Patient Comments: ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) - Experience

Do/did you or someone you know have ARDS? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Charles, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia about 1 1/2 years ago, with an oxygen level of 80. The pneumonia morphed into acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and I spent nearly three weeks in the ICU, the first several days with a ventilator. After I was released I was on oxygen for approximately two months and soon started physical therapy. I am told by my pulmonologist that my lungs are damaged, but my pulmonary function tests have been normal and I generally feel pretty good. I am fortunate, I suppose, but also feel somewhat depressed at times and reclusive. I attribute those feelings to my bout with ARDS.

Comment from: i3xlucky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had surgery in early February. Two days later I was taken to the emergency room (ER) with a strange cough. When I got there my SAT (oxygen saturation) rate was 28%. I was on life support for nine days for ARDS. I also went into septic shock. I was eventually transferred to the rehabilitation unit of the hospital and am once again able to walk, stand, and take care of my personal needs. This was the hardest thing I have ever done. I was told that had I not gone to rehab I would have been in a nursing home the rest of my life. This is very scary stuff.

Comment from: adah, Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My husband is 59 years old and had a cough for 3 months. He had a normal x-ray on 2/1, on 2/6 he was admitted to the hospital with a double pneumonia. He is still in ICU and on a ventilator. Now his kidneys failed and his white blood count is low. He also was a healthy man who worked every day and could run circles around me. They need to have an ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) awareness so others won"t let this happen. This is a nightmare and I never heard of this before either.

Comment from: Lindy54, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My daughter just died from ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) on 25 January, 2014. She was only 36 years old. She had been coughing for 3 months, with an upset stomach and more and more vomiting, prior to her hospitalization on 5 January. During those 3 months, she had seen her primary care numerous times, a pulmonologist, and an allergist along with a few acute care visits and several emergency room visits. An upper gastro intestinal test on 6 January revealed that a lap band that she had received 2 1/2 years ago had slipped and twisted. On the 7th she aspirated vomit while still in the hospital and ended up on a ventilator. This aspiration is what led to the ARDS. She died having never regained consciousness after the ventilator was inserted. I had not heard of ARDS before this and wish I had never had to learn what it is. ARDS is not a diagnosis to be taken lightly. We are still in shock at the loss of one so young.

Comment from: shopgirl, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My daughter was diagnosed with ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), after being diagnosed with pneumonia. She has been in ICU for almost 2 months and she still has pneumonia. She is hallucinating now. This started out as a colon rupture.

Comment from: scuba0620, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I suffered with acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in October of 2005. Between then and now, therapies and caregiver, I am in my own home and taking free classes online. I can no longer drive but thanks to speech recognition software I can still type! For those who also survived: there have been great strides made for all treatment. For those who have lost loved ones: I too wish you had never heard of ARDS.

ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) - Signs Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with ARDS?
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of ARDS. Were you being treated for another condition?
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for ARDS?