Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?

Published: July 15

I had intense stomach pains after eating that lasted several hours. It felt like I had swallowed broken glass. I also had nausea. I took antacids, etc. that did nothing. That stomach pain went away on its own, but it traveled to my lower right side. I had no appetite and started vomiting. I went to the ER. They performed a pelvic exam to rule out ovarian cysts; and a CT scan. The CT scan showed an inflamed appendix. I was sent to OR that night. It was removed laparoscopically. It was a lot worse than what the CT scan showed. Luckily, it hadn't ruptured, although there was some pus that had to be removed. I was able to leave the hospital the very next day. If I had waited a day longer it would have ruptured.

Published: July 15

I woke up at 2:30am on July 6th. The pain in my lower abdomen was severe and the vomiting was intense. At first I thought I had food poisoning. The vomiting lasted for 4 hours. I knew that something more serious was wrong with me. At 6am I quickly jumped into the shower and cleaned up. I then drove myself to the ER. My problems were addressed immediately and before I knew it, I was getting a CT scan. After reading the scans, I was informed that I had an enlarged appendix. Surgery soon followed. After I came out of the anesthesia, I knew that I felt better right then and there. I asked the DR. what my appendix looked like when he removed it and he said that it looked "ugly". I stayed in the hospital for only one day; however I'll be off work for 6 weeks.

Published: July 08

Initially, I experienced just a nagging backache which I attributed to sleeping in an awkward position. After a few days, my stomach became distended, and I realized that I was constipated. But after a few days of lots of fruits and vegetables, I had no relief. So I took a laxative and woke during the night in extreme pain. The next day, my stomach still distended and hurt, but I blamed it on the laxative. Finally on day 7, I went to ER and appendicitis was diagnosed. During surgery they found that a part of my colon had also become infected and had to be removed. It has now been 10 days since surgery and I am still recuperating! Earlier diagnosis would have greatly reduced the extent of surgery and recovery.

Comment from: luvcountry22, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am scared I could have an appendicitis but am not 100% sure and don't want to look like "a fool" if I go to the emergency room and it is nothing. I've had pain in my lower right abdomen on and off for about 4 days. I have a low grade fever, chills and diarrhea. My stomach feels very full and bloated. I read sites that say these symptoms are probably an appendicitis - but I don't fit the "norm" for symptoms.

Comment from: cicconi81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I felt horrible for a few weeks. My lower back and hips felt gutted. I thought it was because I had an epidural four months earlier for the birth of my son. My arms and legs felt tingling and it hurt to sit or stand for long periods of time. I also felt lightheaded and dizzy when I walked. I did not lose my appetite during this time. I did not feel nauseated or pain in my stomach or side until like the third week. I woke up one day, but couldn't finish my lunch and my hip hurt so much I could not walk up the stairs. The pain in my hip lasted for about an hour and subsided. I went to the ER because I felt weak, shaky and short of breath. The doctor said that I might have had a bladder infection since the pain was so low. After a CT scan, urinalysis, and blood work, they determined it was my appendix and I had surgery that night.

Published: July 18

I used to have mild pain on the right side and a feeling of liquid flowing adjacent to my naval now and then for the past 12 years and used to get severe headache pursuing for hours. When ever I take antibiotics the system will be alright for a few days and once again heavy feeling in the stomach and headache will come especially when spicy food is taken. I consulted doctors with views as amebioses, indigestion and inability to digest. Now my doctor says it may be appendicitis and asked me to take antibiotics but ruled out any surgery.

Published: July 15

26 year old female - I woke up at Sunday night at 11 with stomach pains and diarrhea. I went to the ER at 7:30 Monday morning, was given morphine and told it was gastroenteritis and sent home. Still didn't feel better on Wednesday, so I made an appointment with my regular doctor for Thursday. Went in on Thursday and she told me I had appendicitis and needed to be operated on immediately. The surgeon told me after the surgery that my appendix was perforated and dead and that all that was left in my appendix was air. Spent 3.5 days in the hospital, a week at home recouping and am now back to work half days for the next week before going back full time. Not fun.

Appendicitis - Treatments Question: How was your appendicitis treated?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.