Patient Comments: ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) - Diagnosis

Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of ARDS. Were you being treated for another condition?

Comment from: Gale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I began feeling ill on a Monday and by Wednesday was in the hospital with pneumonia. By Thursday night I was in the ICU where I spent 6 days most of which I don"t remember. My oxygen levels were low and I"m told I didn"t make much sense when I spoke. I was diagnosed with ARDS and spent a total of 2 weeks in the hospital and then spent 2 1/2 months out of work recuperating from the illness. I was so weakened after the 2 weeks in the hospital that I had physical therapy for 8 weeks. I"m told I was very near death.

Comment from: momlen, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My husband was admitted to hospital with loss of feeling in his feet and tingling in his hands. Every test was run and nothing found. He continued to lose feeling, oxygen levels dropped, and blood pressure very high. Long story short he continued to get worse, unable to feed himself, or function. He was aspirated, ended up being put on ventilator, RotoProne bed. This man was not sick prior to all these events and was going to work. He passed away 1-23-14 after being admitted 1-2-14. His death certificate read cause of death ARDS. He was under extreme stress before all these happenings and don"t know if this could have been cause of this.

ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) - Experience Question: Do/did you or someone you know have ARDS? Please share your experience.
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) - Signs Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with ARDS?
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for ARDS?