feel this way even with a good night's sleep. I do have the dizzy feeling and am short of breath a lot of times.

Comment from: ncsurmy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I've been experiencing what I would describe as an irregular heartbeat off and on now since 2006. At first it was just at night when I would lay down to go to sleep. It felt as if my heart was flopping around like a fish lying on the beach that couldn't get back to the water. I would try to relax by taking deep breaths and go to sleep. When I awoke in the morning my heart felt normal. After several months the symptoms went away and I went a few years without having a recurrence. Last year (2011) it came back and was not only when I was lying down. Now it occurs every day and is much worse when I am lying. I've taken my pulse multiple times during an episode and my heart beats 3 to 5 times normally then pauses and the next beat is much more pronounced than the 3-5 beats just before the pause. When I am lying it feels as though my heart is going to jump right out of my chest and it is difficult to breathe. I found myself taking long deep breaths quite frequently. I am a 53 year old male who stopped smoking in 2006. I am not overweight but have high cholesterol.

Comment from: dirtdabber, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was treated for Mitral valve prolapse for 40 years --then Dr ran a test and now says I have irregular heart beat instead. I have severe episodes causing hospitalization two times last 5 yrs. Just had another electronic test instead of the arteriogram showing that I do have the irregular heartbeat. Dr has me on Bystolic 5 mgs per day and also lisinopril 20 mgs a day for this. My b/p runs high and then low Heart rate sometimes gets below 40 beats per minute. Scary--My Mother had a pace maker which she died from.

Comment from: erniecat1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I went to the doctors feeling breathless and faint. I was immediately sent to hospital where I was stabilized and given proprananol. A week later I have an urgent phone call from the hospital, telling me to discontinue this medication as I was asthmatic and it could lead to a severe asthma attack. I then was give veramapril, this covered me in a full head and body rash, for which I need steroids and various creams. Eventually after 3 other types of medication, it was suggested that I had ablation treatment. I spent 4 hours awake on an operating table having the procedure and was told that it probably hadn't been successful and I may need to undergo the procedure again. I now have episodes of irregular rapid heartbeats and at other times I get very slow beats. I do have more good days than bad days, but it's still a scary condition even after 5 years of suffering.

Comment from: submission, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I get skipped beats hundreds of times per day and it scares the life out of me. I'm afraid to go to sleep in case I die with heart failure. I'm on bisoprolol but it doesn't help. I've had the heart echo and heart monitor, but they keep saying it's not serious. But it affects your whole life, one shouldn't have to live in fear.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced Question: For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?