Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?

Published: June 17

Experienced 'gas pain', occasional vomiting, loose bowel movements, no appetite, low grade fever, symptoms of what I first thought was a stomach virus, except it lasted more then 48 hours. The rebound pain (where pain is felt on the release of applied pressure upon the abdomen) is what actually got me to go the hospital, and at that point I was unable to stand up straight due to the intense pain. Turns out the appendix was gangrenous and had to be taken out immediately.

Published: June 17

For the first few days of having appendicitis, I thought I had the flu or some sort of stomach virus because I had been puking all of the first night I had it. After 2 days of no appetite, I had a sharp pain shooting in my abdominal area and waited for a while to see if it would go away. After a few hours, I tried getting up and I couldn't stand up straight because of the excruciating pain. I had to crawl up my stairs to get a ride to the hospital. Worst night ever.

Published: June 10

Pain in lower abdomen on the left side going round to my back and down my left side but the main pain is in the lower abdomen.

Published: June 09

I woke up feeling very nauseated and started to vomit violently later in the day. I also got a fever of 104 around the same time, and my abdomen was very sensitive and irritable; I thought I had stomach flu. It felt like I had diarrhea and menstrual cramps at the same time that came in powerful, excruciating waves.

Published: June 09

I got operated for appendicitis. On the previous day my abdomen had severe pain. It was all over the abdomen. I also experienced backache. Fever was also there.

Published: June 05

My daughter came to my bed this morning and her stomach hurt and she had a fever and it is on and to the right of the belly button.

Published: June 04

It was like the worst stomach ache I've experienced. And like I had to go number 2 in the bathroom, but when i tried nothing came out.

Published: June 02

At first, I thought I had the flu. I was throwing up and couldn't even keep water down. I went to the hospital and they originally thought I had gastritis due to some other health problems I have. My appendix ruptured that night and I had to go back to the hospital. The pain was all over my lower abdomen kind of like menstrual cramping.

Published: May 29

At first it felt like an ulcer; burning and uncomfortable. After several hours of nausea, I had excruciating pain in the lower right side of my abdomen and a low grade fever.

Published: May 27

I thought I had the flu, at first. This lasted for two days, but I was never vomiting, just queasy,and not interested in eating. On day three the pain became so severe, I had a difficult time walking. I kept feeling the urge to vomit, but nothing would happen. I had a high fever, 103, and finally went to the emergency room after several hours of severe pain.

Appendicitis - Treatments Question: How was your appendicitis treated?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.