- Heart Disease Slideshow Pictures
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced
- Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments
- Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types
- Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes
- Find a local Cardiologist in your town
- Introduction to Arrhythmia
- What causes an arrhythmia?
- What are the types of arrhythmias?
- What are the symptoms of arrhythmias?
- How are arrhythmias diagnosed?
- How are arrhythmias treated?
- What medications are used to treat arrhythmias?
- What lifestyle changes should be made?
- What is electrical cardioversion?
- What is a pacemaker?
- What is an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD)?
- What is catheter ablation?
- What is heart surgery?
Quick GuideHeart Health Pictures Slideshow: 12 Possible Heart Symptoms Never to Ignore
What Is Heart Surgery?
Heart surgery may be needed to correct heart disease that may be causing the arrhythmia. The Maze procedure is a type of surgery used to correct atrial fibrillation. During this procedure, a series (or "maze") of incisions are made in the right and left atria to confine the electrical impulses to defined pathways. Some people may require a pacemaker after this procedure.
WebMD Medical Reference
Reviewed by Robert J Bryg, MD on March 07, 2009