Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?

Comment from: luvcountry22, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am scared I could have an appendicitis but am not 100% sure and don't want to look like "a fool" if I go to the emergency room and it is nothing. I've had pain in my lower right abdomen on and off for about 4 days. I have a low grade fever, chills and diarrhea. My stomach feels very full and bloated. I read sites that say these symptoms are probably an appendicitis - but I don't fit the "norm" for symptoms.

Comment from: cicconi81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I felt horrible for a few weeks. My lower back and hips felt gutted. I thought it was because I had an epidural four months earlier for the birth of my son. My arms and legs felt tingling and it hurt to sit or stand for long periods of time. I also felt lightheaded and dizzy when I walked. I did not lose my appetite during this time. I did not feel nauseated or pain in my stomach or side until like the third week. I woke up one day, but couldn't finish my lunch and my hip hurt so much I could not walk up the stairs. The pain in my hip lasted for about an hour and subsided. I went to the ER because I felt weak, shaky and short of breath. The doctor said that I might have had a bladder infection since the pain was so low. After a CT scan, urinalysis, and blood work, they determined it was my appendix and I had surgery that night.

Published: July 18

I used to have mild pain on the right side and a feeling of liquid flowing adjacent to my naval now and then for the past 12 years and used to get severe headache pursuing for hours. When ever I take antibiotics the system will be alright for a few days and once again heavy feeling in the stomach and headache will come especially when spicy food is taken. I consulted doctors with views as amebioses, indigestion and inability to digest. Now my doctor says it may be appendicitis and asked me to take antibiotics but ruled out any surgery.

Published: July 15

26 year old female - I woke up at Sunday night at 11 with stomach pains and diarrhea. I went to the ER at 7:30 Monday morning, was given morphine and told it was gastroenteritis and sent home. Still didn't feel better on Wednesday, so I made an appointment with my regular doctor for Thursday. Went in on Thursday and she told me I had appendicitis and needed to be operated on immediately. The surgeon told me after the surgery that my appendix was perforated and dead and that all that was left in my appendix was air. Spent 3.5 days in the hospital, a week at home recouping and am now back to work half days for the next week before going back full time. Not fun.

Published: July 10

I was 5 months pregnant when I was hit in the stomach by my nephew, I thought I was fine, but then the next day I had this horrible pain in my stomach. I went to the hospital and they told me that it wasn't labor pains, and they "don't do regular pain" so they sent me home. This went on for the rest of my pregnancy. After I gave birth I couldn't stand or walk for any real length of time. Then I started vomiting and I had this horrible pain in my stomach, about three months later, we went to the E.R. and they said it was food poisoning, gave me a bunch of morphine and sent me home. My appendix burst the next morning at home at around 10:30 am and I went back to the E.R. From there they left me in the waiting room for 2 hours, a hallway for 3 hours, and I was finally put into surgery at 8:00pm. I had periostitis and was in the hospital for a week. It was the worst experience of my life and even a year later, after months of doctor visits and physical therapy to help me recover from the surgeons shoddy work, I still have pain today.

Published: July 08

I starting having severe stomach cramping on a Monday morning and was out of town. By the time the 3 hour airplane ride commenced, I was on the floor in the back galley writhing in pain and very nauseous. I couldn't stand anything on my stomach. I drove myself to the emergency room, was given a CAT scan and then admitted to the hospital about midnight and had surgery at 6 AM. It had not ruptured but I was told it was "nasty" and gangrenous. Mine had to be surgically removed and the laparoscopy was not an option. The pain was not too bad but the anti-biotics and the hydrocodone they gave almost wiped me out. Couldn't eat anything and water tastes like metal. I took my last pill this morning and feel like a human being.

Appendicitis - Treatments Question: How was your appendicitis treated?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.