Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated?

Comment from: Sick of AFib, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was diagnosed with AFib two years ago. Was sent for catheter ablation but sent home "it was all hormonal.” Put on beta blockers for last two years but got sick on them and am now on dialtizm. (Beta blockers made me stoned and so tired I could not function.) Now it is not working as well (2 mos.) I am waiting for appt. to see about ablation again.

Comment from: Wendy Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have just been diagnosed with arrhythmia. After a few tests and a weeklong stay in the hospital with my Gall Bladder taken out, my heart doctor put a beta blocker in my blood presser medicine. All good and well, but I think now after 3 days I feel it thumping or should I say flipping but it doesn't feel as intense. So in a few weeks we will be back to see him and see how it goes. Maybe the caffeine should be cut out all together. I have only coffee for breakfast time and maybe a diet soda for lunch. I will cut back and see if it's any better.

Comment from: ZonaJim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I suffered for five years with PACs. I was having 30-40 per minute, 24 hours a day. I underwent three different catheter ablations, but I've been free of them for 10 months now! Since then, I've started working out, and I've lost 55 pounds. I feel great.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I haven't had a problem in a few years. Now for 6 days this arrhythmia has been going on. I saw my doctor yesterday, he did a EKG, said it was abnormal, then set up an appointment with a heart doctor. I had a heart cathorisation in 2003 all was fine. I am a smoker, 8 cigarettes a day and a mild coffee drinker. During these days, I haven't had 4 cigarettes, I am afraid they will start again. I feel very week and my legs feel like jelly. Hopefully there will be some answer and relief.

Comment from: kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had open heart, 4-bypass surgery 20 months ago. It has been downhill every month since. I have developed an irregular heart beat. Dr. had me wearing a 24 hour heart monitor. Took heart scan and was told everything "appeared okay". Monitor showed "some irregular" heartbeat, but nothing seriously wrong. So they say. It is nearly stopping me from a normal life. When the episodes happen, it is as though my heart is "not beating" for quite some time. I get so weak; I can barely walk from one room to the other. Then it takes me 60 min to regain strength to do anything. Cardiologist tells me due to other health problems I had at time of my surgery (degenerative disc disease, chronic fibromyalgia, etc.) it is "just going to take me much longer to regain normal lifestyle than others. I say hogwash! I didn't have an irregular heartbeat until AFTER THE SURGERY! I would never let them do open heart on me again. I have no quality of life now. Also developed a hernia after surgery at the sternum. The hernia "seeped" through the surgery point on chest. I had a heart attack July 2009, emergency room gave me nitro and I felt better. Catherization showed 90% blockage one artery, and 80/70 others. Not good I know, but I felt better before surgery. I have to find doctor that will be interested in helping me get my life back. I'm 67 and got lots of living I want to do yet. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: Vetteman 327, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 18

I have an irregular heart beat and as far as I'm concerned my heart Doctor is doing nothing about it! I had to ask another Doctor if he would order a 24 hour heart monitor and he did. When my heart doctor read the results to me I didn't understand anything he said! Just keep on the veraperamil for which I battled to take for 16 months or more!

Comment from: Katerina, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I got heart arrhythmia for the first time when I graduated with my Master's Degree at the age of 22. I lost much weight, had an eating disorder for about 6 months, and felt constantly stressed. I did not know what it was for 6 months. I was experiencing it every week especially after eating. I went for an ECG but they didn't diagnose me with anything. I was visiting my doctor 6 months later and it suddenly started. My heartbeat was 113! My doctor sent me directly to the hospital. In the hospital they tried three different medicines, including injection into the vain. My heartbeat went to 220. I was almost faint, but still conscious. In the end, they gave me a beta-blocker. I think it was Propranolol. I was on it for a year until I was operated on for a Catheter Ablation. My lifestyle improved drastically. I started training, eating more varied foods, and cut alcohol. Now I still experience it slightly, but it is rare and not continuous.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced Question: For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?