Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Treatments

How was your appendicitis treated?

Comment from: PAB, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 01

I suddenly lost 20 pounds in 30 days during a continuous episode of diarrhea. Doctors focused on colon issues for 9 months even though CAT scans showed a damaged pancreas. No diagnosis issued and I became sicker. Doctors became disgusted with me. I don't drink alcohol. Finally, I received help via other doctors with the expensive drug Creon! Allows reasonably normal diet. This drug should be mentioned in the discussions on the website.

Comment from: Jeanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I was walking my dogs on the beach one morning, when I had cramping and I rushed home and had diarrhea. I felt ok and went to work. Around noon I felt lightheaded and started shivering uncontrollably. I had my coworker take me home. I sat in the sun until I warmed up and then rested for the remainder of the day. I felt ok when I woke up the next day but my blood pressure was very low. I had slight tenderness on my lower right side, and cramping and pain around to my back. I googled my symptoms and thought I had a bladder or urinary tract infection. Around noon, I started shivering so uncontrollably that I called a taxi to take me to urgent care. They checked me out and said I had very low blood pressure and was dehydrated but no fever. They hooked me up to an IV for fluids and started blood tests. Seven hours later they still didn't know what was wrong with me and were ready to send me home since they were closing, with the instructions to go to the emergency room (ER) if I had any worsening of symptoms. As I was getting ready to go, some blood tests came back with unusual numbers and they told me to go over to the ER to get checked out. I was in the ER for seven hours, while they did blood tests, pressed on my abdomen, and did an ultrasound which did not reveal anything. They sent me in for a CAT scan which showed appendicitis. And I was admitted that evening and had laparoscopic surgery. They told me my removed appendix had been inflamed. During this whole ordeal, the slight pain in my lower right abdomen was the least of my symptoms.

Comment from: MikeR, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had no symptoms at all of appendicitis, none. No pain, no fever, and no diarrhea. As far as I was concerned I was a healthy patient. I had kidney pain on my left side and had a CT scan looking for kidney stones, no stones were found but they did find an inflamed appendix. After consulting with my surgeon I had it removed, started with laparoscopy but the appendix was so swollen they couldn't stitch me back up well. I was opened up to finish the procedure and during that time the surgeon also discovered a diverticulum and removed that. I recovered after 5 days in hospital and two more weeks at home. The appendix was sent to the lab and it was confirmed I had acute appendicitis.

Comment from: xebeast, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I went to the emergency room (ER) on August 4. CT scan revealed perforated appendix. Five weeks of IV and oral antibiotics later, I feel great. My surgeon says in three weeks we will discuss whether or not I need surgery. I guess another CT scan will be in order.

Comment from: sheetmetalmomma, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I was stung over 30 times by wasps. Most have gone away but I still itch and swell up and it has been over a week.

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I have recently purchased a mattress topper and it has really improved my carpal tunnel syndrome condition. It is not waking me up every morning. Hope this may help other sufferers.

Appendicitis - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.