Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?

Comment from: Karen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Around 1 pm I lost my appetite. I ate a piece of fruit and went out for a few hours. I noticed I started getting an ache in my stomach, which felt more like it was in my pelvis and walking straight hurt. I had a persistent urge to go to the toilet. At 6 pm the pain got worse. Lifting my leg up towards me hurt. So I went to the emergency department. My white blood cell count was high. An ultrasound showed a very swollen appendix. I had an appendectomy the next morning and was on antibiotics. I never experienced fever or vomiting, only slight nausea 6 hours after the first symptoms began. Never ignore pain. All appendicitis symptoms are different for each person. My dad suffered appendix pain for 4 days before going to the hospital and he had a gangrenous appendix. Some people don't experience anything more than an ache or a pain in their stomach.

Comment from: Kelsey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am a 20 year female who experienced the worst pain in my entire life. On November 12th, (last Thursday), at around 2:00 PM I started feeling a little nauseous, but not so bad that I couldn't do anything. At 7:00 PM I rolled around and I decided to go to my usual Zumba class at the gym. I felt okay, and when I got home at 8:00 PM I had made some eggs. I still felt a little off and I tried to study for my test the next day and couldn't even deal looking at my papers. So I went and got in bed, and I couldn't sleep. I was so nauseous and at about 11:30 I went to my bathroom and started throwing up. I figured I would be somewhat relieved after throwing up a couple times, but no, the more I threw up, the more it started hurting and the more I got nauseous. So I threw up nonstop, and at 2:30 I had my roommate take me to the emergency room (ER). I got to the ER and did nothing but vomit in their bathroom. So in my head I was thinking I am being ridiculous, this is a stomach bug, so I didn't even stay at the ER. I left and went back home. I nearly passed out walking back to my apartment after parking the car. I was back in my bathroom vomiting for about 7 more hours straight. I am not joking, I didn't leave my bathroom. My parents weren't answering the phone (which never happens). So 9:30 AM the next morning, I had my family friend take me to the hospital. When I arrived I had a lot of blood work done, had to urinate in a cup, etc. Then they told me they were guessing it was more than likely my appendix, so I was sent to get a CAT scan done. After the CAT scan, it was immediately confirmed that it was appendicitis. I went into surgery one hour later. This is nothing to play around with. Don't be stubborn like I was. You know your body better than anyone else, when something isn't right, go to the doctor to be safe.

Comment from: Firefly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have been to the hospital once already and I feel like it is a repeat of what my dad had to go through. I have lower right abdominal pain that is crippling, for three days now. Nausea on and off, if I eat anything I throw it up. I can barely walk without passing out and I am running a low grade fever of 99, mind you my normal is 97. I'm shaking, can't get warm and have diarrhea. I was at the hospital two days ago and was told I am fine. I have a long family history of appendicitis, and am really scared. I can't even go to work it hurts so bad. Did I mention that they did a CT on my dad to and he went back three times! Before they realized his appendix had ruptured.

Comment from: dee, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

November 2013 my father got rushed to the hospital because he felt numbness on the right side of his body. When he got to the hospital they had told him that his appendix had popped. During his operation he had a stroke, and though there was no sign of damage to the brain, he lost full feeling on the whole right side of his body starting from his eyes, mouth, neck, shoulder, arm, hand, leg, knee, foot and toes. He had gained a bit of strength, he can walk (though he wobbles), and the most he can pick up is his phone and also he has trouble with his vision. The doctors haven't put a name onto what had happened to him. We don't know if it was the appendicitis that had triggered the so called stroke or if it was something else, because like I said he had no damage to the brain.

Comment from: Jeni, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

My pain with appendicitis was not severe. I felt a sharp pain in the lower right side of my abdomen when I sat up/down, walked, moved from laying down to sitting position, etc. I had the chills from a fever and did not have much of an appetite for a day. I did not think it was appendicitis because I had always heard that the pain was unbearable but it wasn't for me. Always be cautious and check with your primary care doctor.

Appendicitis - Treatments Question: How was your appendicitis treated?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.