Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Treatments

How was your appendicitis treated?

Comment from: hardheaded, 55-64 Male Published: March 13

I am now 61 years of age, my appendix ruptured on me when I was age 9. The last thing I remember was being rushed upstairs to the operating room. I woke up quite a bit later to find myself packed in ice and a big tube stuck in my side drawing out a brown stinky goo. I blacked out, woke up about 3 months later. was suppose to go home on the fist of May but blacked out again, woke up a few weeks later. Can't remember how long I was in the hospital. I am now curious if that episode has anything to do with my health issues now?

Comment from: Chelle Torres, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had been experiencing severe stomach ache for 3 days. It started on the upper right side of my stomach On the first day, I though that it would be relieved when I took Buscopan, but it didn't. Saturday and Sunday the pain got worst. I could now feel it on my whole stomach, but it hurts more on the right side but I still ignored it. Monday, my boss told me to go to the hospital and have it checked. When I got to the hospital the doctor requested for CBC and urinalysis, then injected pain reliever directly to my veins. I went home but it still hurts, the next day I went back to the hospital and they had me undergo a CT scan. They found out the outer lining of my appendix was already swollen and there was no other remedy other than undergoing appendectomy. Doctor said it had just started and that's why it didn't show up.

Comment from: lpercelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I am a 56 year old very healthy woman. I was hit with sever nausea, running to the bathroom, where uncontrollable vomiting accrued in waves along with a burning knife feeling around my belly button. this continued most the night. I only had a low grade fever, 100.6. By morning my fever was 102.5 and the fire burning knife like again was in my lower right abdomen. I had my daughter google appendicitis, my husband calls my nurse friend... and off to the ER we went. After a CT scan, blood and urine I was given antibiotics previous to surgery and luckily they took my appendix out laproscopically. 1 day in the hospital and all is good!

Comment from: sunita, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

On 28th Aug-2011, my son aged 12-years developed a mild abdominal pain in the evening which became severe as the night approached but the pain was only confined to lower abdomen at 3 am. We admitted him in the hospital. Some pain killer injections were administered but they proved no relief. The doctor on the first instance diagnosed it as acute appendicitis clinically. Ultrasound scan was done later and hence diagnosed. Open surgery was done on 29th August. My son was allowed to go home after remaining for 2-days in the hospital. Now he is fit and luckily today he has once again going to school. It was a nightmare but anyhow the surgeon saved him.

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 02

After my busted appendix operation I couldn't breathe without excruciating pain so I took tiny breathes to reduce the pain. I was on heavy dedication for pain and antibiotics. I was hospitalized for 8 days and now 1-1/2 years later I still have pain when I sneeze, cough, twist, jump, and especially if I take a larger than normal breathe. I have had many tests of all kinds and nothing shows up. I got my hospital records and it says I had gangrene and puss with a foul odor when they opened me up. I just have to live with it I suppose. I'm 77 years old and a very active person physically, yard work, 5 acres, and restoring my house alone, flooring, windows, doors, moldings, cove and base etc.

Comment from: carolyne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

It was treated by removal of the appendix, which turned out to be normal. However, the lymph glands were all found to be swollen and the MDs said they would test: three weeks prior to the operation I had a severe viral infection which lasted for about three days. The doctors think that there is a possibility that the two are related but the swollen lymph glands will remain a worry until tests provide something conclusive.

Appendicitis - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.