Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated?

Comment from: dirtdabber, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was treated for Mitral valve prolapse for 40 years --then Dr ran a test and now says I have irregular heart beat instead. I have severe episodes causing hospitalization two times last 5 yrs. Just had another electronic test instead of the arteriogram showing that I do have the irregular heartbeat. Dr has me on Bystolic 5 mgs per day and also lisinopril 20 mgs a day for this. My b/p runs high and then low Heart rate sometimes gets below 40 beats per minute. Scary--My Mother had a pace maker which she died from.

Comment from: erniecat1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I went to the doctors feeling breathless and faint. I was immediately sent to hospital where I was stabilized and given proprananol. A week later I have an urgent phone call from the hospital, telling me to discontinue this medication as I was asthmatic and it could lead to a severe asthma attack. I then was give veramapril, this covered me in a full head and body rash, for which I need steroids and various creams. Eventually after 3 other types of medication, it was suggested that I had ablation treatment. I spent 4 hours awake on an operating table having the procedure and was told that it probably hadn't been successful and I may need to undergo the procedure again. I now have episodes of irregular rapid heartbeats and at other times I get very slow beats. I do have more good days than bad days, but it's still a scary condition even after 5 years of suffering.

Comment from: submission, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I get skipped beats hundreds of times per day and it scares the life out of me. I'm afraid to go to sleep in case I die with heart failure. I'm on bisoprolol but it doesn't help. I've had the heart echo and heart monitor, but they keep saying it's not serious. But it affects your whole life, one shouldn't have to live in fear.

Comment from: rose, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

About 25 years ago, three days after given birth to my youngest child, I woke with a thumping heart. It hadn't slowed after 20 minutes, so I rang my doctor, who said it was anxiety. Through the years I've had many more attacks and was even sent to a psychiatrist. I switched doctors. Eventually, I was diagnosed with AV nodal reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT). After years of various medications, I had an ablation, which, although was not a pleasant experience, actually stopped any more episodes. This was great for two years. I didn't need medication until I came down with a flu virus. Within two days, the palpitations came back. I now take 600 mgs a day of disopyramide phosphate, which thankfully works.

Comment from: Kandace, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Hi I am a 25 year old female. When I was 23 my heart started beating very hard and very fast while I was mopping the floor. I was so scared I had someone take me to the hospital where they gave me something to slow my heart. It hasn't happened again until today. It scared me so much that on my way to the hospital I flagged down an ambulance and they had to take me to the hospital. I still have know idea what to do about it myself.

Comment from: char, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I awoke in the middle of the night 3 days before Christmas with my heart jumping/flopping around in my chest. I took some nitro with no relief. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days where I experienced a heart attack. I had every test under the sun, but the results were inconclusive, according to the Cardiologist, who personally performed the angiogram. He prescribed Bystolic and after 4 days the arrhythmia hasn't slowed or stopped. I see him again in 2 days. I haven't had a cigarette in over 27 years and don't drink or do drugs. I have 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day. I've been doing hatha yoga for 37 years, and a vegetarian for 25 years. I meditate and have no anxiety. These episodes are exhausting and frightening.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced Question: For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?