Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?

Comment from: R Ford, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

My 13 year old daughter has been having stomach pain. It's in her upper abdomen. She has no fever or vomiting. I am worried if it is appendicitis.

Comment from: Courtneybd, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I woke up on a Sunday with flu-like symptoms. I had awful body aches, a fever, and was incredibly exhausted. It didn't get better until Friday evening, when I felt I could finally get out of bed. Later that same night, I got a horrible stomach ache, right near my belly button. It just didn't feel right. It got worse and worse until I threw up. I thought I had the stomach bug or an ovarian cyst (which I get often). The next morning my stomach still hurt so I went to my gynecologist to see if it was indeed a cyst. They declared that it was not a cyst and to go to the emergency room (ER) and get my appendix checked. It was indeed my appendix, and I got operated on that same day. I felt much better afterwards.

Comment from: wtrboy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I hope my story helps someone who thinks they may have appendicitis. I had been feeling bloated for about a day prior to the onset of pain. The pain started in my chest/stomach area, about 3 inches below the lower tip of my sternum. The pain was dull at first, but increased in intensity over the course of about 5 hours. I was also experiencing a lot of pressure in my abdomen, like you might have after a heavy meal or gas. My stomach was also distended slightly. The pain was centralized to the area of my chest/stomach, but gradually started migrating downward and towards the right corner of my abdomen, right next to my hip bone. It took about 10 hours for the pain to move from the center of my chest to the right, lower corner of my abdomen. I started vomiting about 3 hours into the worst pain I've ever experienced, like knife jabs to the chest. Eventually I went to the emergency room (ER) where they ran bloodwork. My WBC count was high (over 12) indicating an infection. The next day (after about 15 hours since the onset of symptoms) an echo sound of my abdomen was conducted and they found the inflamed appendix. I had surgery the same evening. I think the key factors leading to the diagnosis was the description of symptoms (pain, especially localized to the lower right abdomen, vomiting) elevated white blood cell count and echo sound results. Also, I could definitely feel the appendix and it felt a lot like a pulled pelvic muscle. I believe I had had chronic appendicitis previously because these symptoms were familiar, but not as severe.

Comment from: mrsgardea, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

It was a Tuesday, and I started the day out with frequent diarrhea till about 2 pm. Then I started feeling a pain in my right side, about the height of my belly button. I thought maybe I pulled a muscle, but I wasn"t doing anything active. A couple hours later I thought it must be gas pains so I took a double dose of Gasex. By 8 pm, nothing had changed and the pain was getting worse. I started to rule out gas. It was very tender to the touch and the area which it hurt got larger. By the middle of the night, the pain was radiating to my back. I started thinking it was appendicitis. But my husband was saying that usually people have a fever and vomiting if it"s that. Well, I wasn't having those symptoms, but the pain was so bad I knew something wasn"t right. So we went to the emergency room in the morning. Sure enough, after a CT scan, they said it was my appendix and I had it removed that evening. So don"t ignore a pain on your right side that doesn"t go away. Once you"re vomiting and have a fever that just means that it"s ruptured already. Don"t wait for that!

Comment from: Steve L, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

On a Monday night around 7:30 I had an espresso after dinner, somewhat unusual for me. Around 9:00, some intestinal distress started. It felt like some routine indigestion, like I was a little gassy. I blamed it on the late coffee and went to bed. Tuesday all day was more of the same, kind of a nagging indigestion. I ate my normal diet, had some coffee and enjoyed a nice halibut dinner. Around 9:00, I tried chewing three Tums; didn"t help. Suddenly at 10:00, I was hit with severe abdominal pain. Dropped me right to the floor, crying out. I was also instantly nauseated, I literally crawled to the toilet. I was 100% certain I would vomit, with cold sweat and shaking. But after 3-4 minutes, the pain subsided and the nausea went away. I had heard enough previously about appendicitis that I suspected it immediately. We went to the emergency room (ER), got the CT scan confirmation, moved to the hospital, and had surgery at 6:30 AM Wednesday. It was laparoscopic and I was back in the room by 8:30. I read somewhere that antacids can accelerate the appendicitis, and perhaps taking the Tums was related to the pain attack. But if not for the pain, I wouldn"t have known it was urgent, for at least another couple days.

Appendicitis - Treatments Question: How was your appendicitis treated?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.