Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated?

Comment from: Kandace, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Hi I am a 25 year old female. When I was 23 my heart started beating very hard and very fast while I was mopping the floor. I was so scared I had someone take me to the hospital where they gave me something to slow my heart. It hasn't happened again until today. It scared me so much that on my way to the hospital I flagged down an ambulance and they had to take me to the hospital. I still have know idea what to do about it myself.

Comment from: char, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I awoke in the middle of the night 3 days before Christmas with my heart jumping/flopping around in my chest. I took some nitro with no relief. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days where I experienced a heart attack. I had every test under the sun, but the results were inconclusive, according to the Cardiologist, who personally performed the angiogram. He prescribed Bystolic and after 4 days the arrhythmia hasn't slowed or stopped. I see him again in 2 days. I haven't had a cigarette in over 27 years and don't drink or do drugs. I have 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day. I've been doing hatha yoga for 37 years, and a vegetarian for 25 years. I meditate and have no anxiety. These episodes are exhausting and frightening.

Comment from: Hernan Haded, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Hi. I am 38 years old I live in Hong Kong. It has been two years since the arrhythmia was diagnosed. It is supraventricular with structurally healthy heart. I tried Inderal, Propafenone and Concor. The side effects were horrible. because my life was not at risk, I stopped taking them. the palpitations came back full force: up to 27,000/day measured by holter. I tried it all: chinese medicine, osteopathy, homeopathy and many more things (tai chi, qi gong and meditation). My palpitations now are below 1,000/day and I keep getting better and better.

Comment from: Pats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 58 years old and was diagnosed with A-fib at the age of 24. I've been on Inderal LA for many years and Lisinopril. Inderal LA is the only medication that has controlled the syncope episodes. Before I started Inderal I was having near fainting spells about three times a week. When I was 38 I had my gall bladder removed and was told I had the EKG of an old lady. This is a scary condition.

Comment from: Faith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

Want to share information that has helped my arrhythmia. The doctor told me to try magnesium and it seems to have helped. There's various opinions on what type to take. The powdered form that is mixed with water seems to help me. The only problem that I experienced from it was gall bladder pain, so I may have taken it too often, because it helped me even within a week. Deficiency can cause heart problems and muscle aches, restless leg syndrome, fatigue, etc. I had it all. Hope that helps, because I had never had any doctor tell me that before and I've experienced all symptoms for years.

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I've had arrhythmia for 10 or more years and was hospitalized several times. It was like a ping pong game going on in my chest, and I was exhausted during the seven or more hours it occurred. The next day, I felt fine. I'm now on a drug called Multaq. If I keep fairly stress-free, limit the alcohol and caffeine, I am normal. What a relief!

Comment from: macaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with abnormal heart beat about two years ago. I had a heart attack in 2005 but my heart doctor said my heart recovered from that. In the last month I have been hospitalized twice for bouts of my heart beating out of control and blood pressure as high as 216. I am small 5 ft 2" and only weigh 128. I do not drink or smoke. I'm already on three heart meds and aspirin (benicar, tekturna and now normask). In the hospital they gave me a shot of adavan to calm me down and that did work . I would like to know what meds work the best. They tried betablockers but my pulse went down to 40. I am 74 and active and just retired. This is a bummer.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced Question: For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes Question: What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?