Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated?

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I've had arrhythmia for 10 or more years and was hospitalized several times. It was like a ping pong game going on in my chest, and I was exhausted during the seven or more hours it occurred. The next day, I felt fine. I'm now on a drug called Multaq. If I keep fairly stress-free, limit the alcohol and caffeine, I am normal. What a relief!

Comment from: macaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with abnormal heart beat about two years ago. I had a heart attack in 2005 but my heart doctor said my heart recovered from that. In the last month I have been hospitalized twice for bouts of my heart beating out of control and blood pressure as high as 216. I am small 5 ft 2" and only weigh 128. I do not drink or smoke. I'm already on three heart meds and aspirin (benicar, tekturna and now normask). In the hospital they gave me a shot of adavan to calm me down and that did work . I would like to know what meds work the best. They tried betablockers but my pulse went down to 40. I am 74 and active and just retired. This is a bummer.

Comment from: mickey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have had SVT all my life (I am now 79), and suffered bouts of palpitations on a regular basis (more than weekly) until about 10 years ago. After experiencing a severe attack of symptoms about 8 years ago, my doctor put me on diltiazem, which I have been taking ever since. It has had miraculous effects, now symptom-free except for a brief, fleeting, and very mild palpitations not more than once a year.

Comment from: Wendy Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have just been diagnosed with arrhythmia. After a few tests and a weeklong stay in the hospital with my Gall Bladder taken out, my heart doctor put a beta blocker in my blood presser medicine. All good and well, but I think now after 3 days I feel it thumping or should I say flipping but it doesn't feel as intense. So in a few weeks we will be back to see him and see how it goes. Maybe the caffeine should be cut out all together. I have only coffee for breakfast time and maybe a diet soda for lunch. I will cut back and see if it's any better.

Comment from: ZonaJim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I suffered for five years with PACs. I was having 30-40 per minute, 24 hours a day. I underwent three different catheter ablations, but I've been free of them for 10 months now! Since then, I've started working out, and I've lost 55 pounds. I feel great.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I haven't had a problem in a few years. Now for 6 days this arrhythmia has been going on. I saw my doctor yesterday, he did a EKG, said it was abnormal, then set up an appointment with a heart doctor. I had a heart cathorisation in 2003 all was fine. I am a smoker, 8 cigarettes a day and a mild coffee drinker. During these days, I haven't had 4 cigarettes, I am afraid they will start again. I feel very week and my legs feel like jelly. Hopefully there will be some answer and relief.

Comment from: kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had open heart, 4-bypass surgery 20 months ago. It has been downhill every month since. I have developed an irregular heart beat. Dr. had me wearing a 24 hour heart monitor. Took heart scan and was told everything "appeared okay". Monitor showed "some irregular" heartbeat, but nothing seriously wrong. So they say. It is nearly stopping me from a normal life. When the episodes happen, it is as though my heart is "not beating" for quite some time. I get so weak; I can barely walk from one room to the other. Then it takes me 60 min to regain strength to do anything. Cardiologist tells me due to other health problems I had at time of my surgery (degenerative disc disease, chronic fibromyalgia, etc.) it is "just going to take me much longer to regain normal lifestyle than others. I say hogwash! I didn't have an irregular heartbeat until AFTER THE SURGERY! I would never let them do open heart on me again. I have no quality of life now. Also developed a hernia after surgery at the sternum. The hernia "seeped" through the surgery point on chest. I had a heart attack July 2009, emergency room gave me nitro and I felt better. Catherization showed 90% blockage one artery, and 80/70 others. Not good I know, but I felt better before surgery. I have to find doctor that will be interested in helping me get my life back. I'm 67 and got lots of living I want to do yet. Good luck to all of you.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced Question: For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?