Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated?

Comment from: Pats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 58 years old and was diagnosed with A-fib at the age of 24. I've been on Inderal LA for many years and Lisinopril. Inderal LA is the only medication that has controlled the syncope episodes. Before I started Inderal I was having near fainting spells about three times a week. When I was 38 I had my gall bladder removed and was told I had the EKG of an old lady. This is a scary condition.

Comment from: Faith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

Want to share information that has helped my arrhythmia. The doctor told me to try magnesium and it seems to have helped. There's various opinions on what type to take. The powdered form that is mixed with water seems to help me. The only problem that I experienced from it was gall bladder pain, so I may have taken it too often, because it helped me even within a week. Deficiency can cause heart problems and muscle aches, restless leg syndrome, fatigue, etc. I had it all. Hope that helps, because I had never had any doctor tell me that before and I've experienced all symptoms for years.

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I've had arrhythmia for 10 or more years and was hospitalized several times. It was like a ping pong game going on in my chest, and I was exhausted during the seven or more hours it occurred. The next day, I felt fine. I'm now on a drug called Multaq. If I keep fairly stress-free, limit the alcohol and caffeine, I am normal. What a relief!

Comment from: macaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with abnormal heart beat about two years ago. I had a heart attack in 2005 but my heart doctor said my heart recovered from that. In the last month I have been hospitalized twice for bouts of my heart beating out of control and blood pressure as high as 216. I am small 5 ft 2" and only weigh 128. I do not drink or smoke. I'm already on three heart meds and aspirin (benicar, tekturna and now normask). In the hospital they gave me a shot of adavan to calm me down and that did work . I would like to know what meds work the best. They tried betablockers but my pulse went down to 40. I am 74 and active and just retired. This is a bummer.

Comment from: mickey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have had SVT all my life (I am now 79), and suffered bouts of palpitations on a regular basis (more than weekly) until about 10 years ago. After experiencing a severe attack of symptoms about 8 years ago, my doctor put me on diltiazem, which I have been taking ever since. It has had miraculous effects, now symptom-free except for a brief, fleeting, and very mild palpitations not more than once a year.

Comment from: Wendy Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have just been diagnosed with arrhythmia. After a few tests and a weeklong stay in the hospital with my Gall Bladder taken out, my heart doctor put a beta blocker in my blood presser medicine. All good and well, but I think now after 3 days I feel it thumping or should I say flipping but it doesn't feel as intense. So in a few weeks we will be back to see him and see how it goes. Maybe the caffeine should be cut out all together. I have only coffee for breakfast time and maybe a diet soda for lunch. I will cut back and see if it's any better.

Comment from: ZonaJim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I suffered for five years with PACs. I was having 30-40 per minute, 24 hours a day. I underwent three different catheter ablations, but I've been free of them for 10 months now! Since then, I've started working out, and I've lost 55 pounds. I feel great.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced Question: For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?