Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes

What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had 3 episodes of atrial fibrillation in the last 15 years, the last one in July of this year which was the first in over 13 years. Since that time I have been experiencing skipped beats occasionally but in the last week I have them every day, sometimes 6 to 10 a minute. I have been checked out by a cardiologist as well when I was in the hospital back in July and no problems. I am trying to get rid of them but nothing seems to work.

Comment from: livegood3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I've noticed that when I drink something cold like ice water or have a shake after exercising (especially), or even if just walking around the mall or my house, my heart will go into arrhythmia for anywhere from 30 minutes to three hours. I also feel light headed when I stand up sometimes, once these arrhythmias start. I normally have a regular heart rhythm of 75-85. But when I drink a cold beverage, it can shoot up to 160-200 sometimes.

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In October of 2012 I had a pneumonia vaccine. In January of 2013 I was sick and suspected it might be the flu. I was diagnosed as having pneumonia. My doctor gave me a Z-pack and a cortisone inhaler. These caused atrial fibrillation. Now I'm taking hydrochloride.

Comment from: Randy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I have had this for 15 years. The trigger is a single cough. It stops if I lay down.

Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced Question: For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments Question: How was your arrhythmia treated?
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types Question: What type of arrhythmia do you have?