Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated?

Comment from: Rinchen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

In my case I washed my private parts twice a day and kept it as dry as possible. I also apply anti-fungal ointment twice a day. It helps to improve the jock itch a lot.

Comment from: Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I got dengue fever in Thailand in December 2010. It was the most ill I've ever felt in my life. I had constant headaches, and severe flu-like symptoms, but the worst thing was the excruciating pain in my legs, knees, and back. When I tried to stand up, it felt as if someone was stabbing a knife into my knees. I couldn't lie on my back as the pain along my lower spine was so intense. I didn't sleep or eat for nearly a week. I had no energy whatsoever. After about a week to 10 days, I started slowly feeling better, but the knee pain still lingered several weeks afterward.

Comment from: bb, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

My doctor treated my arrhythmia with magnesium glycinate. Thus I had been low in magnesium. With this supplement all of my arrhythmia goes away. I adjusted my dose until the symptoms went away, and it is a very small dose. I am not sure why doctors overlook magnesium, as it is very noninvasive and works.

Comment from: Bill W., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had arrhythmia for approximately 15 years. It was intermittent for most of this time. Eighteen months ago I began to experience problems with it, shortness of breath and weakness were the worst problems. I finally found a cardiologist who prescribed 50 mg of atenolol daily and 4 mg Coversyl daily along with warfarin as a blood thinner. I have had no instances of arrhythmia for 15 months.

Comment from: EsqBill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I had a mitral valve repair in 2003 and had atrial fibrillation also which was treated by a cardioversion. I was fine for 9 years, no medicine and no limitations. Arrhythmia came back in 2013 and had another conversion which lasted only 3 weeks. I was scheduled for an ablation but tried another conversion first which seems to have worked now for over 7 months. I am taking sotalol just to slow the heart rate.

Comment from: peaceful, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been on verapamil 120 mg time release for arrhythmia, for many years, and now reaching 77 years of age and want to know if I should have a lower dose because of my age. I feel sleepier and in the mornings can feel this way even with a good night's sleep. I do have the dizzy feeling and am short of breath a lot of times.

Comment from: ncsurmy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I've been experiencing what I would describe as an irregular heartbeat off and on now since 2006. At first it was just at night when I would lay down to go to sleep. It felt as if my heart was flopping around like a fish lying on the beach that couldn't get back to the water. I would try to relax by taking deep breaths and go to sleep. When I awoke in the morning my heart felt normal. After several months the symptoms went away and I went a few years without having a recurrence. Last year (2011) it came back and was not only when I was lying down. Now it occurs every day and is much worse when I am lying. I've taken my pulse multiple times during an episode and my heart beats 3 to 5 times normally then pauses and the next beat is much more pronounced than the 3-5 beats just before the pause. When I am lying it feels as though my heart is going to jump right out of my chest and it is difficult to breathe. I found myself taking long deep breaths quite frequently. I am a 53 year old male who stopped smoking in 2006. I am not overweight but have high cholesterol.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced Question: For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?