Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Treatments

How was your appendicitis treated?

Comment from: nancy, 65-74 (Patient) Published: October 08

I awakened with severe abdominal pains at 3:00 a.m., took Tylenol and felt somewhat better. That night, more severe pains all across lower abdomen. No vomiting was present. I went to my internist, he X-rayed and saw nothing, sent me for a CT scan. The radiologist sent me straight to the emergency room, with acute appendicitis, with perforation. They did surgery that night, sent me home the next day. The recovery has been horrendous, why I do not know. The physician should have told me there needed care to get the bowels to return to normal. That was a problem for real. This is serious and certainly not a piece of cake. Please recognize severe pain in the abdominal region, most of the time means appendicitis. Go quickly to the emergency room.

Comment from: kids, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My son woke up at 8:15 AM with a stabbing pain behind his belly button and said there is something wrong. I told him to take a shower and if it was not any better, we would go to the hospital. He barely got through the shower, his paid was so bad, he had tears in his eyes and he never cries. I knew it was time to get checked out and headed to the Children's hospital. The ride to the hospital was the worst; every little bump on the road absolutely killed his stomach. Once we arrived, they checked him out and by then the pain started to radiate down the lower right side of abdomen. They knew right away it was his appendix and surgery was done a couple hours later.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: March 20

Tried the Lap way, but there was so much infection, they had to open me up the old way. I had very little symptoms that started on Saturday with not wanting to eat and just thinking I had a stomach virus. I had a sharp pain on Sunday afternoon, which went away quickly, and another lesser one on Monday. I then got my Neighbor to take me to ER. I am in my late 50's and in very good health except for a little high BP that runs in the family. By the time they figured out what was wrong with me, I was waiting in the Operating Room with the Dr's and nurses trying to get my BP up enough to operate. I survived septic shock, my Heart getting out of Rhythm, and five Days in ICU, and six days in regular room having IV antibiotics three times a day.Some of the Dr's I saw, and a couple of Dr.friends told me that especially a latter age, you don't have the severity of pain. They had to leave the main incision open, and after I got dismissed, I and to go to the Wound Center and got put on a Wound Vac for about a week to help with the drainage.

Comment from: Recovering, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Still in hospital, recovering. I had a laparoscopy: three small holes in the belly, then they puff it up with air and use tools to extract the appendix. Due to bed shortages, I was in the hospital over 24 hours before I got surgery, and by then it had ruptured. I'm in some pain, but at least now it's the pain of healing instead of the pains of infection! No fever or vomiting was ever experienced, just stomach cramps, that shifting stabbing pain on the lower right side, and nausea/lack of appetite.

Comment from: lpercelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I am a 56 year old very healthy woman. I was hit with sever nausea, running to the bathroom, where uncontrollable vomiting accrued in waves along with a burning knife feeling around my belly button. this continued most the night. I only had a low grade fever, 100.6. By morning my fever was 102.5 and the fire burning knife like again was in my lower right abdomen. I had my daughter google appendicitis, my husband calls my nurse friend... and off to the ER we went. After a CT scan, blood and urine I was given antibiotics previous to surgery and luckily they took my appendix out laproscopically. 1 day in the hospital and all is good!

Comment from: sunita, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

On 28th Aug-2011, my son aged 12-years developed a mild abdominal pain in the evening which became severe as the night approached but the pain was only confined to lower abdomen at 3 am. We admitted him in the hospital. Some pain killer injections were administered but they proved no relief. The doctor on the first instance diagnosed it as acute appendicitis clinically. Ultrasound scan was done later and hence diagnosed. Open surgery was done on 29th August. My son was allowed to go home after remaining for 2-days in the hospital. Now he is fit and luckily today he has once again going to school. It was a nightmare but anyhow the surgeon saved him.

Appendicitis - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.